Blackstar ID:60 Not "cutting through" at rehearsal

theseamoose

• Members

My new cover band has just had the first rehearsal, and I am somewhat perplexed about the performance of my new Blackstar ID:60 amp. The sound is great and it is definitely loud enough, especially as I was putting it through a Marshall 4x12 cab as well. The problem is, when we are all playing together I simply cannot hear what I am playing. The other guitarist is using a Fender valve 2x12 combo, but I turned my amp up considerably louder but it still didn't cut through.

Has anyone got any ideas? I'm using a BC Rich ASM Pro by the way, with EMG 81 and 85 pickups.

• Members

So...you can't hear yourself huh?

I will cut right to the chase and then piddle around. But the fact is you need to hear yourself louder than everyone else which will make you too loud. If everyone heard themselves louder than everyone else, you'd have chaos and nuclear holocaust. Even a raucous badass punk band at some point stops worrying about hearing themselves and flails around epileptically. You have to practice not having yourself at the forefront of the mix.

Now....one way to combat that is to have a localized rig. A 4x12 lazer beams in a direct path. Sometimes you are in that path and sometimes not. If you aren't in the optimal path, you tend to crank it, which makes other people mad. And it also causes one to post on a message board. One way to help with this problem is having a really good PA with separate montior mixes. Rely on the PA more than your cab and control the volume.

Another easier way is to use a 2x12 open back combo like the Fender. This spreads the sound around the stage/room better. It mixes in better with drums, which are projecting all over the place. There are some sonic quality differences, like a bit less low end. But differences are usually technically minimal and a matter of personal preference. You can still have a KICK ASS sound with a 2x12 combo.

I say you guys change rigs for one practice. You may not prefer the tone, but see who can hear what.

Edit: another option is to unhook the 4x12 cab. Take the ID60 combo and put it right beside you propped "up"...use like a monitor. You can point your own self directly at you...blast your head off, with minimal damage to others.

• Members

theseamoose wrote:

My new cover band has just had the first rehearsal, and I am somewhat perplexed about the performance of my new Blackstar ID:60 amp. The sound is great and it is definitely loud enough, especially as I was putting it through a Marshall 4x12 cab as well. The problem is, when we are all playing together I simply cannot hear what I am playing. The other guitarist is using a Fender valve 2x12 combo, but I turned my amp up considerably louder but it still didn't cut through.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Maybe not an equipment problem.  Turn the other guys down.

-D44

Archived