Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Dumbles?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumbles?

The latest GP mag has Carlos talking about his new Dumble amp. He loves his boogies for his high end notes, and his dumble for his 'belly' notes.

Are these one of the uber-boutique amps? What are they made of? Are they just slightly cheaper than a new maserati?

I think they start at around 10 grand. And at the risk of being pegged a #8, no amp sounds that good to command that sum of money.
    <div class="signaturecontainer">- <b>CAUTION</b>: this product has caused some laboratory rats to rip through their cages, fly across the room and brutally murder hundreds of innocent people. </div>

Comment

Yep...ultra-boutique. I

Comment

Originally posted by babybatter
        The latest GP mag has Carlos talking about his new Dumble amp. He loves his boogies for his high end notes, and his dumble for his 'belly' notes.

Are these one of the uber-boutique amps? What are they made of? Are they just slightly cheaper than a new maserati?

yes,, they CAN sound that good,, and,, yes, you can buy a car for less than what one would cost you....

to the folks who diss them as not being worth what they always seem to cost.........

they hardly ever come up for re-sale.... so what does THAT say?

<div class="signaturecontainer">Columbia SC, USA<br />
        bluesman at large/musician for hire<br />
        current passport-no travel restrictions</div>

Comment

I still think Tony Bruno can make you an identical amp for less than $4000 once he figures out all those component values.

Comment

I was told that after you order and pay for a Dumble, you can inquire as to it's progress exactly once. Twice, and it's NO SOUP FOR YOU!

Karlos
            <div class="signaturecontainer">Trooper #219!<br />
            <br />
            <a href="http://www.thedangerrangers.com" target="_blank">The Danger Rangers</a><br />
            <br />
            DJ's on the radio<br />
            Karaoke in the shower<br />
            ¡Support Live Música! <br />
            <br />
            </div>

Comment

Alexander Dumble has stopped building amps for folks, unless they're famous. He has kept his designs confidential, to the point of putting orange synthetic goo around his "mystery" preamps, etc... His amps are said to make a sloppy player sound terrible; therefore, only very articulate players like his amps. Personally, the recordings I've heard sound good, but not enough to justify the $12k + that the amps now command.

I'm currently excited about Belov and Komet amps. I'm going to demo a Belov today, and the Komet sometime in the near future.

The Komet was designed by Ken Fischer of Trainwreck fame (the only other modern amp in the price range of Dumbles).

Btw, Two Rock makes the closest thing to a Dumble clone. They start at around $3k, for the "affordable" line and go up very quickly.

Links:

www.kometamps.com
              www.belovamps.com
              www.two-rock.com
              Reality is the original Rorschach.

Comment

Originally posted by Ove
                I still think Tony Bruno can make you an identical amp for less than $4000 once he figures out all those component values.

I bet that Fab Amp guy could build you one out of a freeway sign for $150
                <div class="signaturecontainer">Your mind is a terrible place to store important information.<br />
                <br />
                Pix &amp; Music at<br />
                <a href="http://www.riochamastudios.com" target="_blank">http://www.riochamastudios.com</a></div>

Comment

The rarity of the amp adds to it's sale price. In their time they could take a couple of years to build, on order. I have also read what Karlos just posted, that if you inquired about your amp the contract could be automatically made void ... don't know if it's actually true.

I agree that no amp can have a sound that good to cost as much for it's sound alone. Most Dumble clones, as far as I know, cost a few grands but not as much.

Dumble sounds can be found on Robben Ford records, or Larry Carlton for that matter. Eric Johnson used a Dumble for his dirty rythm tones. SRV also used one at some point.

I am currently looking for an OD pedal that can get in the Dumble ballpark (but lacking the complexity, responsiveness, blah, blah, blah) ... maybe the Menatone Howie, Barber Burn Unit or BJF Baby Blue, or I muight just stick to my rather inexpensive Barber Direct Drive.

Comment

I heard some sound clips of a Fuchs that could give the Dumble OD Special a run for it's money. Also sorta pricey, though...

Comment

Aside from all of the questions of price and availability, the best live guitar tone that I've ever heard (and I've heard most of my "heros" live) was a Baker through a Dumble - played by Robben Ford. Can't describe it, just have to hear it.

I'm sure that there are lots of amps that come close and there are bound to be lots that are better, but I haven't heard them yet.

Comment

Those may look good, but when played in public, they have proven to be inferior amplifiers. Companies like Dumble, Alessandro, and Diezel mean well, but they haven't a clue to what it takes to build an amplifier who's inherent design is to rock hard. The Kramer K15R starts at $74.99 (available at www.musicyo.com) and can accomplish things even the most expensive Dumble, Alessandro, and Diezel amps can only dream of. Here is an explanation of the priceless features of the Kramer K15R:

Technical Specifications: Controls: 1/4" Inputs (Hi and Low)
                        Overdrive Channel with Drive and Level Controls
                        Clean Channel with Level Controls
                        Overdrive/Clean Switch
                        3-Band EQ (High, Mid, Low)
                        Reverb Level Control
                        FX Loop Send/Return (TRS cable NOT included)
                        Headphone Output
                        Power Rating: 15 Watts RMS
                        Speaker: 8" Full-Range
                        Cabinet: Closed-Back, Black Vinyl Covered with Durable Plastic Corners
                        Voltage: Works with US 110-120 Volts
                        Plug: US wall plug-end

Those other amps try to do everything, and that's impossible! They try to do both rock AND country! The Kramer K15R does one thing and does it well: ROCKS HARD! Stop using amps that mean well and start using amps that ROCK HARD!!!

<div class="signaturecontainer">Nerve<br />
                        <br />
                        Anyone who is disturbed by the idea of newts in a nightclub is potentially dangerous. - Frank Zappa<br />
                        </div>

Comment

Originally posted by Wayrockin1
                          I heard some sound clips of a Fuchs that could give the Dumble OD Special a run for it's money. Also sorta pricey, though...

Did it FUCH HARD?!
                          <div class="signaturecontainer">Nerve<br />
                          <br />
                          Anyone who is disturbed by the idea of newts in a nightclub is potentially dangerous. - Frank Zappa<br />
                          </div>

Comment

Originally posted by NervePoet
                            Those may look good, but when played in public, they have proven to be inferior amplifiers. Companies like Dumble, Alessandro, and Diezel mean well, but they haven't a clue to what it takes to build an amplifier who's inherent design is to rock hard. The Kramer K15R starts at $74.99 (available at www.musicyo.com) and can accomplish things even the most expensive Dumble, Alessandro, and Diezel amps can only dream of. Here is an explanation of the priceless features of the Kramer K15R:

Technical Specifications: Controls: 1/4" Inputs (Hi and Low)
                            Overdrive Channel with Drive and Level Controls
                            Clean Channel with Level Controls
                            Overdrive/Clean Switch
                            3-Band EQ (High, Mid, Low)
                            Reverb Level Control
                            FX Loop Send/Return (TRS cable NOT included)
                            Headphone Output
                            Power Rating: 15 Watts RMS
                            Speaker: 8" Full-Range
                            Cabinet: Closed-Back, Black Vinyl Covered with Durable Plastic Corners
                            Voltage: Works with US 110-120 Volts
                            Plug: US wall plug-end

Those other amps try to do everything, and that's impossible! They try to do both rock AND country! The Kramer K15R does one thing and does it well: ROCKS HARD! Stop using amps that mean well and start using amps that ROCK HARD!!!

WOW!!!! Where can I get my hands on one of these mean machines?

Comment

Originally posted by NervePoet

Did it FUCH HARD?!

*snicker*

Comment

Working...
                              X