First 5150 II

Bradman006

• Members

I picked up a bit of a bargain yesterday, used Peavey 5150 II $700 AUD.

I know they are regularly around this price in the US but it's pretty good price for one down here in Australia. My other amp is an ENGL Savage 120 which is great but I've always kind of wanted a 5150, and recently starting up a new metal band, I couldn't resist. I gave it a quick test run and it sounded great despite having 7 year old tubes, then dropped it off for a service/re-tube.

Looking forward to giving it a crank when it's all freshly serviced, I'll definitely be scanning the forums for suggested settings etc.

Cheers.

Brad.

• Members

Having owned a Savage in the past, and currently owning a 6505+, I prefer the Peavey for straight up metal tones. I also prefer the feel of that amp over the ENGL.

Saying that, the Savage is my second favorite of the amps I've owned.

My suggestion to you would be to put everything at 6 and tweak from there. My current settings aren't much different than that now and I've owned mine for over a year. Also, the Presence knob doesn't really do much until you get it up past 7.

What cab are you running it with??

• Members

In Australia my friend thats a damn good deal, not a steal granted but a really good dam deal non the less, I would expect that to fetch atleast 1000 or 1200 out there used.

Nice.

And happy NAD!

5150's are definately the go to metal amp, and even tough Im not a metal player I really appreciate this beast of an amp.

Really nice heavy low end, no {censored}ing around, its very focused and puchy bass, and the top end can be tame or get very hairy depending on your liking with the twist of the resonance and presence for both channels, the thing I like is that its a straight forward amp, bare bones, that holds no compromises in its simplicity and delivers on its reputation.

It can deliver a wide range of mild distortion before it gets into a millions miles per hour of distorted saturation , so I really feel its really over looked as a cliche metal amp when its more than that.

Some of the warm break ups and nicest glassy woody tones Ive played on a 5150!

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Hey, just an update...

It ended costing me close to $900AUD to have it fully restored and re-tubed. The amp had had a drink spilled in it which luckily had done no damage but had made quite a sticky mess inside. I ended up biting the bullet and let the amp tech have his way with it. He cleaned the circuit board in acid, re soldered everything, upgraded components, re tubed and brought it back to life.

It was expensive but what I have now is of very high quality and it sounds and "feels" amazing. I'm thinking of selling the engl.

My band is about to record a 3 track demo. I'll use this amp for it and post some clips when it's done. Pics soon too...

Cheers, brad.

Archived