Fender amps with dirt channels?

thom

• Members

This is more out of curiousity/fun than anything else, my amp wish is already out of control, and I already have a Fender amp that falls into the cathegory I'm talking about...

So do we got, including discontinued/old amps?

I'm not really interested in their hybrid or ss stuff btw, but other than that anything goes. Am I forgetting anything? 

- Hot Rod series

- The Twin ('red knob' version)

- The Twin (protube series, with bf cosmetics)

- Blues Deluxe

- Super-Sonic

- Pro-sonic

- Tone-Master

Doesn't seem like much, I've got to be overlooking at least a couple amps here...Right?

Also, anone who's familair with a number of those amps...If you had to pick one of those combos based on the distortion channel: Which one would it be?

• Members

My bandmate has a Fender "Super Twin Reverb"...six 6L6GC power tubes, 180 watts output, and it does have a distortion/drive channel, but my friend says it sounds horrible, he just runs the amp clean and uses pedals for his overdrive sounds. It's also notable for what I presume is an active tone stack due to the tone knobs being marked - 5, -4,....0...+4,+5 and so on. It also has an odd "compactron" type tube which has 3 preamp tubes in one device, good luck finding one of those when it needs replacing. 

• Members

The higher wattage Rivera-designed Fenders fit your category.

Twin II, Concert II.....etc.

Basically the channels are foot switchable. The drive channel has a master volume and mid boost. the clean channel has a treble boost. Tube driven effects loop which can be jumpered for more gain. Presence control along with 3 band EQ. Reverb on both channels. Separate gain control.

These are a great bargain in my opinion among vintage Fender amps. They are arguably the most sophisticated PTP wired amps Fender ever built. They are also the LAST PTP wired amps Fender ever built. There's a huge modding following for the Concert because of its high wattage, sophisticated circuitry and PTP wiring. There's also less worry about devaluing the amp because they aren't legendary collectables (yet) and they are easily returned to stock.

It used to be that you could get a Concert II for $600 to $700 on Ebay, but shipping is a pain because they ARE heavy...and prices are rising.

They do the blackface Fender cleans like a Super reverb or Twin. The overdrive sounds kind of Mesa Boogie like to me.

Like this one. A tad more expensive but the pedal is included (worth $100 and also shipping is free)

The pedal is a unique device. You can't use other Fender pedals on this series. There was a modern reproduction that works fine but a vintage original is nice. It has lit diodes to indicate which channel is active. The pedal also turns the reverb on and off along with switching channels.

head version a little cheaper.

Archived