Jca50H / 100h/ 22h mod thread and owners club

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote Originally Posted by tech21man
    View Post

So can the loop become just a resistor and insert another serial loop later on the circuit or what?

Give it a try. I'm not exactly sure what you are even asking.

Quote Originally Posted by De La Crusher
    View Post

Hello all! First Id Like to thank Edge for sorting me out on the depth mod for my 50... I love it! Have a new question. Are ther any mods that can clean up the normal channel besides putting a 12at7 or the sort in V1? The 50 squeels like a pig with on of those in. I just need more headroom before break up in the clean tone. Im otherwise super please with both my 50s! thanks for any and all of your input on this!

Decadence mod. You could also stick a 12dw7 in v1.
    Jca 50h/ 100h/ 22h Mod thread and Owners Club
    Jca20H Mod thread and owners club
    Like me on facebook
    Follow me on twitter

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Edge11
      View Post

Give it a try. I'm not exactly sure what you are even asking.

Just read an article that if you don't have the loop in the signal at all (like the soldano avenger) and as a result no need to keep the level steady, you could change the infamous 19K resistor to a different value and achieve and even better/different sound. So I thought why not place the loop after the tonestack...

But just read another point of view that soldano doesn't want anything to mess with the PI not being insanely overdriven as he "designed" the amp to work in the first place. That he had a certain goal with the preamp drive in lower volumes and the power amp chiming in in higher volumes.

I never understood why he placed the loop before the tonestack, I never did. It is the one most ilogical place to place it there. Almost like design disaster.
      "is this tone obtainable using the HD500 or Axe Fx? Overall, for convenience and volume control, should I buy the Axe Fx over actual tube amps? I don't plan on playing loud; just playing at home and recording on my Mac. Thanks man, you are awesome!

short answer: no...

long answer: no way..."

Comment

• So I changed the pots, plugged the amp into the cabinet, let it warm up, hit the standby switch...

pop.

The amp no longer turns on. I throw in the towel, at least now I know the amp can't handle heavy gigging.
        http://www.facebook.com/lanoproductions

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by tech21man
          View Post

Just read an article that if you don't have the loop in the signal at all (like the soldano avenger) and as a result no need to keep the level steady, you could change the infamous 19K resistor to a different value and achieve and even better/different sound. So I thought why not place the loop after the tonestack...

But just read another point of view that soldano doesn't want anything to mess with the PI not being insanely overdriven as he "designed" the amp to work in the first place. That he had a certain goal with the preamp drive in lower volumes and the power amp chiming in in higher volumes.

I never understood why he placed the loop before the tonestack, I never did. It is the one most ilogical place to place it there. Almost like design disaster.

The loop is part of the sound of S.L.O

The reason the Loop is there is that it was designed for rack gear, He probably thought that it would be cool if the reverb/delay/whatever ambient effect the amp has had some sort of eq.

Quote Originally Posted by llanafreak44
          View Post

So I changed the pots, plugged the amp into the cabinet, let it warm up, hit the standby switch...

pop.

The amp no longer turns on. I throw in the towel, at least now I know the amp can't handle heavy gigging.

Are you sure you soldered it in well?
          Like me on facebook
          Follow me on twitter

Comment

• jetcity 100H, can someone confirm how the 100h is switching channels?

from looking at the 50H schematic, it shows relays on the diagram, but noticed the 100h uses vactrols. I take it, its using them to switch channels?

if so can someone show a dragram of how the vactrols are switching out the channels rather than relays on the schematic. I just want to see the pin out and config to see how the channels and EQ are switched.

Hope that makes sense.

cheers

Comment

• I just got a 22h last week. Pretty cool amp but I'm thinking some of these mods will get me closer to what I want (SLO, clean/crunch, etc.). Is there a 22h schematic floating around anywhere to compare to the 50h version on the first page?

Comment

View Post

Yeah that is what I am saying. I would ideally want its effect on the sound of the lead channel but not to place my effects there. Stupid move. Then I'd like another loop where every amp manufacturer on the damn planet positions it. What I am saying is have an amp like the avenger but with an added serial loop in a position it can be usefull.
                "is this tone obtainable using the HD500 or Axe Fx? Overall, for convenience and volume control, should I buy the Axe Fx over actual tube amps? I don't plan on playing loud; just playing at home and recording on my Mac. Thanks man, you are awesome!

short answer: no...

long answer: no way..."

Comment

• Soulcrusher_X
                  Soulcrusher_X commented
                  Editing a comment

tech21man wrote:

QuoteOriginally Posted by Edge11 View Post
                  Yeah that is what I am saying. I would ideally want its effect on the sound of the lead channel but not to place my effects there. Stupid move. Then I'd like another loop where every amp manufacturer on the damn planet positions it. What I am saying is have an amp like the avenger but with an added serial loop in a position it can be usefull.

I built an SLO clone kinda like this. I cut the traces on the board, used some wire to "move" the FX loop to after the tone stack, and redesigned it for better sensitivity and to be "cleaner". Then, while I was at it, I rearranged the rest of the preamp to be more like the Bogner Ecstasy, then added a post-loop MV.

If you are worried about driving the PI, which in these amps and most others with a pre-PI MV is unlikely, you can reduce the values of the anode resistors on the PI tube for more headroom. A lot of Bogner amps use values of 51k/56k on the PI, probably to stay as clean as possible.

I need to get my hands on a 20H. I have the feeling that some "B0gner-esque" mods would fit well in that one too.

• Yep. I'll check in the future for someday for some short circuiting, but even then I'm pretty sure the amp would have turned back on.
                http://www.facebook.com/lanoproductions

Comment

• Hi Everybody , i have bought an used JCA100HDM with only 10 hours of playing for only 500 euros in MINT conditions !! i have tried it with two speakers of 100W in series at 16 ohm and i think that this amp is a MONSTER ! i love it !

but , i would apply the decadence mod on it , and in future , i will change the power tubes with KT66 ... you think that the circuit is the same of the 50h100h ? i have read that in the HDM mod there are only estetic mods , the depth mod and tighter output transformers ... what you think about it ??

Greetings from Italy !

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by kh602
                    View Post

jetcity 100H, can someone confirm how the 100h is switching channels?

from looking at the 50H schematic, it shows relays on the diagram, but noticed the 100h uses vactrols. I take it, its using them to switch channels?

if so can someone show a dragram of how the vactrols are switching out the channels rather than relays on the schematic. I just want to see the pin out and config to see how the channels and EQ are switched.

Hope that makes sense.

cheers

Not sure, don't have a 100.

Quote Originally Posted by kokohi5
                    View Post

I just got a 22h last week. Pretty cool amp but I'm thinking some of these mods will get me closer to what I want (SLO, clean/crunch, etc.). Is there a 22h schematic floating around anywhere to compare to the 50h version on the first page?

Not that I know of, but you should email doug and try to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by tech21man
                    View Post

Yeah that is what I am saying. I would ideally want its effect on the sound of the lead channel but not to place my effects there. Stupid move. Then I'd like another loop where every amp manufacturer on the damn planet positions it. What I am saying is have an amp like the avenger but with an added serial loop in a position it can be useful.

Add another loop where you think it belongs then, simple solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny89
                    View Post

Hi Everybody , i have bought an used JCA100HDM with only 10 hours of playing for only 500 euros in MINT conditions !! i have tried it with two speakers of 100W in series at 16 ohm and i think that this amp is a MONSTER ! i love it !

but , i would apply the decadence mod on it , and in future , i will change the power tubes with KT66 ... you think that the circuit is the same of the 50h100h ? i have read that in the HDM mod there are only estetic mods , the depth mod and tighter output transformers ... what you think about it ??

Greetings from Italy !

I don't own a 100hd so i couldn't tell you what changed there are aside from the depth, if you are good with a multimeter you can figure out how to properly place the mod.
                    Like me on facebook
                    Follow me on twitter

Comment

• Hi!

First, as I'm a newcomer, I'd like to thank Edge11 for starting this incredible thread.

Then I'd like to ask what tonal differences did you notice with the choke upgrade.

Can anyone post some video with before/after choke instalation.

Cheers

Nuno

Comment

View Post

Not that I know of, but you should email doug and try to get one.

Do you happen to know his email addy?

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by kokohi5
                          View Post

Do you happen to know his email addy?

Should be the contact info on the jca website.
                          Like me on facebook
                          Follow me on twitter

Comment

• Anyone know how to mod a JCA100H to reverse the switching of the overdrive and normal channel? As in, when no footswitch is plugged in, it by default the amp goes to the normal channel. If not that, the addition a of channel switch on the chassis would be a cool mod to know.

Anyone know how to perform these mods?
                            Jet Setter

CURRENT RIG:
                            2004 Fender American Standard Stratocaster (SD PGb bridge, DMZ VVB neck)
                            2011 Fender Blacktop Telecaster (SD PG set)
                            Jet City JCA100H
                            Mojo 4x12 loaded with Greenbacks
                            lots 'o pedals

CURRENT BAND:
                            The Medicine Years
                            https://soundcloud.com/themedicineyears

Comment

• I have the JCA50H and am interested in the SLO mod. Does it help clean up the midrange congestion (such as what appears at Bias settings higher than 34 mA)? What does it do to the frequency response? How would you describe the effect(s) of the SLO Mod? In other words, beyond saying that it "sounds like a SLO" or that it "makes it more aggressive", what exactly can I expect from doing this mod?

Fwiw, I'm currently running the following tube setup at 32 mA bias:

V1: Mullard RI 12AX7

V2: Ruby AC7 HG 12AX7

V3: Tung Sol RI 12AX7

V4: Penta 12AX7

V5: Ruby AC7 HG 12AX7 (Balanced)

PT: Balanced Svetlana 6L6GC. Btw, I swapped the Svets in place of EHX 6l6GC and the overdrive smoothed out very nicely.

JCA 2x12 cab with Eminence Governor and Swamp Thang.

JCA50H
                              JCA24S 2x12, w/ Eminence Governor and Swamp Thang
                              VOX VT30

Washburn 1995 Limited Edition acoustic

Comment

Working...
                              X