The Official HCAF MMA thread.

anti-flag193

• Members

There's no reason to make a new thread for every upcoming event so I'm making this thread to discuss all things MMA: News, upcoming events, your training schedules...etc. There will be spoilers in this thread so don't check in here following an event if you don't want it spoiled.

With that said, did anyone read about the Fedor/Aoki grappling gi match today? No vids yet but I got pics.
20090429142.jpg

Not a huge size difference between Aoki and Fedor
fedoraoki.jpg

20090429132.jpg
20090429137.jpg

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What we could use this for: Sometimes I am sooo busy there is MMA on TV that night and I miss it. We could use a thread to warn us of any live events etc.

Not just UFC but the ones of VS tv etc etc.

I am always fuuuuuuu when I miss the ultimate fighter etc etc.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by thefyn View Post
What we could use this for: Sometimes I am sooo busy there is MMA on TV that night and I miss it. We could use a thread to warn us of any live events etc.

Not just UFC but the ones of VS tv etc etc.

I am always fuuuuuuu when I miss the ultimate fighter etc etc.

yeah, its pretty hard to remember a show thats on the same time, same channel, every single week...

• Members

i'd be curious to hear about who here is actually into MMA training, and what exactly their training consists of...

the gym i just signed up at has a guy that wants to get a 3 hour class deal going twice a week, but as of now there aren't enough people signed up to get it off the ground which is a real bummer...i talked to the guy on the phone for a good hour and what he's trying to offer is pretty much perfect for a noob like me, and for $40/month it's hard to say no

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by cobrahead1030 View Post
i'd be curious to hear about who here is actually into MMA training, and what exactly their training consists of...

the gym i just signed up at has a guy that wants to get a 3 hour class deal going twice a week, but as of now there aren't enough people signed up to get it off the ground which is a real bummer...i talked to the guy on the phone for a good hour and what he's trying to offer is pretty much perfect for a noob like me, and for $40/month it's hard to say no
mma training =

grappling techniques
-free rolling
wrestling techniques
-freestyle wrestling
striking technigues
-sparring

im not really sure what you're asking so if you want more specifics I will help if i can

• Members

yeah there has to be a new thread every time. although this would be good for discussion i guess in general their still has to be a new thread for new events like the griffin/silva, will definately be watching that.

also my cousin is training in MMA, not sure what exactly the training consists of or how often he goes cause he actually doesn't talk about it much, i'll have to ask him specifics of his training

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Rear Naked View Post
mma training =

grappling techniques
-free rolling
wrestling techniques
-freestyle wrestling
striking technigues
-sparring

im not really sure what you're asking so if you want more specifics I will help if i can
he said the program was intended to be karate-based, but they can focus more on boxing and bjj depending on what you want to learn

MMA competition isn't even legal in this state, so it's hard to find anyone that teaches anything beyond basics

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by cobrahead1030 View Post
he said the program was intended to be karate-based, but they can focus more on boxing and bjj depending on what you want to learn

MMA competition isn't even legal in this state, so it's hard to find anyone that teaches anything beyond basics
Its very hard to break into mma without a wrestling base. It is impossilbe to find a place that will teach you wrestling. catch 22. having a wrestling base enables you to always be able to attain a dominant position and prevent yourself from being in a bad position. If you cant learn wrestling, which is understsandable, then i would suggest starting out with boxing and bjj. If you really want to start fighting mma one day you will need to find a place that will train your wrestling skills. If you just want to learn to to defend yourself and have fun getting a killer workout, stay the fuck away from karate and tae kwon do and any mall strip dojo's. those are great for children because they teach respect and honor but in the real world a boxer will beat the piss out of a karate instructor who is trying to get off his favorite kata while the boxer is throwing effective and powerful combinations. Go to a boxing gym and take bjj if you can find a school. those 2 elements will give you an excellent base both for protecting yourself and fighting in a controlled environment.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by jnurp View Post
Its very hard to break into mma without a wrestling base. It is impossilbe to find a place that will teach you wrestling. catch 22. having a wrestling base enables you to always be able to attain a dominant position and prevent yourself from being in a bad position. If you cant learn wrestling, which is understsandable, then i would suggest starting out with boxing and bjj. If you really want to start fighting mma one day you will need to find a place that will train your wrestling skills. If you just want to learn to to defend yourself and have fun getting a killer workout, stay the fuck away from karate and tae kwon do and any mall strip dojo's. those are great for children because they teach respect and honor but in the real world a boxer will beat the piss out of a karate instructor who is trying to get off his favorite kata while the boxer is throwing effective and powerful combinations. Go to a boxing gym and take bjj if you can find a school. those 2 elements will give you an excellent base both for protecting yourself and fighting in a controlled environment.
perhaps if you stopped by your own gym on a tuesday or saturday, you might know we do Judo and freestyle on those daysidea.gif

a good BJJ school will have you working takedowns.

Archived