Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strat Tone/Volume Knob Removal

Happy New Year dudes y dudettes.

My buddy Larry is here with the new Fender American Texas Special Fat Strat that some of you helped pick out.

The only Strat I ever tried to pull the knobs off of was a press fit on a MIJ unit, he wants to take the plastic off the pickguard and I've pulled pretty hard and the knobs and they aren't moving. I can't see an allen screw or anything, since it's HIS new unit I don't just want to apply the old dblazer "charm" and jerk the shaft out of the pot.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

Fraid that's the way it is, db. You can try to ease it off with the help of a broad bladed knife or similar. Work around the control in little steps, and eventually it'll work free. Just don't go crazy with it.
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.</div>

Comment

simple tip:

use a spoon!

Gets the job done and it's very easy.

/Johan
      <div class="signaturecontainer">Capt'n Rusty-talk : &quot;Ou est le Jam du Cyber ???&quot;</div>

Comment

Monsieur Blazer; I use two "church keys" on opposing sides of the knob. Use the bottle opener side, "upside down" with the "top" of the bottle opener touching the surface, tilted so that the round metal bottle opener can slide under the knob. Do this with two hands, two openers on opposed sides of the knob. This not only equalizes the upward force, but also places the force towards the underside center, where the shaft is, with the least possibility of mangling the knob. It's kinda the same as using two spoons, except you don't really push upwards on the outer edges of the knob, where it can more easily get scratched up.
        Hey, wish I was there to play with you and Larry on New Years Day!

Comment

Thanks dudes, Happy New Year dg, Sam and Johan.

We'll be doin' it.

Comment

Originally posted by dblazer
            Thanks dudes, Happy New Year dg, Sam and Johan.

We'll be doin' it.

Have fun

and happy new year to you too!

/Johan
            <div class="signaturecontainer">Capt'n Rusty-talk : &quot;Ou est le Jam du Cyber ???&quot;</div>

Comment

American males...

Get something brand new and very cool, and what do we do first? We take it apart, of course

Drives the wife crazy.
              <div class="signaturecontainer">... there's more guitar content and less annonymous cowards grinding their axes ...</div>

Comment

I use one of those propane thingies and just melt the thing off! :idea: Works GREAT ! !11!! :cop:

Comment

dumpster diving will be the next amendment to the TOS...
                  _"We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminant period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Comment

Where am i now?
                    http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...1330893693.png

Comment

HCv1.495
                      _"We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminant period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Comment

Paul Reed Smith told me an easy way was to wrap the edge of an old tee shirt under the knob and pull it off.
                        Good luck!
                        <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;Bend it til it sounds right!&quot;</div>

Comment

Working...
                        X