What gauge strings did Hendrix use?

-=MYK=-

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've seen so many conflicting stories on this I wonder if it's ever been settled. Ernie Ball ran an ad a few years ago in Guitar Player that showed a handwritten sales receipt from Manny's that showed a guitar purchase (forget if it was a Strat or something else) and several packs of Extra Slinky's, which are .009's. I believe his tech said he used .009's, but other people have insisted he used .010's or even heavier strings. Jeff Beck was quoted in an interview a couple of years ago saying that he used really light strings when he first started playing, until Jimi told him to "quit using those rubber bands"; at the time of the interview Beck said he was playing .011's. Who knows?

For years Clapton has been reported to use Super Slinky's (again, a .010 - .046 set), but when he was on tour a few years ago there was a GP article with a sidebar where his tech, Lee Dickson, described his setup for the tour, stating that he was playing a .009 - .042 set. I never know who to believe on these things.

• Members

Originally posted by DonK

I've seen so many conflicting stories on this I wonder if it's ever been settled. Ernie Ball ran an ad a few years ago in Guitar Player that showed a handwritten sales receipt from Manny's that showed a guitar purchase (forget if it was a Strat or something else) and several packs of Extra Slinky's, which are .009's. I believe his tech said he used .009's, but other people have insisted he used .010's or even heavier strings. Jeff Beck was quoted in an interview a couple of years ago saying that he used really light strings when he first started playing, until Jimi told him to "quit using those rubber bands"; at the time of the interview Beck said he was playing .011's. Who knows?

For years Clapton has been reported to use Super Slinky's (again, a .010 - .046 set), but when he was on tour a few years ago there was a GP article with a sidebar where his tech, Lee Dickson, described his setup for the tour, stating that he was playing a .009 - .042 set. I never know who to believe on these things.

Yup, the Mannys reciept with the Ernie Ball strings causes folks to claim he used Ernie Ball strings.

It's been HIGHLY documented he used 10-38 Fender sets......and how often he stuck a .009 on the high E is anybody's guess.

As to the "I wish he tuned" comment.

Who...back then was in tune that wanged a stock Strat?:)

Archived