Best place to buy blank cassette tapes?

Cougar Hunter

• Members

Call around some used record stores? The nerdflingers there would probably know where you could pick some up. You could also try eBay. A quick search of "blank cassette tapes" brings up a ton of results.

• Members

I think overall a cheaper and less-labour-intensive solution is to find a company that still makes x amont of cassette tapes from the material you send them.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to copy 100 of them manually and the expenses of the cassettes bought from store will most certainly exceed the expenses of buying them from a company that has the right wholesale accounts and connections.

But seriously, why not a CD?

I did understand the cassette thing back in 2000's when manufacturing CD's was still quite expensive and folks actually still had cassette decks, but today.... it's pretty much the opposite. Few people own a deck and CD demos are damn cheap to make.

• Members

Brilliant. Tapes are the new vinyl. An old tascam dual cassette deck at a garage sale and 100 blank tapes off ebay should run you $50 max.

When you sell all 100 in record time, CD dweebs will still be jerkin off trying to give away their vanilla bland media with no sex appeal. Winning

• Members

TImeMachinePhoneBooth-thumb-330x209-3592

Funny, and Sony just killed the Walkman this past winter, which was considered the nail in the coffin.

They are kinda hot with nostalgia buffs, but only because they and their players can be bought dirt cheap. But it's not a hi-fi thing like vinyl, cassettes have always been considered a weak medium, 8-track much better fidelity (which is why cartridges stayed in radio station until digital soundboards came about), but cassette was the more convenience package. But tape wears out. Wouldn't be a bad marketing tool, but I think it'll cost you more than it's worth, since it should be a short-lived fad.

• Members

Also, in before NOS C-cassettes, that sweet, lush tape saturation toan and warm hiss, most definitely the warm hiss :love:

...so unlike cold, sterile compact discs. Also, I heard the vintage ferric oxide coating preserves all those fragile harmonics that the more modern chromium dioxide or [ugh] ferrichrome coating crushes... :lol:

Reputedly Eric Johnson prefers the toan of using Band Aid as write protection instead of those plastic tabs that introduce a "fakey" plastic coloration to toanz.

Archived