1484 silvertone amp

2008tele

• Members

I am attempting to put a 1484 back together, but the wires to the pair of 6l6gc octal bases were cut off. I would sincerely appreciate either a close up picture of the arrangement or the pin numbers with the wire colors attached  to them. I haven't attempted this before.Thanks. 

• Members

2008tele wrote:

I am attempting to put a 1484 back together,
but the wires to the pair of 6l6gc octal bases were cut off.
I would sincerely appreciate either a close up picture of the arrangement or the pin numbers with the wire colors attached  to them. I haven't attempted this before.Thanks. 

That is highly unusual, I wonder about the reason someone did this and I wouldn't dare presume the rest of the amp was unmolested. Plus there may be jumpers and resistors that were attached directly to the sockets you don't have.

You need to blueprint the entire amp against its schematic, repalce any old electrolytic caps, convert for three-prong cord, remove the death cap (byapss the polarity switch), plus check for dirfted/leaky components before you ever want to fire up the amp.

If you can't read the schematic below, then either take the amp to a tech or at least find someone who can sit down with you and go through the amp the the schematic part by part.

Silvertone 1484 Schematic

• Members

Thanks, Wyatt. I have a copy of the schematic which denotes connections to a few of the terminals but I know that there other wires connected to terminals not called out. A picture or diagram of the octal base with wiring colors would be the hot setup.Thanks. 

• Members

Those amps sold for $149 back in the 60's when I was a kid and were considerd to be cheap budget stuff by pro musicians back then. Not all towns had a music store and there was no such thing as the super stores like Guitar Center that had big selections. My loack store which was about 60 miles from NY city had maybe 4 or 5 electric guitars and some tint practice amps of less that 5 watts. You wanted the big stuff or wanted to find a good selection of electric's you'd have to drive up to the city and visit mannys or go down to the village and shop the smaller guitar shops.

If you lived in the country, you bought things mail order. It was the precursor of the internet and its how families shopped for gifts you couldnt buy locally. $149 was by no means cheap back then. That was more like $1490 by todays standards when you consider what people earned then which may have been $125 a week or less for a typical middle class family.

Today those amps sell for about a grand if they have the matching cab and are in good condition. This means the amps sell for what that did new back in their day. The amps actually did sound good though when cranked through a pair of Jensen 12's and can get a good Rolling Stone tone from the amp. Sears sold allot of those Danelectro built amps back then and you can still find many in mint condition. I could have bought one back then for $50 but I bought a 1966 Blackface Bassman instead which was a big set up in comparison. I still own the head and have half of the cab cut down for 2X12's. 

http://www.silvertoneworld.net/amplifiers/1484/1484.html

http://uniqueguitar.blogspot.com/2010/01/1483-was-fine-straightforward-bass.html

Archived