Help dating Utah speaker

Mr.scary96

• Members

Well the 328 is the MFG code that tells you the speaker was manufactured by Utah. The other three digits should be the Year and month of the year. Its likely the 25th week of 51, 61, 71 etc. I think Utah went out of business late 70's so its likely 71, 61 ir 51. I'd have to see a picture of it to be more accurate. Most speakers prior to the 50's had electromagnet coils instead of perminant magnets. If its got a ceramic magnet its most likely 61 or 71. If its alnico its more likely to be 51 or 61. and if its a guitar speaker, I'd mosly likely say its 61 or 71 because all the guitar amp manufacturers like Fender were using them.

Since Fender started going with Branded fender logos on their speakers made by Jensen mostly in the 70's, I'd guess the speaker could be 1961. The paper should be pretty dull in color is it wasnt well taken care of.

• Members

I got a 10" Utah in my old silver faces Ampeg 10w amp from back in the 70's. The speakers are very Jenson like sounding and have a pretty good SPL level. However they are many speakers out there today that didnt exhist in the past. Back when you're amp came out you could count the speaker makers on one hand. Today you have a huge variety of speakers at very reasonable prices.

You may want to try a different brand for awhile and see what you get. Just save the Utah in case you want to sell the amp.  

Archived