(Tube -> Solid State) Finding a Replacement Amp

Thomas4024

• Members

Hello, I would like to find a replacement amp for my current Peavey Classic 30 1x12. Im trying to find an affordable Solid State Amp or possibly a Hybrid Amp that I can gig with and can reliably get over drums. 

Currently, I have a RP1000 unit as well as a Boss 7 Band EQ pedal. (I also have a Boss DS-1 and Boss CS-2 compression pedal) 

So far I have seen a Special Chorus 212 that looks promising but I would like more opinions. : http://www.peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/804/117569/Special%26reg%3B%26nbsp%3BChorus%26nbsp%3B212   

• Members

A trans tube has solid state front end and power tubes for the output. My buddy has one and I was not impressed with the tone. Iyt may be he wasnt a very good player and dint have the best tone dialed up but my little Marshall Valvestate pissed all over it.

Classic 30's are decent amps, very simular to a fender for tone. You can use different mideling devices before it and get some good tones. Good tubes can make a difference too.

If you're wanting to go solid state, then making sure the power section uses Mosfets will give a you a more tubelike tone vs standard Power Transistors which can sound harsh.

If you want onboard effects and modeling, Line 6 isnt bad for the price, My buddy uses oone in a metal band he can get some good tones happening. You want to be sure your get the pedal board with it because all those effects are useless to you playing live and dialing them in from the knobs. The drawback to the amps is a lack of line outs and externel effects loops for adding additional effects or recording direct.

I do like my Marshall Valvestate when it comes to that. Its got a loop with a selectable series parallel switch. Its also got an Speaker Emulated line out for plugging into a PA or for recording which sounds as good as a miced cab does.

I have another buddy who owns a Big Vox Beatle amp thats stereo and has all the modeling effects. He's another guy where the amps too much for him to handle and he doesnt know how to set up patches for songs. I thought it was underpowered running mono when he brought it by running on a single 4X12 cab. He says it does great with the matcching stereo cab, but I never heard it with that cab.

Personally I'd stick with the Peavey 30 and get new tubes or speakers iof it needs it. Its the right volume for small to mid sized clubs and you can always mic it. Then maybe try a decent modeling pedal before it that has the effects you need. One of those Boss units can make a normal amp sound pretty good if you learn to use them right.

• Members

first question first:

why do you want to replace the peavey classic 30?

what so you not like and what do you want to be different, beside solid state instead of tube?

this would be much help in which direction our suggestion should go :)

• Members

Affordable? Do you mean cheap or do you mean well worth the money spent?

I own a Quliter Aviator head that is giving me wonderful tone, loud or quiet. My Aviator head cost $549 + shipping and I also purchased an optional 2 button footswitch for channel switching and on/off for the reverb. Pat Quilter is the brains behind QSC Professional Audio Products (Quilter Sound Co.). Their products have legendary reliability.

A close friend of mine purchased the Quilter Micro Pro 200 head before I ordered my Aviator, so I had the ability to listen to a Quilter Amp before I ordered one. Quilter has a satisfaction guarantee where they will buy back the amp and even pay for return shipment costs if the amp does not meet your needs.

I am in no way associated with Quilter amps. I am just a very happy customer and wanted to make a suggestion.

Archived