Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Nigerian Net Scam, Version 3.0

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nigerian Net Scam, Version 3.0

All those beleaguered widows, complaining chief's sons and yowling high-ranking government officials don't want your assistance in getting a large sum of money out of Nigeria anymore.

Now they want to buy your stuff.

Yes, there's a new twist in Nigeria's thriving Internet-based scam operations. This time, the scammers pose as potential buyers for big-ticket items, like cars, listed for sale online.

The buyer explains that a business associate in the United States will mail the seller a cashier's check for the amount of the item plus the cost to transport it overseas. The seller is asked to wire the transportation fees to the buyer once the check has cleared so the buyer can arrange for shipment.

But a week or so after the check clears and the money has been wired, victims are notified by their banks that the check was counterfeited.

The scam has become so widespread that victims formed their own online support group last month. The group now has close to a hundred members.

Scam victims admit they initially were skeptical when the deal was brokered, but after receiving and depositing a cashier's check that cleared, they assumed all was well.

The scam takes advantage of a little-known loophole in the U.S. banking system. Many people don't realize that when a bank says funds have cleared, it doesn't mean the check is good, according to Carol McKay, director of communications for the National Consumers League.

"Under federal law, depending on the type of checks deposited, banks must give consumers access to the money within one to five days. Longer holds can be placed on deposits over $5,000, but banks are reluctant to inconvenience their customers," McKay explained.

"Unfortunately, it can take weeks for fake checks to be detected in the banking system. And consumers are then left holding the bag for the money they've withdrawn. That's because it's the depositor, not the bank, who is responsible if a check turns out to be bad."

Jeff and Shawn Mosch were victims of the scam, and they figure their bank is just as much at fault as the con artist who ripped them off for $7,200.

Shawn Mosch said she went to the bank with the cashier's check and told the teller, "I need to know when this is going to be a good, clear check -- when this is going to be actual money I can spend and it's never going to come back and bite me in the butt."

She was told her butt would be out of harm's way in 24 hours.

Mosch said she waited an extra day just to make sure, and then wired the money to the buyer. Five days later, the bank informed Mosch the check was counterfeit and her checking account was now $5,000 overdrawn.

McKay said the scam isn't limited to Internet sellers. The Consumers League is starting to hear from people who have also received counterfeit checks in connection with work-at-home offers.

"Banks would serve their customers better by explaining that they can't immediately tell if the checks are good and that the depositors will be stuck if they're not," McKay said. "In general, it's probably a good idea to wait several weeks before drawing on checks from unfamiliar sources.

"But the bottom line is this: No legitimate company will offer to pay you by arranging to send you a check and asking you to wire some of the money back. If that's the pitch, it's a scam."

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,56829,00.html
    <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;Say hello to the rug's topography...&quot;</div>

I want everyone to see this...
    <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;Say hello to the rug's topography...&quot;</div>

Comment

The best thing to do about these scams is forward them to the Federal office investigating such fraud. Atty General? I don't know, but here is the adress:

internetfraud@ifccfbi.gov

Then delete the thing and forget about it.

NOTE: The absence of smilies in this post should not be taken to mean that I think your post is stupid, nor that I loath, despise, or hate you; nor that I disrespect you and all your works; nor that I see you as victim or lawful prey; nor think you have the intellect of half a loaf of bread; nor that I find you disgusting or unworthy or otherwise hate your behavior, opinions, politics, gender, sexual orientation, culture, ethnic background or language.

F*** 'em if they can't take a joke!

Comment

Originally posted by booty0bandit
        I want everyone to see this...

That's cool.

We also saw this:
        http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=191146&highlight=scam

and this:
        http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=192027&highlight=scam

<div class="signaturecontainer">[originally posted by ibobunot] ~ If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? <br />
        <br />
        Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?</div>

Comment

A most excellent post.

Comment

Guys watch "Catch me if you can" the new Spielberg movie. Although I do not like Leanordo Di Caprio at all, the movie was great, and about an actual scam with fraud checks. At one point in the movie the clearing mecahnism with checks was briefly explained, and even in US clearing a check may take more than a week after depositing to the bank.

The way it goes is the following. There are some clearing houses (centers) and a check written in Mid-West has to be lceared by a clearing house that does Mid-West's jobs. Thus, If I were to send a counterfit check to somebody in California, then that check has to come back all the way to Mid-West again to get cleared!

Of course it's a serious crime in US, but with Nigeria I do not suppoose there are internationa laws which would make some guy doing that scam in US go to prison in Nigeria. That's what they exploit.

I faced such a scam myself, when I was trying to sell (whic I do still) a pickup set of mine. Some guy from Nigeria emailed me saying that he wants to buy the thing, and will send me a cashier's check, and I should send it with FedEx fast service. After learning the rate for fedex to be like 106 dollars (and the pickups are 75), the guys said it's ok. I said WTF? I was already suspicious, and told him that I do not trust him, and I expect him to send a USPS money order with his so called US contact! And he did not reply!

Comment

My dad is a bank manager with Lloyds TSB and he says that he gets HUNDREDS of these scams a day.

AVOID...AVOID...AVOID!!!
              <div class="signaturecontainer">Check out my music at http://nigeld.freewebspace.com<br />
              <br />
              <font size="1"><b>On Toronto vs. the UK<br />
              <br />
              <i>rosskoss:</i></b> Well there you go then. I can't see how one can choose something else over that? Lotsa music, slutty chicks, nice weather, no SARS...<br />
              <br />
              <b><i>Six String Stuntman Steve:</i></b> No SARS? Hear Hear!!! This might be the better place to go afterall!!</font><br />
              </div>

Comment

My mom's brother(my uncle) is in a bad way becuase of a Nigerian finance scam. He isnt a stupid person, some of the scamsters are pretty slick. Part of the reason the Nigerian government is ineffective in quashing this is becuase the Nigerian government is part of the problem. Aint it great.

Comment

Working...
                X