X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here and Now

Yeah it's dead because fewer people post about playing. Maybe it's because fewer of us are playing these days? I hope it's not because we're too jaded to enjoy playing, writing, performing and cool new gear. Have we said all that can be said? I doubt it.

Me, I'm in The High Street band that plays once or twice on weekend afternoons for fun in our local what's it shop. Most of us live in town. Will and Sheree, the couple that own the shop are the core of the band. She sings, he plays very nice quitar, sings and writes songs. We have a nearly 15 year old local kid who plays excellent lead and gets better by the week.I play mostly rhythm guitar, sing and write songs. Our drummer lives in Reno, Our bass player lived in town, but recently decided to leave this mortal plain, so there are a couple of Renoite basses who sit in.

Will and Sheree frequently do paying gigs as a duo, and the band is playing a big BD party at the Community Center next week end.

Then I am also in Hammerstone, a band of grizzled old Great Basin desert rats and archaeologists who play the Ancient Tones of a timeless, primordial, loud, electric music every two years for the Great Basin Anthropological Association (next gig in Boise in October!). We also played the Silver City Fireman's Ball last summer. Will and Sheree are also in Hammerstone.

I like to learn new stuff. I get better at playing and singing. It makes my Wa serene.

What are you doing? What do you love? As Bo Diddly asks, "Who do you love?"
    Last edited by Smilin' Bob; 06-05-2014, 08:50 PM.
    NOTE: The absence of smilies in this post should not be taken to mean that I think your post is stupid, nor that I loath, despise, or hate you; nor that I disrespect you and all your works; nor that I see you as victim or lawful prey; nor think you have the intellect of half a loaf of bread; nor that I find you disgusting or unworthy or otherwise hate your behavior, opinions, politics, gender, sexual orientation, culture, ethnic background or language.

F*** 'em if they can't take a joke!

I'm not playing much since Tex passed. I am playing more Acoustic and singing thru the Marshall AS50R , the 2 channels work good for such a small amp

G.B.#275

OK We'll close down the business,have the manager shot,and give you back all your money.will that make you happy?

The Hot Rod Owner's Club

Comment

I have a Carvin AD1000D acoustic amp w/ 3 channels. Will and Sheree borrow it for their duo gigs and it works perfectly - loud enough for outdoors if there is a small audience.
      NOTE: The absence of smilies in this post should not be taken to mean that I think your post is stupid, nor that I loath, despise, or hate you; nor that I disrespect you and all your works; nor that I see you as victim or lawful prey; nor think you have the intellect of half a loaf of bread; nor that I find you disgusting or unworthy or otherwise hate your behavior, opinions, politics, gender, sexual orientation, culture, ethnic background or language.

Comment

I play by myself...Have for several years inspurts..Deeming it more important to focus on raising my Great Nephew for the last 19 years. Was in a band preceding him coming into my life..We played out a few times, nothing but originals...Lots of fun making music with those guys even though most of the matieral weird and goofy. Most of my onw stuff...well all of my stuff is weird and goofy. Sold off most of my gear through the years to make ends meet. Don't regret it, kept this fine young man in groceries and hard at his cello all through junior and high school. He's in college now, doin' great, working part time, and my wife has decided to become a full time drunk, so I actually have some time to play now, though my arsenal of gear is old and out of date.
        But I'm actually working on my first new song in more than a decade....And hearing the folks on here talking about their careers and work, and lives...Well...It keeps my hopes up....And my Old Strat and really old Super Reverb still work and sound pretty good.
        www.soundcloud.com/alamojoe

Comment

Not a whole lot goin' on here. Jammin' with Shorty in the basement on weekends and such, teaching my next door neighbor some guitar stuff. Shorty's buddy Rachel moved in this past week and wants to start learning bass, so that might liven things up a tad. Other than that, same ol same ol.
          SG Army - Major Private

My Gear!1!!!11!1!

Piece of wood with wires on it
          Box with a speaker and some glowy thingies

Comment

corporate took over and as usual, cbs Fender, too many chiefs and not enough indians!

Comment

My dreams are aii dead and buried

Sometimes I wish the sun would just explode

When the Lord comes to call me to His kingdom

I'll take all you sons-a-bitches, when I go
              http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...1330893693.png

Comment

Originally posted by Smilin' Bob View Post
                Our bass player lived in town, but recently decided to leave this mortal plain,
                Our bassist of 11 years passed on yesterday. He is deeply missed already. I'm still gigging with the band when the $ is there, which ain't often enough; and I go out to local jams when I have the inclination, at least weekly.
                My solo act isn't taking off as I'd hoped...too many lunkheads out here willing to play for tips, and too many venue managers who don't care about musicians making a living. Not to mention the competition. LA is just chock full of great players, and getting established is difficult.

Here is a classic curve ball for me: we just were booked for a big stage gig in August. Harp player is already leaving town, drummer is leaving town, no permanent bassist. Hiring in bass, drums, saxophone and maybe harmonica...Keyboard player and I will cover all the vocal leads, so I have to generate new set lists. If I'm lucky we will get 2 rehearsals with the rhythm section...none with the harmonica player...the sax player is a regular side guy for us.
                "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminent period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

Comment

I just returned to composition after a long layoff. Mostly to preserve my own sanity and keep the brain working. I've got many years of guitar under my belt and I make it a point to play every day. I have health issues and music is a great healer.

Comment

Jeeze, DM, sorry to hear about your bass player - tough to loose a friend and fellow band member.

I wish you luck filling out the band for the big gig. It's sounds a lot like starting over - which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Comment

Thanks Bob....
                      You were in the Berzerkely zone in the 60s, you and Dan may have crossed paths back then. He was arrested in the UC Berkeley Free Speech protest in October 1964...
                      Before hooking up with us, he had worked with some of the Bay areas 'legends', Norman Greenbaum, Will Scarlett, Country Joe...
                      I had to press him to even talk about this stuff, he was that laid back. Most musicians will readily give you a list, but not Dan...we were blessed to have had him with us at our peak and beyond.

I thrive on challenges. The bassist we hired filled in our last big stage gig in May [when we found out how sick Dan really was], so she is a known quantity. The drummer works with her regularly, so I am hoping that it will all gel. This week I am working out the song list...and thinking I could drop in some new material...
                      "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminent period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

Comment

Yeah, I was around then, but on the other side of the Bay at SF State with our own political turmoil. We did cross over however!

As you know, we recently lost our bass player too and are looking for another. We have a couple of prospects, but no one who lives here in town, which is where our former player lived. But sounds like your scene will work out - you have so musicians to choose from down there!

Comment

Yeah, there are a lot of players here in LA, but...the ratio of prima donnas to flakes to hacks to competent bassists is absolutely frightening

Comment

Think small! We're playing a BD party tomorrow afternoon, and at an anti pit mining event on the 28th I'll be doing a short set of protest songs I wrote .

Comment

Musically I'm still working towards a single act, hitting open mics, and with our line of work, I do a few fund raisers for animal rescue operations based locally... May be picking up work with drumming for a Celtic rock band based out of Tallahassee, I've done some studio work for them that they seem quite pleased with...I'm setting up a small home studio, teaching my 12 year old to play guitar, he's been working every day for the past year with an acoustic so for his bday we picked up a monoprice rt66... What a surprisingly sweet guitar! In the meantime, I'm keeping the farm and animal sanctuary running as smoothly as possible while we ready a building for our new office... The mobile business has far outgrown our ability to keep up so brick and mortar, here we come... And just for an added measure of interest in our sedate lives, we adopted our two and a half year old grandson... Fortunately he is a highly imaginative, musically inclined soul that goes to sleep and wakes up singing or laughing... We needed him as much as he needed us... Otherwise, life is pretty much the same as usual here...
                              poast something...

Comment

Working...
                              X