Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could travel to the future, how far do you think would be safe?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you could travel to the future, how far do you think would be safe?

I mean, what if you fell out of the sky in some country where the only people free were kings and royalty and everyone else was thrown in prison or something and used as slaves?

Or what if you fell into the middle of a war just before they decided to nuke the whole mess?

Or what if you fell right on the middle of a crumpled up freeway and got run over by a bunch of horses and wagons (they finally ran out of oil)

Or what if you landed in the middle of a fairly normal looking place, I mean everyone else was naked too, but they all had some chip implanted in their eyeball and a scanner read the code and let them into shops and restarants, but when you tried to get in all these alarms went off and a net fell over you and then 4 guys in white suits ran over there and hauled you away to some kind of prison thing where it was wet and dark and there were these bugs there trying to eat your toes while you waited for a court date or phone call or something.

Well?

whoa...going forward is only half teh issue...can I get back here before they lock me up as a witch? I just want some race track outcomes, some super bowl scores, world series, boxing...y'know, where I could make enough money where I could afford to not be affected by the coming robot holocaust...y'know?
    And then there is the whole social responsibility thing...if you see everyone being wiped out by some kind of new drug/disease/dance craze...do you come back and warn against it, or do you have to let it happen? I'd be conflicted.
    "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'
    "The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

Interesting that both of you assume the future will be bad. Slavery, nuclear war, crumpled freeways, guys in white suits locking up people who don't have implanted chips, robot holocaust, being locked up for being different, new drugs and diseases? What about cures for diseases, people living on Mars, an end to discrimination, wage equality, you know...good stuff? There's a series of ads from AT&T with the tag line "Where will you be?" One is about the first person to walk on Mars. Another is about the first woman pitching in the Major Leagues. Personally, I'd like to go far enough to see how our daughter turns out. She's almost 23 now so say maybe 8 years forward to 2023 so I can see her at 30 or 18 years when she'd be 40, probably with a family. My dreams are small.
      Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
      Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
      Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
      Member of the Schecter Society
      Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

I don't know how far would be safe. Would you just shoot for after the apocalyptic event where we finally manage to kill ourselves off? Or do you have faith that racial maturity finally sets in and we start to realize our potential?

Personally, I think I'd probably just go about 25 years. I'd get digital copies of the last 25 years of the WSJ, come back and quietly become the luckiest day trader alive.

Comment

there is no profit in business as usual...I would like to believe that we will become an enlightened society, free of greed and avarice, unified as one planetary people...the whole Star Trek gestalt...but if history has taught me anything, it is that the world has and will be in turmoil, because human nature grinds off that sheen of hope over time, and reveals our baser instinctual levels. I'd like to see my grand kids grow up in a better world than I did, free of poverty, war, pestilence, hunger, ignorance, racism, Tea Party Republicans....but of course, the robot holocaust will eventually destroy us all...
          "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'
          "The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

I constantly travel to the future, nanosecond by nanosecond. I've gone a whole day ahead since yesterday.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist)
            Bob "Notes" Norton
            Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com
            Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box
            The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

Comment

yes, but you can't go back to yesterday, can you?

Comment

I'm 62 so I'm not sure about wanting to move forward any faster than I already am. I wanna slow all this stuff down frankly.
                http://thebasement.createaforum.com/

Comment

Originally posted by daddymack View Post
                  yes, but you can't go back to yesterday, can you?
                  Sometimes I wish I could. Especially when a yesterday was a great day.

I'm afraid my time machine is one way >>------>
                  Bob "Notes" Norton

Comment

Sadly, my friend, I'm afraid everybody's is...except Mr. Peabody...but his only goes backwards...

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Tweedbucket View Post
                      I mean, what if you fell out of the sky in some country where the only people free were kings and royalty and everyone else was thrown in prison or something and used as slaves? :cr

I would know, that George W. Bush's mission was finally accomplished.

Or what if you fell into the middle of a war just before they decided to nuke the whole mess?

What could anybody do ?

Or what if you fell right on the middle of a crumpled up freeway and got run over by a bunch of horses and wagons (they finally ran out of oil)

Bleed to death .....

Or what if you landed in the middle of a fairly normal looking place, I mean everyone else was naked too, but they all had some chip implanted in their eyeball and a scanner read the code and let them into shops and restarants, but when you tried to get in all these alarms went off and a net fell over you and then 4 guys in white suits ran over there and hauled you away to some kind of prison thing where it was wet and dark and there were these bugs there trying to eat your toes while you waited for a court date or phone call or something.

Sounds like Central California ..... spread and became the norm.

Well?
                      How many guitarists does it take to screw in a lightbulb ? Five , one to screw it in , hit the switch and four to sit around bragging how much better they could have done it !!!! 😱👹😲

Comment

Time is a strange phenomenon .... it's all we have.
                        All we have is the here and now .....and what is ahead of us.
                        How many guitarists does it take to screw in a lightbulb ? Five , one to screw it in , hit the switch and four to sit around bragging how much better they could have done it !!!! 😱👹😲

Comment

Originally posted by daddymack View Post
                          Sadly, my friend, I'm afraid everybody's is...except Mr. Peabody...but his only goes backwards...
                          And of course, Sherman.

Me? I'd like to go back to 18 and do it all again - including the mistake It's been fun so far, and I'm not done having fun yet, but I wouldn't mind revisiting some of the past good times.
                          Bob "Notes" Norton

Comment

Originally posted by Notes_Norton View Post
                            . . . Me? I'd like to go back to 18 and do it all again - including the mistake . . .
                            If I could go back, knowing what I know now, I'd do things very differently. My whole life would probably be changed. I'd do better in school. I had a girlfriend I kept doing the break up/make up/break up/make up/break up thing with and I wouldn't do that again. I'd go to a different college. I doubt I'd be living in St. Louis. I'd probably never meet my wife from this timeline.
                            Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
                            Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
                            Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
                            Member of the Schecter Society
                            Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

That opens a whole different line of thought...looking for that defining moment in your life that sent you forward on the path you are on now.
                              Or, if you could go back and tell yourself what not to do, do you think your younger self would listen?

Comment

Working...
                              X