iRig equivalent for Android?

wrongnote85

• Members

is there such a thing? my searches have turned up nothing, but post up anything you know of.

also post up helpful guitar apps for android that you've got.

i use the Datuner app all the time. fully chormatic tuner that can change hz levels and whatnot and is color coded for sharp,flat, and in tune.

• Members

My understanding is that the way the Android OS is built, there's too much inherent latency for a real-time audio processing app to work well. That's why you don't see anything like that. (I have a T-Mobile/HTC G2)

lame, so i'm going to have to get an isomething to do anything like that.

• Members

There were talks that ICS was supposed to solve the latency problems, but I don't think it did anything.

So far, ICS is MUCH faster and smoother on my Motorola Xoom tablet. I am really hoping that iRig or Amplitude or ANYONE makes a guitar interface. Please? I no wants iPad!

• Members

My understanding is that the way the Android OS is built, there's too much inherent latency for a real-time audio processing app to work well. That's why you don't see anything like that. (I have a T-Mobile/HTC G2)

From what I read a few months back, it wasn't a latency issue. It was more of a designing it to work with too many different sets of hardware issue.

I have the Ampkit and Amplitube software. They're ok as a backup at a gig, but neither really sounds good. I don't even use it anymore.

• Members

From what I read a few months back, it wasn't a latency issue. It was more of a designing it to work with too many different sets of hardware issue.

Yeah, that's what I understood, too. Again, ICS was supposed to standardized a bunch of that.

• Members

I have the Ampkit and Amplitube software.
They're ok as a backup at a gig, but neither really sounds good. I don't even use it anymore.

you have that on what?

• Members

I find the I-phone apps for guitar to be almost cool but ultimately awful.

I have the I-rig and Amplitube and Ampkit and I even fell for thet PRS POS.

All kind of suck with amplitube being the closest to working well but not quite.

• Members

Give it time. For such a novelty item its probably not on their list of priorities. It's not just a matter of processing since a lot of phones, especially my Samsung note can handle processing for many daw apps if needed.. iOS versions or any other mobile guitar apps still sound like shit imo.

Get a laptop and use Scuffham S gear or something else. I laugh when people buy this $100 worth of extra hardware and software just to sound like fizzy shit on their fucking phone.. of course those designers count on the want vs necessity anyway. It's like the dog licking his balls thing I guess, so they know who will buy into it no matter how mediocre. :lol:

• Members

I'm doubting it will ever happen because of the latency thing but also:

{censored}ing phones on Android are so different phone to phone.

So you have a 2 fold issue, hardware and software.

Never gonna happen. Bow down now to your imasters.

• Members

All kind of suck with amplitube being the closest to working well but not quite.

I bought that {censored}ing PRS cable bull{censored} too. Total ripoff.

Garageband for iphone is awesome though.....and with that new recording interface for iphone/ipad that Tascam is selling now, you could have a super portable mini studio to run your preamps/modelers/mics in to.

I've been quite impressed with the acoustic guitar recordings I can do using only my iphone's built in mic and garageband.

• Members

I bought that {censored}ing PRS cable bull{censored} too. Total ripoff.

Garageband for iphone is awesome though.....and with that new recording interface for iphone/ipad that Tascam is selling now, you could have a super portable mini studio to run your preamps/modelers/mics in to.

I've been quite impressed with the acoustic guitar recordings I can do using only my iphone's built in mic and garageband.

that sounds pretty cool.

• Members

android's downfall is fragmentation. too many older versions out there on old hardware, too many old versions on new hardware, mixed in with new versions on new hardware which have no standard and with the OS tweaked by most of the manufacturers.

i am so beyond over android at this point it's not even funny. and it started when the tpain auto tune app came out.

• Members

GarageBand amps blow away the others. I can get some great tones in that app. What an amazing app. I think Apple should license it to Android and Windows 8 so everyone can have it. Because everyone should have it. That will never happen though as we know, even if the latency issue gets resolved.

• Members

android's downfall is fragmentation. too many older versions out there on old hardware, too many old versions on new hardware, mixed in with new versions on new hardware which have no standard and with the OS tweaked by most of the manufacturers.

i am so beyond over android at this point it's not even funny. and it started when the tpain auto tune app came out.

I don't know about that: Recently I bought a sony ericsson xperia. The way they tweaked the os, it was even smoother and "faster" scrolling than any ios device. In fact the whole job sony did makes my old iphone look exactly that. Old. Not to mention all the things it didn't do. But as far as "fragmentation" goes, the programmers nag about it all the time. Perhaps they are lazy sobs though, what pc programmers should say all these years? Going the apple route is the easy way here.

But as long as phone rig and stuff like that, buying a pocket pod or even better a zoom g series for dirt cheap (you can find a g2 for less than the app) is a far better sounding and safer backup to carry in the gig bag.

Still, ola can make them sound more than decent

[video=youtube;P_BABYU9aoY]

Actually scratch that it sounds pretty darn good. But gigging with stuff like this or even rehearsing is totally different than the ready mix he did here, isn't it?

• 7 months later...
  • Members

But as far as "fragmentation" goes, the programmers nag about it all the time. Perhaps they are lazy sobs though, what pc programmers should say all these years?

It is not just about fragmentation and lazy programmers.  Up until android 4.1 it was not possible to get an audio buffer small enough to have reasonable latency.  Since 4.1 as far as I know only the Galaxy Nexus has actually made a smaller buffer available even though it is a possibility.  This is why we have gone down the USB route and created "usbEffects", however, this does suffer from the fragmentation as not every android phone or tablet supports usb audio either.  So there is progress but also frustration :).

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived