Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jca50H / 100h/ 22h mod thread and owners club

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok guys I'm going to upload the corrected schematic and the corrected schematic with the s.l.o mods. I installed a nos 12au7 into my v4 slot, I'm going to try it out as soon as I'm done with uploading the schematics.
    Jca 50h/ 100h/ 22h Mod thread and Owners Club
    Jca20H Mod thread and owners club
    Like me on facebook
    Follow me on twitter

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by 67mike
      View Post

Yes.....throw the chinese crappola in a shoe box!

Actually only replacing 2 or 3 of the preamp tubes is what I would consider "necessary".

I swapped the stock power tubes with both a pair of Sovteks and a pair of JJ's and neither really offered any appreciable difference vs stock.
      Guitars
      Tokai LS150 - Sheptone Bryan Kahaek Signature pickups - Mystic Dream MM JP6 - G&L Comanche

Amps - Cabs
      Splawn "MUFASA" Nitro - Mako MAK4 Preamp - Jet City 100H w/JJ KT66's, 22H & Pico Valve - Whitebox Engineering 2x12, PortCity OS212 - Splawn 4X12

Kemper Profiling Amp - u mad?

Visit my music page

Watch my amp demo videos on Youtube

Member of the Jet Setters

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar
        View Post

Actually only replacing 2 or 3 of the preamp tubes is what I would consider "necessary".

I swapped the stock power tubes with both a pair of Sovteks and a pair of JJ's and neither really offered any appreciable difference vs stock.

What preamp tubes did you like in there?

Also, anybody care to comment on what speakers go well with the Jet City stuff - specifically the 22h? I have realized that the nasty tone I have been hearing is mostly coming from the cab I was using with it. The cab sounded decent on it's own, but when both amps were running at once (through separate cabs, not a stereo cab) it was a nasty buzzy tone, which was still present when I switched the amps and tried again.

Anyways - I found a Marshall 1961b (giant 2x12) local that I may pic up since the JCA seems to do okay with the t75s in my other cab. Any thoughts or suggestions about (cheap) cabs to go well with it?
        Originally Posted by DunwichAmps

meh. more fuzz and dist

Comment

really any speakers will work IMO. I've used anything from my splawn 4x12 and whitebox 2x12 to my little avatar 1x12 with a clestion H30 and they all sound great.

For tubes, I've got a NOS RFT 12ax7 I got off a guy on ebay in preamp sockets 1 and 2 and a ruby HG in V5.
          Guitars
          Tokai LS150 - Sheptone Bryan Kahaek Signature pickups - Mystic Dream MM JP6 - G&L Comanche

Amps - Cabs
          Splawn "MUFASA" Nitro - Mako MAK4 Preamp - Jet City 100H w/JJ KT66's, 22H & Pico Valve - Whitebox Engineering 2x12, PortCity OS212 - Splawn 4X12

Kemper Profiling Amp - u mad?

Visit my music page

Watch my amp demo videos on Youtube

Member of the Jet Setters

Comment

Both my 20 and 22h sound amazing with veteran 30s and green backs mixed.
            Like me on facebook
            Follow me on twitter

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar
              View Post

Actually the stock chinese EL84's are pretty hardy....I swapped mine out simply for reliability. I ended up putting one of the chinese EL84's into my bugera V5 combo which is a really hard amp to control tube rattle......the chinese EL84 combined with a JJ ECC81 FIXED that tube rattling little monster!!!! Now, how long it lasts is altogether another story.

I FRICKEN LOVE the JCA 22 head with the tubes I've got into it...JJ EL84's, Sovteck 12ax7wa in V1, V2, V4. NOS USA made 5751 in V3, and Sovteck 12ax7wB in V5......KILLER!!!!!!!!!!!!
              Originally Posted by chainsaw fats
              Can I drink your piss?

Great people: d_dave_c, wbcsound.

Comment

I'm hopefully picking up an old 5150 cab for a nice price to run with my 22h on Friday. They are supposed to sound pretty good with JCA/Soldano type stuff, and the speakers are the Sheffield 1200s which are supposed to be really similar to Greenbacks. Should be a good compliment to the Blackstar/Celestion 75 combo. Can't wait.

I will hopefully be ordering some preamp tubes this week as well to help tame some of the fizzys

meh. more fuzz and dist

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by t-rey
                  View Post

I'm hopefully picking up an old 5150 cab for a nice price to run with my 22h on Friday. They are supposed to sound pretty good with JCA/Soldano type stuff, and the speakers are the Sheffield 1200s which are supposed to be really similar to Greenbacks. Should be a good compliment to the Blackstar/Celestion 75 combo. Can't wait.

I will hopefully be ordering some preamp tubes this week as well to help tame some of the fizzys

Guy local to me has a 5150 cab for asking price of $200............If I didn't have a taylor guitar for my daughter on the way, and a new laptop just bought.....I might be able to afford it......

Am I crazy for not hittin it????
                  Can I drink your piss?

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by 67mike
                    View Post

Guy local to me has a 5150 cab for asking price of $200............If I didn't have a taylor guitar for my daughter on the way, and a new laptop just bought.....I might be able to afford it......

Am I crazy for not hitting it????

I'm not a big fan of the Sheffield I find them a bit muddy. in my 6506 combo I replaced one of the Sheffield with a k-100.
                    Like me on facebook
                    Follow me on twitter

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Edge11
                      View Post

I'm not a big fan of the Sheffield I find them a bit muddy. in my 6506 combo I replaced one of the Sheffield with a k-100.

Thanks.

Good thing too.....wife has had enough of my purchases....time to slooooooow down a bit.
                      Can I drink your piss?

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Edge11
                        View Post

Lame. Hopefully they sound alright with the 22. Anything is better than the cab I am currently using though.

meh. more fuzz and dist

Comment

View Post

Lame. Hopefully they sound alright with the 22. Anything is better than the cab I am currently using though.

What is the cab your using?

Btw theres a new jca head comming up after namm.
                          Like me on facebook
                          Follow me on twitter

Comment

Hey guys looky what I found. The new jca head

Like me on facebook
                            Follow me on twitter

Comment

Alright I'm going to go to the gym and when I get back I'm going to show two versions (three actually) of the clean crunch switch, one is easy for beginners and the other one is the ay it's done in the slo. I wonder why on the s.l.o mike wired that switch in series instead of parallel (popping perhaps?). I also want to debunk some of the myth surrounding the scoop mod and srv mods.

From what i can gather the scoop mod is a simple t filter (some say there is also a fender style/value bypass capacitor added in one of the cathodes as well.) while the srv mod is the t-filter+ the bypass capacitor+ a change in the tone stack. I'll have to do some poking around to see.
                              Like me on facebook
                              Follow me on twitter

Comment

View Post

What preamp tubes did you like in there?

Also, anybody care to comment on what speakers go well with the Jet City stuff - specifically the 22h? I have realized that the nasty tone I have been hearing is mostly coming from the cab I was using with it. The cab sounded decent on it's own, but when both amps were running at once (through separate cabs, not a stereo cab) it was a nasty buzzy tone, which was still present when I switched the amps and tried again.

Anyways - I found a Marshall 1961b (giant 2x12) local that I may pic up since the JCA seems to do okay with the t75s in my other cab. Any thoughts or suggestions about (cheap) cabs to go well with it?

I used a Jet City 2x12 cab with straight up V30s, very impressive sound. I also recommend a Greenback/H30 mix. I tried T75s and ended up not liking them in my 2x12 cab. YMMV. Next up is a V30/ET-65 combo...
                                Jet City EarhartJet City JCA100H -> Avatar 2x12 -> Celestion LynchbacksPRS SE 245Sterling AX40FOR SALEBuy/sell/trade referencesMy primary band page (Seventh Day)My secondary band page (Adam Evolving)Proud member of the Jet Setters (Jet City Lounge)

Comment

Working...
                                X