Budget: 2.5k$ for AMP+CAB and only strange things are happening

sphynxy

• Members

Hey guys & gals,

isn't trying out amps to buy shoud be fun and joyfull? Well i'm kinda going mad :emoticon-misc-005:

Here's something funny: my current set-up that i actually like is Ibanez rg270 (with 80' S.Duncan JB and DiMarzio ToneZone) plugged straight into a BROKEN 1 channel Fender Frontman 25! I've owned this combo since the beggining and got really far using just that and some cool guitars incl. a hand-made Valley Arts. Rehearsed, gigged, recorded with it, sat on and dropped it and it never disappointed. Call me crazy-i'd agree :) Last year something went wrong with the clean channel..while at the same time the OD channel got deeper somehow. Then while messing with a friend's cheap RG (which never took sereously)- combined the two together and couldn't believe my ears! 

I play mostly sessions and prog:Rage, Victor Smolski...and this combination just a killer for straight not over distorted metal sound-without any pedals!! But of course i just grew attached to that mysterious cheap gear- because it makes me work harder on my execution..i've been a pro musician for 6 year now and need a reliable versitile  Hi Gain amp for gigs, sessions and home recording of demo's.

The reason i wrote this is that i've checked a bunch of tubers: Mesa's Rectifiers and Mark V, 5150III, El Diablo 60, JVM4oo, Bugeras(china quality), Fireball and Powerball, Valveking100(china quality), Carvin V3 and V3m.

Q1: Most of them lack clear midrange to my taste, they sound HOLLOW, could it  be something to do with the v30's? Is it me? 'Cause i know most of them are great amps! The Engl's i heard with v60 were a different story.

Q2: Only Powerball and Mark V pleased my ears, while Engl's (v60's) have the best high-gain "to Your face" with deadly sterile clean, and Mark V (v30's) is the most versitile but less cool gain. They both cost here at least 700$ more. 

Is there anything in between them to check?

Q3: Considering that You'd have additional 350$ and wanted to start learning bass and keys, would You buy a less desirable but pretty versitile (say GB El Diablo60+4x12 V30 Framus) amp for 1.3K$+compensating stompboxes, and invest more in the bass and lessons? or go for a cheap but cool Ibanez bass an put the max on pure guitar sound straight from the amp?

It's impossible to A/B compare any cabs or close priced amps here- if any store has anything worthy it's normaly just one brand...So confused and overwhelmed,I JUST WANNA MAKE MUSIC-not travel around for 1 amp at a time that sounds "meh"-

just need another perspective.

Sorry abot too much info on myself, THANK YOU!

Tom A.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"DO THE BEST AND F+++k THE REST!"

• 2 weeks later...

Archived