Pinch harmonics?

NaturalBornBoy

• Members

If you can't for the life of you squeeze out a pinch harmonic on the low 'E' and A strings, is it the pickup, string gauge or amp that's the issue?

Sure technique plays a part but what if technique isn't the problem?

Or maybe technique is the problem. I don't have any trouble getting pinch harmonics from say the 'G' and 'B' strings :idk:

• Members

To be completely honest the biggest problem I've come across when NOT being able to pull of pinch harmonics is the action of the strings... not bragging in any way shape or form but I can pull a pinch harmonic off of any guitar, any amp setup, humbuckers, single coils... doesn't matter... but if the action is too low, forget it.... it just won't happen...

I will say some amps are slightly more difficult to pull them out, but you should never NOT be able to get one, try raising your action....

• Members

To be completely honest the biggest problem I've come across when NOT being able to pull of pinch harmonics is the action of the strings... not bragging in any way shape or form but I can pull a pinch harmonic off of any guitar, any amp setup, humbuckers, single coils... doesn't matter... but if the action is too low, forget it.... it just won't happen...

I will say some amps are slightly more difficult to pull them out, but you should never NOT be able to get one, try raising your action....

Thing is, the problem I'm having is on the lower frets. 1st to the 5th. Me thinks I should give my neck slightly more relief. Raising action from the bridge won't affect the lower frets.

• Members

Technique, technique, technique. Use a very light touch, I've found to get massive squeals you don't actually have to dig a whole lot to the strings. And half of the effect comes from the vibrato, not the pinch harmonic itself.

• Members

One note can trigger many pitches of pinch harmonics.

If you imagine the nodes on the frets where natural harmonics occur, at like 2 3 4 5 7 9 etc etc.

You can mirror this at the body end, only the distance between the nodes is less because it's further up the guitar.

But this will yield harmonics of one note. Very useful.

Also too low an action will make it very difficult. Generally I can do it on any guitar, on most setups, but if the action is too low, it's much harder to the point where some of them won't come out at all.

• Members

One note can trigger many pitches of pinch harmonics.

If you imagine the nodes on the frets where natural harmonics occur, at like 2 3 4 5 7 9 etc etc.

You can mirror this at the body end, only the distance between the nodes is less because it's further up the guitar.

But this will yield harmonics of one note. Very useful.

Also too low an action will make it very difficult. Generally I can do it on any guitar, on most setups, but if the action is too low, it's much harder to the point where some of them won't come out at all.

Check out the big brain on Nerine :eek:

• Members

Check out the big brain on Nerine
:eek:

Just trying to help :idk:

If someone is struggling to get pinched harmonics, it can be because of not hitting node points correctly or having an action that is too low causing them to choke.

I struggled to play them on a les Paul that's action was too low/buzzy.

Don't see why you would call me out for saying that. :rolleyes:

• Members

I thought they were easiest on the low strings??

Maybe I'm just awesome.

Also awesome here. :wave: I can do them on the wound strings waaay more easily than I can on the plain strings.

I'm curious why low action would have any effect on the harmonics. I wouldn't think it would change anything unless you're talking about action so low that you're rattling off other frets.

• Members

Just trying to help
:idk:

If someone is struggling to get pinched harmonics, it can be because of not hitting node points correctly or having an action that is too low causing them to choke.

I struggled to play them on a les Paul that's action was too low/buzzy.

Don't see why you would call me out for saying that.
:rolleyes:

I don't think you were being called out.

Mostly because you're 100% right. I still would put it past us though. :cop:

• Members

Harmonics started LEAPING off the fretboard when I got EMGs...then I added my mxr 10 band to bring in a little extra high end/presence, and that helped even more. Im doing a mako demo video tonight...Ill throw some on there so you can see how they just {censored}ing POP the {censored} off of that rig. Its awesome lol.

• Members

Harmonics started LEAPING off the fretboard when I got EMGs...then I added my mxr 10 band to bring in a little extra high end/presence, and that helped even more. Im doing a mako demo video tonight...Ill throw some on there so you can see how they just {censored}ing POP the {censored} off of that rig. Its awesome lol.

Do eet :rawk:

• Members

I can get pinch harmonics on an acoustic. Sounds like your technique not string height. Also more gain with less eq scooping helps. Keep your thumb almost 90-100 degrees in relation to the string and dig shallow with the pick. Keep your forearm loose and move up and down the length of the string to alter the overtones.

• Members

just don't, every pinhead pinches harmonics left and right, right up there superfluous whammy and tapping

awaits hc style curb stomping
:wave:

I got yelled at by the whole band last practice for replacing entire riffs with nothing but squealies hahaha...Im bored playing the same old songs, so I gotta pass the time somehow lol.

Archived