No announcement yet.

Dumbles?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Eristic

Belovs are known for their distorted lead tones, not for cleans. I don't believe they are really designed for crystal, complex cleans a la Matchless DC-30 or vintagey, warm cleans a la Carr Imperial.

Btw, I went too late today. They were closed. Review tomorrow, if they're open.

hi Eristic,
    just wondering if you got a chance to try the Belov amp out yet.
    which model were you going to try out?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Soloway

I tried the Belov amps at the NAMM show last year. I absolutely hated them. They were incapable of producing a single usable clean tone at a volume level loud enough to be functional.

hi Jim,
      just wondering which model belov you tried at the namm show. i know he originally sets up his amps to be a lead guitar amp with a great distortion. however, he does and can voice them to have as much headroom as you want. i know cuz i have 5 of his amps. and i play with alot of headroom. i like my amps clean and bright. but when i crank em they've got some incredible overdriven tones.
      he can make the amp sound like anything you want or need.

just thought i'd respond.

Comment

Originally posted by blugup

hi Eristic,
        just wondering if you got a chance to try the Belov amp out yet.
        which model were you going to try out?

Nope. The guys at Mojotone said they don't keep any there; they just order them when somebody wants one. I contacted Pyotr and he responded by saying he's been too busy working on back orders to update the website ( the "showroom" section, in this case). I'd love to give all the models a try, but there aren't any around.
        Reality is the original Rorschach.

Comment

Originally posted by The Eristic

Nope. The guys at Mojotone said they don't keep any there; they just order them when somebody wants one. I contacted Pyotr and he responded by saying he's been too busy working on back orders to update the website ( the "showroom" section, in this case). I'd love to give all the models a try, but there aren't any around.

he was prolly talking about the amps he's been building for me.
          i'm guessing you live in the east if you tried seeing the amps at mojotone. i'm in Cali and pyotr is practically my next door neighbor. literally 5 mins from me. if you were close by i'd totally let you come by and play with the amps. i wish more people could really test drive these amps. but he puts so much work into these amps, and is a one man show so it takes awhile to build em.

you can check out my website for a few pictures of the amps:
          www.studio8000.com

peace

Comment

I'm in NC, about ten to fifteen minutes away from Mojotone. That's cool of you to offer. Too bad I'm all the way over here.

Comment

Wow! You have some killer gear at your studio! I spotted some NC-made gear, the Germino, Carr, and Pharaoh stuff.

Comment

yea.. seems like a lot of guys in NC are making some really cool stuff. fat sound guitars is a cool shop. stu is real nice. what kind of rig are you playing with?

Comment

I'm currently running etiher a Godin LG-SP90 or an Ibanez S-2020XAV through a couple custom-built Fuzz Face clones (one silicon, one germanium), a Zoom Ultra Fuzz (for occasional psycho stuff), and a Guyatone VT-X tube tremolo, to a Mesa Maverick 4x10" (the last one built). Picking up more effects every few weeks (mostly weird fuzz). I'm still in the process of building a pro rig (more for recording than gigging, currently). I'm saving for a few a high-end axes (McInturff, Melancon, Bourgeois, Devoe, etc...) and amps (Carr, Budda, Kingsley, Komet, Overbuilt , etc...). I'd like to add Belov to my list, if I can find one to demo. I have a fetish for 4x10" combos. Does Belov offer that configuration?

Comment

I've been using a vintage ES335 with the original PAF''s, and a Yamaha SG3000 with Seth Lovers. The key to getting the RF tones I believe is the pickup, guitar, and the pickup selector. I use the bridge PU with the tone rolled back to 2 or 3 depending on strings, and a Barber Burn Unit into a semi dirty amp. I can get fairly good tones through a Laney VH100R clean channel, but recently I tried my rig through a Groove Tubes Soul-O, and the Barber nailed the Dumble tone using the bridge PU through the GT. Any amp that sounds like the GT can be used in addition to the Burn Unit. Listen to the sample at http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/tom/samples.htm of the Groove Tube's Soul O 45. If your amp will do this sound, get a Barber Burn Unit, and IMO, you have a Dumble sound at very little comparitive cost.

Comment

I saw Sonny Landreth with John Hiatt. He played a blond Dumble. He sounded amazing. But he is Sonny Landreth ya know?

That said I've played a Bruno Undergound 30 and it was the holy grail as far as I could tell. I really doubt that a Dumble could be much better. Any amp for that matter........
                      Check out my music at CDBABY!

Casey Just and the PsykoPhoniks

The Just

My SoundClick Page

"Sounds like music for the gathering information part of a heist by a gang of London sophisticate robbers.

I'd rob London banks to that music." ~ El Cruncho

Comment

Tone: SRV

Comment

Originally posted by L5S
                          Tone: SRV
                          I'm gonna loose my mind!
                          http://biblerants.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Tag101

12Gs?? Try 15-20 for an early 80s one. I offered Gene at Ultra 15gs two years ago for his tan one (He wouldnt even sell that one to Santana), and it has only gone up in value.
                            I am SO glad he declined though, because I then found out about Trock. SAME tone for $3,300.
                            I did some serious amp shopping the tail end of last year and waffled between VHT and Bogner for a long time before discovering Two Rock. I thought the clips on the Two Rock/K&M web site were impressive, and Joe was very helpful and quick to respond to my emails, but the prices were really up there. I also found it a little odd their web site says...

"Carlos Santana has been using K&M amps on tour since the debut of the Grammy winning album Supernatural. The amps have been traveling around the world with the Santana band and continue to rock."

...but there was absolutely no mention of their amps at all in the recent Guitar Player interview where Carlos discusses amplifiers at length and how he's now using a Dumble in conjunction with his Mesa.

Anyway, just as I was ready to lay out the cash for a Two Rock, a forumite mentioned Fuchs amplifiers, so I checked out Andy's web site and found it a lot more informative. The sound clips were even more impressive than the Two Rock clips and the prices a lot easier to swallow. I ended up getting a Fuchs-modified Traynor head for way less than half of what a Two Rock was going to cost me and I've got all the tone I could ever want and then some.

There is no denying Two Rock makes a terrific amplifier, as evidenced by the hot licks and smoking tone on Tag101's clips, but an Emerald Pro head costs a grand more than a Fuchs ODS Combo. Just something to think about for those on their own tone quest...
                            Every time the server crashed over the last ten years, my post count got wiped out...

Comment

too many great players swear by and use Dumbles for them to be a staus play or gimmick.

10-20K for an essential piece of equipment for someone pulling down a three or four hundred K minimum is not that big an expense. plus, they write it off as an expense anyway...

like all products, there are the elites..and then there are the ultra elites..

think of what people pay for collector les paul and such...makes a Dumble relatively cheap I would say..

$100,000+ LP into a 12K amp might sopund good, even with me playing..

okay, not me.

Comment

Cake, I don't think Alexander is gettting 10 large for his amps. They were $5,100 for the 90 day program, and around $3,700 for the six month program. The $10,000 people refer to is the re-sale price for an Overdrive Special. I think the Winterland was a little more though, but had all the bells and whistles. Also, he builds things that are ultra-durable, road worthy to the Nth degree. If the offer were still standing, I'd send him the money to build an amp for me, and not even blink. If he wanted to be a rich man, he'd sell the rights, and likely pocket 30 million, maybe more. Thats not like him. Man he's a player also, people forget that he toured with that Canadian Buffy Sainte-Marie. As far as I'm concerned, he's the man. The original customizer. He belongs with the Leo Fenders, Jim Marshalls, CF Martin's, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X