Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jca50H / 100h/ 22h mod thread and owners club

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question. Is it possible to go the avenger's route? I mean no loop, replace the cc follower stage with a resistor of different value, throw the loop before the tonestack overall and actually place a serial loop like the ss metro loop after the tonestack? Doing the conversion to the avengers circuit shouldn't be a problem but would a serial loop before say the master volume affect the PI staying clean most of the time? I remember reading that this is what soldano was after more or less: Relatively good preamp gain with sustain on lower levels with a contributing power amp distorting and balancing on higher levels and the PI staying clean.
    "is this tone obtainable using the HD500 or Axe Fx? Overall, for convenience and volume control, should I buy the Axe Fx over actual tube amps? I don't plan on playing loud; just playing at home and recording on my Mac. Thanks man, you are awesome!

short answer: no...

long answer: no way..."

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Giobo91
      View Post

yes,i changed all tubes with jj 12ax7 ad TAD 6l6

Thats odd, you could clip the bright caps on the lead and rhythm, but it would also reduce your gain a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Rocker
      View Post

The design of the pre-amp is geared towards HM. There
      Jca 50h/ 100h/ 22h Mod thread and Owners Club
      Jca20H Mod thread and owners club
      Like me on facebook
      Follow me on twitter

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Edge11
        View Post

This is erroneous, you would skip everything except the return stage and the cathode follower if you just plug into the return. plugging just to the return doesn't sound very good.

He asked for less gain and a less toppy sound. This does both things. You have one gain stage followed by the cathode follower driving the tone stack, the master would become the volume, simple it works, try it. A lot of players use their amps just like that. Use a pedal for the gain, very bluesy sound. Everything works, channel switching tone stack etc. The gain controls become redundant but he wanted less gain, didn

Comment

• Hi everybody ! i want to buy the 100w version of this amp and i have a doubt : the value posted in the first page by Edge11 are for the 50 w version ... so , can i follow these values ? or i have to modify some ?

Thank's !

Comment

• Guys I dropped my amp the other day flat on it's face, the cab wheel fell off and down it went. The amp is making strange noises, and it doesn't even make a noise when I plug an instrument cable in. I haven't tried different tubes, the power tubes are now blue. Even then though, wouldn't there be a noise when I plug in the cable even when the tubes are dead? I did notice the transformer is now a little lob sided, I hope it's not broken...
            http://www.facebook.com/lanoproductions

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Jonny89
              View Post

Hi everybody ! i want to buy the 100w version of this amp and i have a doubt : the value posted in the first page by Edge11 are for the 50 w version ... so , can i follow these values ? or i have to modify some ?

Thank's !

Already answered, via a reply o the pm you sent, giovanni.

Quote Originally Posted by llanafreak44
              View Post

Guys I dropped my amp the other day flat on it's face, the cab wheel fell off and down it went. The amp is making strange noises, and it doesn't even make a noise when I plug an instrument cable in. I haven't tried different tubes, the power tubes are now blue. Even then though, wouldn't there be a noise when I plug in the cable even when the tubes are dead? I did notice the transformer is now a little lob sided, I hope it's not broken...

Sure that the pots aren't busted? PICS?
              Like me on facebook
              Follow me on twitter

Comment

• I don't think so. I need to open up the amp tomorrow for sure. Or maybe tonight if I'm feeling brave enough to put my screwdriver to the caps.

Comment

• Nothing seems disconnected. What can I touch the screwdriver to in order to discharge? My hands are too shaky and I'm too scared to completely get the PCB off before discharging. I have worked on a Windsor before safely, but I was able to discharge before removing the PCB, i'm super careful/paranoid like that.

Comment

• Well after receiving a lemon from Jet City, I am proud to say I love my JCA22H!

The old 22H had issues. First one preamp tube failed, and then a power tube failed. I bitched and complanied, but I kept the amp. Then the input jack failed, so I returned the amp. I should of known something was going to happen to the amp due to the box.

So I got a new one last week and so far no problems at all. It sounds really good! I think I am going to end up changing the tubes though, because I do hear a weird high pitch noise coming from the amp, its very slight. It sounds like that high pitch noise that a tv has when it turns on. It's not bad, but I'm going to change the tubes out soon just to be safe.
                    RIP HCAFIt was fun while it lasted

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by llanafreak44
                      View Post

Nothing seems disconnected. What can I touch the screwdriver to in order to discharge? My hands are too shaky and I'm too scared to completely get the PCB off before discharging. I have worked on a Windsor before safely, but I was able to discharge before removing the PCB, i'm super careful/paranoid like that.

Can't tell from the pictures, but the first thing I would do is make sure it's not tubes.
                      Like me on facebook
                      Follow me on twitter

Comment

• Any updates?
                        Like me on facebook
                        Follow me on twitter

Comment

• I'm tinkering with the amp right now. The "Normal" overdrive pot is super loose, I think it's been broken off from the PCB. I'd go in further, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to take the whole damn board out.

EDIT: Nevermind, I missed a few screws. VR4 is definitely broken! I'm going to search around the board a bit more and make sure there aren't any other broken components or missing traces. I'm excited! This is really mentally stimulating.

EDIT: Double edit, as I was removing VR4, VR5 also popped off... Time to hit up Radio Shack!

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by llanafreak44
                            View Post

I'm tinkering with the amp right now. The "Normal" overdrive pot is super loose, I think it's been broken off from the PCB. I'd go in further, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to take the whole damn board out.

EDIT: Nevermind, I missed a few screws. VR4 is definitely broken! I'm going to search around the board a bit more and make sure there aren't any other broken components or missing traces. I'm excited! This is really mentally stimulating.

EDIT: Double edit, as I was removing VR4, VR5 also popped off... Time to hit up Radio Shack!

Thats how you get hooked.
                            Like me on facebook
                            Follow me on twitter

Comment

• So can the loop become just a resistor and insert another serial loop later on the circuit or what?
                              "is this tone obtainable using the HD500 or Axe Fx? Overall, for convenience and volume control, should I buy the Axe Fx over actual tube amps? I don't plan on playing loud; just playing at home and recording on my Mac. Thanks man, you are awesome!

short answer: no...

long answer: no way..."

Comment

• Hello all! First Id Like to thank Edge for sorting me out on the depth mod for my 50... I love it! Have a new question. Are ther any mods that can clean up the normal channel besides putting a 12at7 or the sort in V1? The 50 squeels like a pig with on of those in. I just need more headroom before break up in the clean tone. Im otherwise super please with both my 50s! thanks for any and all of your input on this!

Comment

Working...
                                X