Is the Bugera V5 a bad amp?

Terje Larsson

• Members

I've put this question in different ways now but I think it really boils down to this. The Bugera V5 fits my needs (if that's what we should call them, he, he). A small tube amp (by which I mean an amp that you can carry in one hand easily), with a tone control, reverb and headphones out. All of this together makes it more useful than anything I've come across so far, please feel free to come with other tips if you have any.

So, now the real question, is the Bugera V5 a badly built amp? Will that thing break easily and quickly as my friends say? When it breaks, will it be hard to fix it? What really is the difference in build quality and components between let's say the Bugera V5 and for instance an EC Vibro Champ?

The other options I've looked at so far... a Princeton Reverb is maybe better for me as far as tone goes but it's simply too big and probably too powerful as well. The Fender EC Vibro Champ is great but has no reverb and no headphones out (and no tone control but I found it didn't really need one). I have looked at a Swart Atomic Spacetone Jr. too and it sounds nice in those clips but some people I know have tried it and tell me it distorts a lot at a very early stage. Not my thing. Also it has no headphones out.

Without headphones the amp will basically only be used at gigs and I honestly don't have that many. This is for example where a Princeton starts to feel really stupid. A fairly big, quite expensive amp, too powerful for home use that I'll bring out about 5 times every year...

Most of my gigs are in the streets as a busker. I have battery amps for that. That's a different topic and I know my battery amps by now. What I'm looking for here is the amp for those rare indoors gigs I have with a small trio that plays mostly blues but it's really more like acoustic 5 watts will probably be plenty most of the time.  

• Members

How's the warranty?  I read some reviews, and it seems most people who buy it are happy with the build quality but, like any other amp, some problem units get out of the factory. I've had to have a couple of different amps replaced within a few weeks of bringing them home.

I didn't look very hard, but didn't see any reviews from people who have used the amp for an extended period. Seems like most people review gear before the newness has worn off.

• Members

Since 2009 you say, huh? That sounds pretty solid. Warranty shouldn't be a problem if i buy it from a store. If it's faulty within a year or probably even two years, I'll get it replaced. Getting closer to buying one... not totally made up my mind though, enjoying the search too! Thanks for the info and thoughts.

• Members

I own one, and the matching 2x12 cab. What's not to like ? It has an attenuator to make it less loud, but not sound like poo. It looks OK, sounds OK, hasn't caught on fire (yet). I can't say anything bad about it. Without the external speakers, it sounds OK too, just not as loud (I dig loud). Loud enough for a small venue, without the additional speaker cabinet...maybe, if cranked up.  So ya, there are other, better amps...I like this one...is that wrong ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Still haven't bought it. Not sure how much I'll use it. I want to try it before I buy it too and the thing is that it's so cheap so if i order it from Gremany it'll cost too much to return it, in comparison to the actual price of the amp so I probably won't do that even if i hate it... on the other hand, it's really cheap. If it burns within a week I won't cry.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I know a guy who own one, the 333 model .... it smokes ! Gear snobs hate those amps, because Bugera owners didn't have to pay an arm and a leg for great tones.

Back in the 1980's, owners of Marshal and Mesa-Boogies would turn the nose up at my Carvin X-100 B .... until they heard the sound ! Enjoy your Bugera !!!!!

• Members

I'd also have to go on what I read online, which is basicly just a handful of user reviews, mostly from beginners...

But for the money, it seems like you can't go wrong. It's not the kind of brand that'll win you popularity points at TGP or whatever, but that should obviously be the least of your concern.

Just don't expect any miracles from something that cheap. But based on the specs/reviews, I don't see why the V55 would lack in terms of overal build quality. Factory flaws are what you've got a warranty for. Just make sure you buy new at a good shop though. That'd be the main difference for me, opposed to something like a $3000 mesa boogie combo:)

To answer your question about the quality difference between those fender amps...You'd have to ask a tech to really know, but though I'm sure there's got to be differences, I don't know if they're worth the extra coin. I would suspect the brand name (ie marketing) is the main reason why a princeton reverb costs as much as it does. And fwiw, in my personal experience Fender doesn't exactly offer premium customer service or anything...:s

• Members

I have had two . I bought one a long time ago and sold it . The reverb was great the sound was ok . It liked my Gibson and not my Strats . Sounded nice and smooth and jazzy with a Gibson . I tired of it and sold it . Years later I bought another after selling a lot of my amps I wanted another little practice amp and I remembered that smoothness and nice reverb . The newest one was so bassy it was like something was wrong with it .It had no treble response ! I sent it back .

Archived