Change tubes Peavey Triple XXX

Babis

• Members

Hello,

I just bought the Peavey Triple XXX head and I'm quite happy with the sound except tha fact that the overall tone is a bit fuzzy.

Is there any chance I can change this by replace the tubes??

I don't care much about the clean channel.I want the hugest sound possible but without that "fizz"

Thank you in advance

• Members

Originally posted by Duke of Metal

Maybe try some of the JJ KT77s in there? They're sorta like a mix of EL34s and 6L6s. Not as much low end as much a 6L6 but still have alot. the mids are more present than boxy sounding and the highs are smooth.

maybe try some Highgain graded JJ ECC83S for preamp tubes?

Characteristics?Are they going to solve my "fuz problem"??:confused:

• Members

I had one for a long time and always ran e34l's. It still has plenty of low end and sounds a lot better. The kt77's I think would be even better because they give you a better tone and still have tons of low end. If you really want to cut the fuzz get some JJ ecc83's for the preamp and get a 12dw7 or 12at7 for the v2 spot and it will smooth it out a ton. Doing that does cut the gain substantially but there is still enough. When I had mine I ran a 12at7 in v1 and v4 and JJ ecc83s's in the other spots with the e34l's and it really helped the tone out.

• Members

I have a Triple XXX 112. 60watt version.

After using it for a few weeks --

I have some of the same issues.

No matter how far I turn the gain on the crunch channel down, there's always that 'fuzz'. I don't mind it so much on the ultra channel, but I hoped turning the crunch gain way down and the channel volume up, would give me a good grind without the 'fizz'.

I ordered a set of tubes (low gain) from Bob @ Eurotubes and they should be here today. I'll let you know if that helps any.

• Members

Originally posted by imnoshredder

I have a Triple XXX 112. 60watt version.

After using it for a few weeks --

I have some of the same issues.

No matter how far I turn the gain on the crunch channel down, there's always that 'fuzz'. I don't mind it so much on the ultra channel, but I hoped turning the crunch gain way down and the channel volume up, would give me a good grind without the 'fizz'.

I ordered a set of tubes (low gain) from Bob @ Eurotubes and they should be here today. I'll let you know if that helps any.

if you didn't actually get a 12dw7 or 12at7 even the "low gain" tubes he sells aren't going to cut much. However they are dark preamp tubes which definitely take the fuzz down some.

• Members

Originally posted by Sordid1

I had one for a long time and always ran e34l's. It still has plenty of low end and sounds a lot better. The kt77's I think would be even better because they give you a better tone and still have tons of low end. If you really want to cut the fuzz get some JJ ecc83's for the preamp and get a 12dw7 or 12at7 for the v2 spot and it will smooth it out a ton. Doing that does cut the gain substantially but there is still enough. When I had mine I ran a 12at7 in v1 and v4 and JJ ecc83s's in the other spots with the e34l's and it really helped the tone out.

Does XXX support KT77's??It says 6L6 or EL34.

So you suggest

V1 12at7

V2 JJ ecc83

V3 JJ ecc83

V4 12at7

and EL34's as power tubes right??

I hope substantially doesn't mean thinner or less "balls" sound:D

• Members

Originally posted by Babis

Does XXX support KT77's??It says 6L6 or EL34.

So you suggest

V1 12at7

V2 JJ ecc83

V3 JJ ecc83

V4 12at7

and EL34's as power tubes right??

I hope substantially doesn't mean thinner or less "balls" sound:D

Yes they are a direct replacement for el34 type tubes. I had them briefly with my JSX but I like 6l6gc's better in it. I liked e34l's way more in the XXX so go figure.

• Members

Originally posted by Babis

Oh and I forgot to mension that there's a lot of noise coming through the speakers when setting the gain above 12 o' clock.

Can I solve this by changing tubes??

the preamp tube change will help with that but the way the noise gate is set on that amp you will need an additional gate if you want to run the gain anywhere over noon. I never needed more gain that that for metal anyway since that amp has the most gain of anything I have ever plugged into.

• Members

Even than the Triple Rectifier??

One last thing...

I haven't turned tha amp really loud yet cause it arrived today and you know my neighbours will kick me out of the building.iI have the volume knobs at around 20:00 o'clock.Does it have really much difference if I crank it up??

PS Don't blame me.It's my first tube amp:) :)

• Members

if you crank it up, you should be able to get by using less gain...which will make the amp more clear, and less fizzy

i've never owned one, only played them in stores etc. the xxx sounds decent at low volumes, but substantially better when cranked

also, what kinda cab are you using, and how old is it? new speakers can make things sound overly fizzy on their own

• Members

Originally posted by charliedango

Unless the amp was fundementally flawed by design....which it is.

well whether you like the amp or not there is enough low end there for anybody that isn't a {censored}ing retard. I never had my bass above 7 or 8 when I owned it.

• Members

I've never played one with the bass past 2. Brown sound by turning down :thu: Also, in that same vein, you can cut down on the buzz and sizzle on the gain channels by turning the OPPOSITE channel's volume down. Say, you want the Crunch sizzle to calm down, so you turn down the Ultra volume. Because of this, I like to play them with the master high and the channel volumes low.

But yeah, broken-in, quality speakers help a lot, as do JJs in the poweramp - hopefully E34Ls, but you might have to get by with regular EL34s. A lower gain preamp tube or two to tame the buzz and get some more usable range on the gain knobs. Don't use bright pickups with a XXX - I like Dimarzios, specifically Super Distortions, PAF Pros, Tone Zones, Air Nortons and Breeds.

All in all, though, you have to realize it's a BIG tweaker's amp - your signal chain can't have a single weak link, or it will come out in a big way in the final sound.

• Members

well whether you like the amp or not there is enough low end there for anybody that isn't a {censored}ing retard. I never had my bass above 7 or 8 when I owned it.

So I'm a retard now, eh?

I owned the amp and used it at many shows so I know how much bass it has and how much it lacks.

• Members

So I'm a retard now, eh?

I owned the amp and used it at many shows so I know how much bass it has and how much it lacks.

Well I didn't really mean that but that thing has bass for days so I have trouble seeing why someone would need more. Like I said I can totally understand why someone wouldn't get along with the voicing or the active eq but I could get a stupid amount of low end with it.

• Members

Well I didn't really mean that but that thing has bass for days so I have trouble seeing why someone would need more. Like I said I can totally understand why someone wouldn't get along with the voicing or the active eq but I could get a stupid amount of low end with it.

I could never get the bass response I wanted out of it because of what I considered it's primary flaw. I wanted medium gain with a lot of punch and low end so I would adjust the gain and volume accordingly to try and get what I was looking for. Since the gain control adds saturation and volume, I couldn't turn it up past 2 or 3 (not o'clock) or there would be far too much gain. The problem with that is that the gain control also controls the level of low end in the signal and since I had it rolled down quite a bit, I could never get the low end I needed without having unbearable amounts of saturation.

I understand a lot of people like to bury themselves in saturation and compression, but that's just not for me. I like tight, responsive and most of all percussive sound with lots of headroom and plenty of tonal options at my disposal. I didn't find it in that amp.

• Members

I could never get the bass response I wanted out of it because of what I considered it's primary flaw. I wanted medium gain with a lot of punch and low end so I would adjust the gain and volume accordingly to try and get what I was looking for. Since the gain control adds saturation and volume, I couldn't turn it up past 2 or 3 (not o'clock) or there would be far too much gain. The problem with that is that the gain control also controls the level of low end in the signal and since I had it rolled down quite a bit, I could never get the low end I needed without having unbearable amounts of saturation.

I understand a lot of people like to bury themselves in saturation and compression, but that's just not for me. I like tight, responsive and most of all percussive sound with lots of headroom and plenty of tonal options at my disposal. I didn't find it in that amp.

ok that makes a little more sense. It's definitey a gain monster and fairly compressed (although pretty damn articulate) so if that's not your cup of tea I can 100% understand why you didn't like the amp.

• Members

well if you were lookin' at a XXX for low gain thump you WERE looking at the wrong amp for sure.

• 7 years later...
  • Members

fistertain wrote:

well if you were lookin' at a XXX for low gain thump you WERE looking at the wrong amp for sure.

I just got a great deal on a JSX 2x12 combo...and was looking for information on tube change. I am going to necro this thread! YES!

I don't even know if these guys are still on HC...but I felt this was an extremely important topic. Charliedango thinks he's very clever by exposing "design flaws"  of the JSX. fistertain hit a bullseye by expsoing the logic flaw of charlie. I isee charlie never cam back to acknowledge it.

Folks this is VERY important when trying to find your amp. A "design flaw" would be somethign like overheating...blowing fuses. A design flaw is not having to little bass, or not enough mid gain chunk. fister is exactly correct that you (charlie) just didn't find the right amp that suits you. It's a very tricky process and you might have to go through many amps to find that perfect one for you. People obviously are happy with the JSX, but that doesn't mean you would be. And it does NOT make it a "design flaw".

I hope charlie found his amp. I'd say a Marshall and pedal would better suit him...which so ironically is what Satch is using these days. LOL.

Archived