Marshall 2203X 800ri Opinions

chriscnb

• Members

I'm looking at Marshalls for my next amp....the 2203X JCM800 Reissue has me very interested. I owned a 2204 many years ago and honestly haven't played an 800 in years so just looking for some opinions on the reissue.

I know it can dish out balls to the wall rock n roll, but for the band I'm in I need a clean tone. Nothing too special, just passable. How are you guys setting up your 800 rig? Setting the amp with a slight breakup and boosting it for harder stuff? I remember these being dynamic enough to do that with your volume controls.

Clips? Doesn't Nerine have one?

How is the loop?

Thanks bros.

• Members

I have a 2204. I had a RCA12at7 in the phase inverter and was very surprised at how well it cleaned up with my strat. Really I was stunned. But I did pop a Penta Labs 12ax7 in the PI and now it sounds like a proper Marshall. The other thing is my strat has a Q filter on the tone knob instead of a cap. So rather than cut the highs, the filter pretty much halves the output of the pickups when turned all the way down. But even without the filter, I was getting very nice clean tones.

• Members

Im gonna do some clips soon. Well, when I get back from Florida probably.

Basically, it's all the amp I need and more.

I prefer it to:

Bogner Shiva, Diezel Einstein, Bogner Goldfinger, Bogner Ecstasy 101b, Bogner Ecstasy Classic.

So that should give you some idea.

It cleans up great.

I set mine with the gain maxed, bass maxed, middle 7, treble 4-5, presence 3-5

For extra gain, I boost with a TS9

For cleans, I use guitar volume control and it works great.

The loop is very good. No tone sucking I can hear. It also takes every pedal I have used with it very well. :)

Everyone knows I have been raving about mine. I don't think I have played an amp I like more.

• Members

Im gonna do some clips soon. Well, when I get back from Florida probably.

Basically, it's all the amp I need and more.

I prefer it to:

Bogner Shiva, Diezel Einstein, Bogner Goldfinger, Bogner Ecstasy 101b, Bogner Ecstasy Classic.

So that should give you some idea.

It cleans up great.

I set mine with the gain maxed, bass maxed, middle 7, treble 4-5, presence 3-5

For extra gain, I boost with a TS9

For cleans, I use guitar volume control and it works great.

The loop is very good. No tone sucking I can hear. It also takes every pedal I have used with it very well.
:)

Everyone knows I have been raving about mine. I don't think I have played an amp I like more.

I'd love to hear some clips. I know you're all about these, {censored} they must be good if Nerine likes them LOL. :lol: If I remember the gain maxed out on an 800 is the next stage after the first signs of breakup (not much gain at all)- haha, sorry that's the best way I can describe it. Am I right with about that? For a boost I'll be using a TS9ri, Keeley Compressor, and LPB-1.

Is the 800 touch sensitive/dynamic enough that I won't lose tons of volume when I roll back the knob for cleans? Sometimes I just need a bigger clean for some of the funky rhythm work.

Good to hear about the FX loop as well. Have any of you guys tried running a delay out front?

• Members

I'd love to hear some clips. I know you're all about these, {censored} they must be good if Nerine likes them LOL.
:lol:
If I remember the gain maxed out on an 800 is the next stage after the first signs of breakup (not much gain at all)- haha, sorry that's the best way I can describe it. Am I right with about that? For a boost I'll be using a TS9ri, Keeley Compressor, and LPB-1.

Is the 800 touch sensitive/dynamic enough that I won't lose tons of volume when I roll back the knob for cleans? Sometimes I just need a bigger clean for some of the funky rhythm work.

Good to hear about the FX loop as well. Have any of you guys tried running a delay out front?

The gain maxed on a 2203 is sort of like a very slightly gainier midgain tone. Bare in mind I don't use stupid gain like most noobs. So my idea of midgain is probably less than others. I would describe it a thick crunchy tone with upper mid bite. It does need some volume to sound its best, but it does sound fine at lower volumes too.

It's very very touch responsive. It's a simple circuit doing its job. It isn't a resistor and capacitor network that is only going to spoil the immediacy and feel and dull the tone. In fact this is one of the issues I have with most amps nowadays. You can easily get a good clean sound by rolling the volume back on your guitar. With my Strat it works wonders. With my Les Paul it's doable, but you have to try a bit harder. I put it down to my Les Paul though. Being a custom it doesn't have very good roll off through any amp.

I haven't tried delay out front. That is always strictly in the loop for me.

The loop also works great for a solo boost. Put in a pedal such as the CAE/MXR MC401 boost and just dual in how much additional volume you need :)

If you go too much it goes funny but I think that's the phase inverter being hit too hard. Could be wrong.

Either way, I usually use about 4-5 dB of volume boost for solos. It'll take 10 or more before it goes weird.

I can't recommend it enough really. It is a simple circuit, it's easy to work on, it's built well, it rarely goes wrong. It works for nearly any style or gig, it sounds great, looks cool, and is a PROPER Marshall.

I would seriously consider saying it is the best amp I have ever owned. I wish I had got one sooner. It's a great platform for the rest of your rig and doesn't cloud the things you add to it. Every guitar sounds different through it.

That's the beauty of the 800 circuit. It's about as pure as it gets. And that's why I like it.

If you want the modified sound:

Put an eq in the loop. Boost the 2-2.5kHz region. Maybe a little bit of 8 too. Add some low rumble to taste.

Add a boost in front

Voila. Classic modified tones. That, believe me, runs an Ecstasy !VERY! close if that's your bag.

BAST AMPz EVAR!

:)

Yeah I'm a fanboi. This amp deserves it though. It devestates band mixes if you want it to. But it will quite happily sit in a mix too. It buries most other amps too. The authority that this thing has in the mids is awesome.

• Members

Thanks for the detailed input bro. I got my high gain covered with my Soldano and your description sounds great, sounds like what I remember too.

I will be using humbuckers, but my SC cleans up fairly well, plus I have a coil split. Good to know about the boost too should I ever need it.

I'm leaning more and more towards an 800. 800+Soldano dual amp rig = crushing?

• Members

Thanks for the detailed input bro. I got my high gain covered with my Soldano and your description sounds great, sounds like what I remember too.

I will be using humbuckers, but my SC cleans up fairly well, plus I have a coil split. Good to know about the boost too should I ever need it.

I'm leaning more and more towards an 800. 800+Soldano dual amp rig = crushing?

It will win. You might end up using the 800 for everything though... ;)

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I feel the same as Nerine about my 2203x.

I have a Tubescreamer out front and a volume pedal in the loop and I can cover EVERYTHING with that amp!!

Jazz, Country, Blues, R&B, southern rock, classic rock, metal.

One of my favorite things about it is it totally nails the Judah Priest "Screaming For Vengeance" tone... among all the other things it does so well.

Between it and my DSL 100... I don't currently gas for any other amp.

I highly recommend!!!

• Members

I love mine. Have had it for almost 9 years. The tone is amazing and very versatile and takes pedals very well up front. Unfortunately I am not in a band anymore so it's been sitting in my room for a few years with about an hour or less of action in that time. I use my '67 Bassman almost exclusively. I know I have to sell the 800 but it's tough to let it go.

Archived