I don't know what it is...

duncan

• Members

...but whenever I see pictures of a (relatively unknown) band I've not heard yet (like a local band from another city) and I see them playing strats, I assume they're awful. Like high school talent show through a gorilla awful.

Yet, if I see them playing telecasters, I assume they have their {censored} together.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by duncan View Post
...but whenever I see pictures of a (relatively unknown) band I've not heard yet (like a local band from another city) and I see them playing strats, I assume they're awful. Like high school talent show through a gorilla awful.

Yet, if I see them playing telecasters, I assume they have their {censored} together.

Preconceived notions, bias, prejudice? idn_smilie.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by mbarn3065 View Post

Preconceived notions, bias, prejudice? idn_smilie.gif
well, duh. But nothing that I'm consciously aware of. I mean, I don't like strats, but I recognize that they (for the most part) are well made instruments and the vast majority of non-beginner players of them make them sound awesome.

I mean, I could see a picture of a band and their guitarist could be playing a custom shop strat, and I'd still think his band would suck.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by telephant

View Post

How about when you watch the opening band set up and the guitarist pulls out an Epi LP and his Marshall MG? Every single one of us is thinking, "This is going to be terrible." icon_lol.gif

Cheap, pointy guitar and line 6, and I get skeered.

• Members

Here, if the n00bs dont have Epis, they have Bronze Series BC Rich guitars, and cheaper Jacksons that all seem to be 80's Camaro blue.

If no MG Marshall.. they got low end Crate stuff (set to the idiot setting. everything dimed..mids turned off..and 3 diffrent dist / od pedals, and 10 tons of chorus.)

• Members

I feel the same way if they are all wearing black pants

Black pants are cool, but if they're all wearing black pants, it's probably staged, and I probably hate them.

Unless I can actually tell they are a highschool talent show first time band, I will be biased, and I'm usually surprised. That said, I typically never let my bias toward their gear stray my opinion after they're done. When they finish their set, I let the whole performance be what I judge.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Phrophus

View Post

Vintage gear or less well-known gear (like {censored} that's not sold in magician's friend), and I'll usually get intrigued enough to stick around. It doesn't have to be expensive or boutique or anything, either.

I get that a lot from guys in bands we play with.... they normally say they want to stick around and hear the Laney, most of them never heard one in person. cool.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by 100 watt View Post
Here, if the n00bs dont have Epis, they have Bronze Series BC Rich guitars, and cheaper Jacksons that all seem to be 80's Camaro blue.

If no MG Marshall.. they got low end Crate stuff (set to the idiot setting. everything dimed..mids turned off..and 3 diffrent dist / od pedals, and 10 tons of chorus.)
That's the Dimebag setting...."Dime" everything, Bag the mids....

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74

View Post

I get that a lot from guys in bands we play with.... they normally say they want to stick around and hear the Laney, most of them never heard one in person. cool.gif

Exactly. I've known about Laney since I've known anything about guitars courtesy of Iommi, but until about a year ago, I'd never heard one. I also usually assume that someone playing something less well-known actually has done some homework, which makes me think they might be more concerned about tone and less about image. I've been wrong before though.

• Members

Yeah, I feel ya.

I feel the same way when I walk into a club that used to have live music and now they have a lame, hipster, nerded-out DJ w/a {censored}ing Mac Book and/or turn table playing {censored}ting dance music, and hiding a dildo in his ass.

I think to myself,....yup, this place sucks.

Archived