Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fender Mustang or Vox Valvetronix?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think this sounds thin and brittle..
    http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=8938138
    yep, if you can't get good rock crunch tones out of any of the Valvetronix models you aren't dialing them in correctly. Even the little 8" models are capable of fat, punchy overdrive tones. However, as you say, the old original series is still the one to have. Just killer tones in those amps!
    tlbonehead@yahoo.com
    www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
    -For Sale:
    -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
    -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
    - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
    - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
    - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

Comment

yep, if you can't get good rock crunch tones out of any of the Valvetronix models you aren't dialing them in correctly. Even the little 8" models are capable of fat, punchy overdrive tones. However, as you say, the old original series is still the one to have. Just killer tones in those amps!

Comment

I really don't get the hate. I've gotta play a Valvetronix again, the one I played a couple years ago I remembered getting some pretty nice crunch tones .
        Guitars: Godin Session CB, Larrivee D-05, Ibanez RG, Hagstrom Swede
        Amps/Cabs: Fargen Miniplex MKII, Egnater Tweaker, Fender Mustang III, Mills Afterburner 4x12

Good deals: Dimebag11, guitarslinger, ThePunisherTF, Wayne87mott, Kev324, zack, alaskaehlers, c2ply, ak37, droptrd, dboy5150, dropthisd, rbasaria, Shooto, Jon Hiller, DoubleBarrel, BabyDaddy, Edge11, bdhn, the gunslinger

"Hi, I'm Yesterday...and today I am looking for Tomorrow"- Maina

Comment

I really don't get the hate. I've gotta play a Valvetronix again, the one I played a couple years ago I remembered getting some pretty nice crunch tones .

I've got a Valvetronix 50 that I keep as a spare amp.

For what it is (a budget amp), I get some pretty good tones out of it.

It's pretty funny that when they first came out people were raving about them, now it's cool to bad mouth them.
          “One who loves & understands nature will never be alone & will never be afraid.”
          -Rachel Carson-

Comment

Today for a cheap modeling amp to do clean / mid gain / passable metal I'd go Mustang III or IV. I used to think the VT stuff, but Fender one upped those Voxes imo.

Comment

I have owned the blue series Valvetronix, and 2 of the AD series. I currently have owned and used at smaller venues, my AD30VT for the last 6 years. I have absolutely no problem dialing in extremely usable sounds.

To get the Fender cleans, it was stated correctly to use a Fender amp. The Vox does not do those especially well. However, I use the AC30TB setting for clean with an Exotic BB in front of the amp input for a slight boost. For effects, I dial in a chorus/delay setting and ease back on the chorus slightly, with a slower delay setting.

For leads, I use the Numetal setting with the gain and channel volume all the way up, treble at 11 o'clock, mids at 2, bass at 10. For some reason at about half volume, this setting sings without any grit or harsh saturation. Add a touch of delay and the amp sounds amazing.

I am currrently looking at several new amps, including a Marshall JMP-1 50 watt head, Vox Pro series 1x12, and Vox AC30HW head. While the first two offerings have more to offer in order to keep space on stage down to a minimum, the last one has one of the best tube tones in clean and saturated sounds I have heard, but has no effects loop. This would mean running any effects through the amp input.

Of the three amps, the Vox is the most versatile, feature-laiden and powerful.
              Two of the nicest gentlemen, and most talented people: Mssr's Diezel and Krampe.
              Je préfèrerais mourir sans un sou dans une rue en Europe que de vivre en Amérique sous l'administration actuelle. Alizée est la meilleure. Vous, les princesses pop américaines, n'avez aucun talent, aucune classe, et vous sonnez comme de la merde. Sarkozy et le reste de l'Europe se moquent de notre président dans son dos.

Comment

I have owned the blue series Valvetronix, and 2 of the AD series. I currently have owned and used at smaller venues, my AD30VT for the last 6 years. I have absolutely no problem dialing in extremely usable sounds.

Yeah, i agree, I have one of the old chrome ones. I take mine to Jams and house parties, easy to carry, loud enough for these sort of things. I'd like to get one of the newer series though as you can store more sounds. On my old one you can get three really, channel 1, channel 2, and manual as the third. The newer ones have two banks of 4 channels each. This is where I think the VOX wins over some of the others.

Comment

• nothingstock
                  nothingstock commented
                  Editing a comment

I have a first-generation Valvetronix AD50VT and love it.  I mostly use the Fender Tweed for clean, the AC30TB for overdrive and the US High Gain for lead tones.  I play out occassionaly and do the pit-orchestra stuff with my high school students for their musicals.  It's got plenty of power and I love the tones I get.  It most certainly doesn't "such" - as one post said, and it doesn't suck either. If something happened to it I would get the 100 watt, 2x12 version to have a bit more headroom but that's it.  Had it for about 5 or 6 years and love the sound every time I plug in.

not too keen on the Mustangs but I do like the Valvetronix models.

tlbonehead@yahoo.com
                www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
                -For Sale:
                -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
                -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
                - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
                - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
                - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

Comment

• Steve2112
                  Steve2112 commented
                  Editing a comment

What don't you like about the Mustangs, bone?

You know I like Vox. I used the Tonelab SE for like 5-6 years in -3-4 different bands. I like the Mustang because of it's Fender heritage and life-like tone. Only reason I could see not liking it is hate for Fender tone. IT's about 80% of what it does.

Depends on the model. I hate the Mustang I and II. Mustang III is nice but not

Comment

• Steve2112
                  Steve2112 commented
                  Editing a comment

Mr.scary96 wrote:
                  Depends on the model. I hate the Mustang I and II. Mustang III is nice but not

Mr. Scary...as a smallish practice amps with a handful of usuable tonees, FX and tuner...all the mustangs are okay...but the III is quite usable. I can;t imagine having somethign like this whan I was a younger player.

Is it a Stilletto? A Bad Cat? JVM? No of course not. But a very cool practice amp for a couple C notes or so....Well hell yeah it's a good amp.

Oops accidentally hit the post button. Continued" as nice as the Valvetronix

Comment

Working...
                X