No announcement yet.

The Greatest Fender of Them All?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Greatest Fender of Them All?

saw this article on Reverb...I remember seeing literature on this around 1969/1970, but never saw the amp...
    https://reverb.com/news/the-most-pow...source=FBshare
    Last edited by daddymack; 05-03-2017, 04:52 PM.
    "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'
    "The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Yikes!
    NOTE: The absence of smilies in this post should not be taken to mean that I think your post is stupid, nor that I loath, despise, or hate you; nor that I disrespect you and all your works; nor that I see you as victim or lawful prey; nor think you have the intellect of half a loaf of bread; nor that I find you disgusting or unworthy or otherwise hate your behavior, opinions, politics, gender, sexual orientation, culture, ethnic background or language.

F*** 'em if they can't take a joke!

Comment

Imagine if you didn't have a roadie and you wanted the full 400+watts...3 massive cabs
      I played with a number of bassists who used SVTs over the years...you feel them before you hear them
      "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'
      "The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

WOW That is cool

G.B.#275

OK We'll close down the business,have the manager shot,and give you back all your money.will that make you happy?

The Hot Rod Owner's Club

Comment

Would you buy one?

Comment

I wonder how many were made.
            Originally posted by MrKnobs
            God, that's beautiful man! And they say romance is dead!

Comment

>148 db of peak SPL? Somehow, I have the feeling there wasn't a lot griping about the guitar player in those outfits.

Comment

wha?

Comment

I member seeing that in an early '70s Fender catalogue.

At the time I was more interested in the Stratocaster - the only options were color and the choice of maple or rosewood fingerboards. Now Fender offers a Stratocaster at every conceivable price point.
                  As a human being, you come with the whole range of inner possibilities
                  from the deepest hell to the highest states.

It is up to you which one you choose to explore

Comment

I took a look at the schematic for that amplifier and it certainly gives credit to the title of this thread.

http://timeelect.com/400PSschematic.gif

It's like a regular two channel Fender amp - Reverb and 'Vibrato' on one channel and the second channel voiced for bass - with a single ended cathode biased 6L6 driving an output (driver) transformer. Then it gets weird...

The driver transformer is the phase inverter and, with a centre tapped secondary, drives six 010309 output tubes configured in push pull parallel. The plate voltage on the 010309 tubes is 700 volts. The output transformer had three taps off the secondary and, with an elaborate switching system using the speaker output jacks, the amp would effectively shut off a pair of output tubes if there was nothing plugged into the jack thereby limiting the output of each jack to 145 watts (if the loads were all the proper impedance).

It's quite a feat of engineering but you could probably buy a Blues Junior for what it would cost to re-tube the beast.
                    As a human being, you come with the whole range of inner possibilities
                    from the deepest hell to the highest states.

It is up to you which one you choose to explore

Comment

Back in the late 1970's a band mates Dad played local and had this set up of a 400 PS Head with the chrome roller stand and four cabinets. He let me plug in my cheap Memphis Strat copy with a Univibe, EHX Electric Mistress Flanger Deluxe and my EHX Big Muff .... The amp made me feel like Hendrix at Woodstock ....wow !!!!
                      The 400 PS, would be great with my present rack gear, no more lugging around my two ton power amps ..... I hope Fender does a reissue of this amp !!!!
                      Last edited by AJ6stringsting; 07-03-2017, 06:51 PM.

Comment

I saw this at a vintage guitar show recently.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fender Super Sixty Reverb 1.gif
Views:	2
Size:	286.7 KB
ID:	32017841
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Fender Super Sixty Reverb 2.gif
Views:	2
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	32017842

Comment

I had the matching extension cab for that back in the 80s! 6x10

Comment

Current greatest Fenders ever are the high Powrered, Tweed Twin ( which recently has begun edging out the Low Powered Twin), and the '57 Maple neck Strat.

Comment

What about the Super Twin? That had enough tubes in it to heat an entire house. That was another amp that you bought a package of chiropractor appointments at the same time you bought the amp.

Comment

Working...
                              X