Remember Mr. Knobs?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember Mr. Knobs?

I wonder whatever happened to him?

Other guys too like Danocoustic, Teh Evil Dr. X, Professor Zorpk, Dr. Phil and others ??

Knobs drops in on occasion, but he was turned off by the admins and the Gibson takeover. Dano? Banninated...Evil Dr. X? Professor Zorpk? You tell me...
    "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'
    "The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

Right - I forgot about the Gibson thing. That explains all the Gibson adds on this site! I'm looking at 3 Gibson banner ads, 4 Gibson ads in the right hand vertical column (Gibson acoustic new model year year is repeated twice), and in News we see Epiphone Presents New...bla bla bla. Oh well.....
      Last edited by Smilin' Bob; 10-08-2017, 02:27 PM.
      NOTE: The absence of smilies in this post should not be taken to mean that I think your post is stupid, nor that I loath, despise, or hate you; nor that I disrespect you and all your works; nor that I see you as victim or lawful prey; nor think you have the intellect of half a loaf of bread; nor that I find you disgusting or unworthy or otherwise hate your behavior, opinions, politics, gender, sexual orientation, culture, ethnic background or language.

F*** 'em if they can't take a joke!

Comment

Originally posted by Smilin' Bob View Post
        Right - I forgot about the Gibson thing. That explains all the Gibson adds on this site! I'm looking at 3 Gibson banner ads, 4 Gibson ads in the right hand vertical column (Gibson acoustic new model year year is repeated twice), and in News we see Epiphone Presents New...bla bla bla. Oh well.....

Yeah, Gibson own this site and they also own a Gibson forum.

Anyone can advertise on HC. I don't think HC is a big money maker for Gibson, but it's a way to bring new product awareness to the masses.

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

Doesn't bother me that Gibson owns the site - you're right, there are other ads on here. And I have and like Gibsons, so why did people get their panties in a twist when Gibson bought HC?
          NOTE: The absence of smilies in this post should not be taken to mean that I think your post is stupid, nor that I loath, despise, or hate you; nor that I disrespect you and all your works; nor that I see you as victim or lawful prey; nor think you have the intellect of half a loaf of bread; nor that I find you disgusting or unworthy or otherwise hate your behavior, opinions, politics, gender, sexual orientation, culture, ethnic background or language.

F*** 'em if they can't take a joke!

Comment

So Mr. KNoBz doesn't like Gipson huh? Well, that's a minor thing. There are a lot of others who have come and gone. I was plowing through some old threads and wow, where has all the time gone?

Comment

It's better than when Guitar Center owned the site.
              Originally posted by MrKnobs
              God, that's beautiful man! And they say romance is dead!

Comment

Originally posted by Smilin' Bob View Post
                Let's see - currently in the ads and banners on this page I see user reviews on two Guilds and a Larrivee, an Expert Review on a Cort by Chris Loeffler, A KRK headphone ad, a Gibson Acoustic ad, and a couple of Gibson Custom ads. There's also a link to an article on Gypsy Jazz, and the current News slot has info on the new Tech 21 Fly Rig Acoustic, which we hope to have a review of for you soon... so while it's true that Gibson does own the site and does run ads on it, we remain editorially neutral, and we run news, reviews and articles on anything that we think will be of interest to musicians.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

Let's see - currently in the ads and banners on this page I see user reviews on two Guilds and a Larrivee, an Expert Review on a Cort by Chris Loeffler, A KRK headphone ad, a Gibson Acoustic ad, and a couple of Gibson Custom ads. There's also a link to an article on Gypsy Jazz, and the current News slot has info on the new Tech 21 Fly Rig Acoustic, which we hope to have a review of for you soon... so while it's true that Gibson does own the site and does run ads on it, we remain editorially neutral, and we run news, reviews and articles on anything that we think will be of interest to musicians.
                  Phil, IMO you guys do a great job here with the articles and the reviews. Every piece of equipment you folks review is not for me, but they are informative.

I used to get all the guitar magazines, back in the day, but this is the new world and this is much handier. There's a ton of new stuff that comes out all the time, you guys review gear that is in the price rage for the beginner to the season profession.

Don't want to blow smoke here, but keep up the good work.

All the big manufactures have a forum or a board, either official or unofficial, and folks can get help there too. Some are sponsored buy retailers, others accept donates to keep them running.

At the end of the day you still need to turn on the lights.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Thanks Mikeo - we appreciate that more than you know.

But what really makes HC work is the readers and members who participate on the forums - so thanks to all of YOU for making HC such a great place!

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

BTW, a quick question - you said the stuff we review tends to be "not for you" - what sorts of things would you like to see us cover in reviews?

- George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
                        BTW, a quick question - you said the stuff we review tends to be "not for you" - what sorts of things would you like to see us cover in reviews?

Phil, If you me, it is very difficult to tell.

I have been playing for over 40 years, so gear like guitars and amps is tough. I probably have 40 or so instruments at my house, and a dozen amps left. I'm being a bit selective about what I might want in the instrument area, but I was last year looking at another jazzbox and your review of the Gibson ES 275 caught my fancy. I did order one and it's really a killer guitar that I enjoy a lot. The neck feels slim like a Les Paul. As far as recording gear, I have quite a bit too, however I have been very busy and not have had time to record in a while.

I was thinking about a good old EV RE20, just because it's a classic and I don't have one. The new Royer's really caught me eye too, however I have 3 Beyer ribbon mics the M160's are very nice doing what they do, I have the double sided M160, but I forgot what the actual model is, and a couple of other ribbon Beyer's.

You keep doing what your doing, and I'll keep reading, cause ya never know.

I'm not sure if others do this, but I budget about 100 bucks a week towards music gear and accessories.

To tell you the truth, I might buy a banjo. Probably one of the middle of the line Deerings.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeo View Post
                          I was thinking about a good old EV RE20, just because it's a classic and I don't have one.

GREAT mic. Also check out the newer RE320, which is also very nice.

The new Royer's really caught me eye too, however I have 3 Beyer ribbon mics the M160's are very nice doing what they do, I have the double sided M160, but I forgot what the actual model is, and a couple of other ribbon Beyer's.
                          You're probably thinking about the M130, which is the bi-directional version of the hypercardioid M160. I absolutely LOVE the M160 - I use mine a lot on things like sax / reeds, guitar amps, banjo, fiddle, drum overheads - it's definitely in the same general league as the Royers IMHO.

You keep doing what your doing, and I'll keep reading, cause ya never know.
                          You've got it!

Glad to hear the ES-275 review was helpful for you and that you like the guitar.

I'm not sure if others do this, but I budget about 100 bucks a week towards music gear and accessories.

To tell you the truth, I might buy a banjo. Probably one of the middle of the line Deerings.
                          I've done a couple of Deering banjo reviews, and purchased the Good Time 5 string that I reviewed - they make excellent banjos!

- George Carlin

Comment

That's it the Beyer M130

Comment

With the Beyer M130 and a M160, you can set them up together for mid-side stereo... Clonk on the link for an article with some info and setup tips on that very useful stereo mic technique.

- George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                              X