Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jca50H / 100h/ 22h mod thread and owners club

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi guys, I have a JCA22H and doing the depth mod will be a must, but one thing I cant find any info on is the voltage rating of the caps you are using. I would have assumed that they would be a low voltage cap (100v?) and the pot a .5w?, after all the NF circuit is connected to output jacks which can be touched so surely there wouldn't be any potential requiring 600v caps for example?

This is an amp that was brought out of America for me and as of yet isn't sold here in Australia so not much of a knowledge base here yet

Another +1 for these amps being awesome

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Taggsy
      View Post

Hi guys, I have a JCA22H and doing the depth mod will be a must, but one thing I cant find any info on is the voltage rating of the caps you are using. I would have assumed that they would be a low voltage cap (100v?) and the pot a .5w?, after all the NF circuit is connected to output jacks which can be touched so surely there wouldn't be any potential requiring 600v caps for example?

This is an amp that was brought out of America for me and as of yet isn't sold here in Australia so not much of a knowledge base here yet

Another +1 for these amps being awesome

.0047uf 400v Orange Drop, as suggested by Edge in post #67 of this thread. I couldn't get my hands on one locally, so substituted in a Mylar/Film cap - it seems to be working well. I used a standard pot - not sure about the wattage, but no smoke yet .
      Come join us at the NEW Jet City Lounge on guitarampboard.com: http://www.guitarampboard.com/forum/...php?f=5&t=1615

Comment

• iirc dues mentioned that it should be at least 100v. I used an 400V orange drop for mine.

For the pot I used a normal Alpha with 0.125W
        Proud Member of the Jet Setters (Jet City Lounge)

* ENGL Powerball * Jet City JCA100H w/simple clean mod, depth mod * Line6 Spider Valve HD100 Mk1 *
        * Marshall 1960AV loaded with V30s * ISP G Major *

Comment

• Availability. It's easier to find that cap in that value in those voltages over herein the states. So the Earheart got canceled so I'm thinking of making a "transatlantic" mod, any one interested?
          Jca 50h/ 100h/ 22h Mod thread and Owners Club
          Jca20H Mod thread and owners club
          Like me on facebook
          Follow me on twitter

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Edge11
            View Post

Availability. It's easier to find that cap in that value in those voltages over herein the states. So the Earheart got canceled so I'm thinking of making a "transatlantic" mod, any one interested?

Absolutely interested - what's the particulars? Brit tubes?
            Come join us at the NEW Jet City Lounge on guitarampboard.com: http://www.guitarampboard.com/forum/...php?f=5&t=1615

Comment

• Just for some feedback to anyone considering doing some of the mods that have been posted - I've been playing around with the clean switch quite a bit lately, and have really been liking it. It's not a 'warm' tone, like the old Fender Pro Reverb I have, but it's got a great tone of it's own. Does Hetfield's earlier cleans (Sanitarium, etc.) really well.

Comment

• You can make it much cleaner (you can even make the clean crunch switch even cleaner) but it won't be too fenderish without the scoop mod.
                Like me on facebook
                Follow me on twitter

Comment

• So how many of you are interested in getting a cleaner sound with your amp?

Should I put out the decadence mod out there for you guys to enjoy?

Here's what it does, it gives you a much cleaner tone.

For best results combine with the scoop mod.

who wants it?
                  Like me on facebook
                  Follow me on twitter

Comment

• Definitely interested - lets check it out. Does it affect both channels or just Crunch? Switchable?

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by GRIMESPACE
                      View Post

Definitely interested - lets check it out. Does it affect both channels or just Crunch? Switchable?

It's up, only affects the clean/crunch channel
                      Like me on facebook
                      Follow me on twitter

Comment

• Completed the depth mod, very happy with effect at lower volumes. Looking to tighten up the od channel and get usable gain above 6. Thinking slo spec mod can you give me some insight into what to expect from changes?
                        Jet Setters (Jet City Lounge)

Comment

• it sounds like a slo.

If you don't replace the gain pots it will sound a bit darker.
                          Like me on facebook
                          Follow me on twitter

Comment

• After reading this thread I kinda want to buy another 22H so I can mod the hell out of it
                            Proud Member of the Jet Setters (Jet City Lounge)

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Bumhucker
                              View Post

After reading this thread I kinda want to buy another 22H so I can mod the hell out of it

Do it
                              Like me on facebook
                              Follow me on twitter

Comment

• Hey guys, I'm curious about preamp tube replacements for my JCA50H. Currently running a set of JJs in there which sound great, but I don't have much of a clean channel at stage volume. I was wondering if anyone had experimented with lower gain tubes. I know that lower gain isn't the point of the JCAs, but I'm currently running the drive channel with the Gain at 4, and am boosting it with a Swollen Pickle/Custom Comp if I need more. Would having less-gainy preamp tubes increase headroom in the normal channel while allowing me to keep the same amount of gain in the drive channel (with the gain control set higher, obviously...)?

Thoughts? Suggestions?
                                Rig:
                                A variety of guitars with ebony fretboards
                                JCA 50H into a Whitebox Modern 2x12, loaded with Celestion Lynchbacks
                                An ever-changing ****************storm of pedals.

Member of the Jet Setters at the Jet City Lounge.

ALWAYS on the lookout for 90's-era ESPs, but especially the Horizon and Hybrid II.

Comment

Working...
                                X