No announcement yet.

Plain third string?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plain third string?

Guys for Led Zep licks etc should I use a plain third?

I've never liked plain thirds..........but will go there if I need to.........

You could really weird and use a B banjo string. Dunno if that'll get you to Pagey but it's a fun thing.
    www.soundcloud.com/alamojoe

www.soundcloud.com/vomiteers

Comment

I put the plain third on ther and I like it! I remember not liking it on acoustic stuff........ but it's nice for rock........

Comment

Wound thirds are great for some things (like deeper tone), but if you plan on bending it a lot, go plain...
        "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminent period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

Comment

Where do you get wound-third string sets ....Jazz Strings R Us ???
          It's not about money or popularity , although some money would be nice.

Comment

Most acoustic sets have wound thirds. I like plain thirds on my acoustics because I bend them ... a lot. But then I play acoustic guitars that acoustic guitar purists hate.
            SG Army - Major Private

My Gear!1!!!11!1!

Piece of wood with wires on it
            Box with a speaker and some glowy thingies

Comment

Originally posted by seahorse View Post
              Where do you get wound-third string sets ....Jazz Strings R Us ???
              Go up to .011 electric sets...you'll get a wound third...but yeah, this is a lot heavier than most rock players will go. I've used them for years on my semi hollow bodies because of the tone.
              "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminent period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

Comment

I think George Harrison used a wound third on all of the early Beatles stuff, because I read in Clapton's book that he showed George his light gauge strings in the mid 60's for the first time. I've actually tried the Ernie Ball acoustic -plain-third sets . They were ok but I finally settled on the Daddario 10-47 extra lights.
                It's not about money or popularity , although some money would be nice.

Comment

yeah, I used to buy Black Diamond Banjo Strings for my Teisco and my Kent...

Comment

D'Addario makes a set of 10-46 with a wound G. They are the EXL110W.
                    Death leaves a heartache no one can heal
                    Love leaves a memory no one can steal

Comment

Originally posted by Axee-o-matic View Post
                      Most acoustic sets have wound thirds. I like plain thirds on my acoustics because I bend them ... a lot. But then I play acoustic guitars that acoustic guitar purists hate.
                      I'm curious what type acoustics you play?

Comment

Couple of old Fender broomsticks. A '64 King and a 70-ish Palomino.
                        SG Army - Major Private

My Gear!1!!!11!1!

Piece of wood with wires on it
                        Box with a speaker and some glowy thingies

Comment

Acoustic guitar, jazz, or strictly rhythm, wound is great. Everything else, plain 3rd all the way.

Comment

I put a set of Dean Markley light gauge electric guitar strings on my acoustic guitar because the wound third plus the big heavy bass strings were killing my fingers. Now my acoustic is as easy to play as my electric. Read a bunch of stuff online telling me the sound would be terrible, but sounds OK to me. Did lose a little bass response, but being able to bend notes more than makes up for it.
                            Michael D. www.mdlmusic.webs.com "I'm tired of rock-and-rolling Let's get married, Honey, let's go bowling" --Martin Mull

Comment

I use wound 3rd on acoustics and plain for electric.

Comment

Working...
                              X