Marshall JVM???

RyanC

• Members

I have been a devoted Fryette fanboy for several years now but my inner amp whore has me looking at other amps out there on the market.

Tell me about the JVM's.  They look interesting.

I really like the flexibility on the fly with my Sig X, and the JVM looks like it has alot of flexibility as well.  I have been playing more lower to mid gain dirty, bluesy type rock lately and love a tone with that warm, aggressive, raw, in your face mid range growl, so started looking at Marshalls and EL34 based amps.  Want something that sounds as good as possible at less than ear-bleed volumes, so open to heads or lower wattage combos.  We still do some modern hard rock, high gain style music as well.

Experiences or opinions????

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I have a JVM 210h I use for Nu-Metal and it's great for high end stuff, the only reason I'd part with it is to get a ENGL powerball. The cleans are amazingly warm but they don't have alot of headroom and break up easily which I presonally don't mind I hate brittle crystal clear cleans. 

Honestly I wouldn't say it's as verstile as people say, I can't really see anyone being able to play blues or any low gain stuff through it, although that maybe because I'm running Active high output pick ups through it.

Amazing for metal thats about it.

• Members

I assure you the JVM can do low gain. Unlike many amps, especially ones capable of higher gain, the low-mid gains stay sweet, rich and very satisfying. I would feel very comforablt doing something like Govt Mule or Bonamassa. You can get sweet feedback without a ton of gain and volume. The cleans are typical Marshall clean, and the high gain is Malmsteen and beyond.

I have heard that the tubes may be a little hot, so maybe the one I played has had a tube change?

The JVM is one of the most truly versatile amps I've ever played. Not just versatile in that you can use your guitar volume control, or versatile that it just does a lot of things. It does them very well. The only bad thing I could say is that the controls do "feel" a little bit chinzty. I would take care there.

If you like Marshall-type tones and you need the flexibilty of switching channels...worth it to give it a test drive.

• Members

I also had mine re-tubed but I did specify I played metal and the tech guy used tubes that leant towards that style also I am using high out put pick ups. So maybe my set up personally I wouldn't say I could get anything else out of it apart from metal.

Archived