Peavey Windsor Studio Combo

BeanoBoy

• Members

Any owners of Windsor Studio Combos do any mods to give this amp more bass and overall presence? Would getting a Mercury transformer mod or Bitmo mod lift this promising amp to better tone nirvana? I asked this awhile back and nobody had any real definite thoughts. Didn't pay much for mine and would like to improve it.

• Members

Not played though one, but I'm assuming the "polishing a turd" comment would fit. The Windsor Studio is terrible.

See if FJA would do a mod. I've heard they do amazing things with the head.

Never played through one? How would you know? Anyway, what's FJA?

• Members

Never played through one? How would you know? Anyway, what's FJA?

I meant that to be a ?

I'm tired... that doesn't even make sense

Yes, I have... the power sponge idea is cool though. But the tones left much to be desired. Haven't play with tubes though.

• Members

Very cool little amp even stock. No low end at all but the mids are really thick and punchy, which is where the guitar is supposed to live. An EQ in the loop will bring out some decent lowend too.

I use my BB preamp clean and crank the bass on it. It helps, but the amp still needs something. It sounds pretty good recording through my Line 6 Toneport where I can add some EQ, but overall it's a bit vibeless. I'm ignorant about what the Mercury transformers are about or the Bitmo mods. Wasn't real impressed with the Epi valve Jr. or Blackheart Little Giant, yet I hear the mods help them immensely. Thanks for your input.

• Members

I meant that to be a ?

I'm tired... that doesn't even make sense

Yes, I have... the power sponge idea is cool though. But the tones left much to be desired. Haven't play with tubes though.

The power sponge is cool. Agree the tones are un-inspiring. I have tried a KT 66. Still lacks VIBE. Can you explain what a Mercury or Bitmo mod might achieve? How can I contact JFA? Thanks

• Members
I use my BB preamp clean and crank the bass on it. It helps, but the amp still needs something. It sounds pretty good recording through my Line 6 Toneport where I can add some EQ, but overall it's a bit vibeless. I'm ignorant about what the Mercury transformers are about or the Bitmo mods. Wasn't real impressed with the Epi valve Jr. or Blackheart Little Giant, yet I hear the mods help them immensely. Thanks for your input.

I own/have owned both the Valve Jr and Little Giant. Not impressed at all in them. I like the V58/V8 Crates a lot better and the Blackstar HT-5 far better yet. BTW, the line-out on the Windsor Studio is really good and has low-end that the amp doesn't exhibit through the speaker. It works great directly into a board for live or recording.

• Members

I own/have owned both the Valve Jr and Little Giant. Not impressed at all in them. I like the V58/V8 Crates a lot better and the Blackstar HT-5 far better yet. BTW, the line-out on the Windsor Studio is really good and has low-end that the amp doesn't exhibit through the speaker. It works great directly into a board for live or recording.

I agree it works best directly into my computer. The amp definitely has some textures, I'd just like more. My Vox Ad15 has more attitude, but the Marshall tones don't do it for me. Would like to get a good vintage Marshall tone from the Windsor.

• Members
I agree it works best directly into my computer. The amp definitely has some textures, I'd just like more. My Vox Ad15 has more attitude, but the Marshall tones don't do it for me. Would like to get a good vintage Marshall tone from the Windsor.

I don't like the Marshall models too well on the Valvetronix models. Actually, the best Marshall tone to me, comes from using the SLO model and keeping the gain somewhat low.

• 4 years later...

Archived