Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bob-ingram
    started a topic Agile Les Paul DC

Agile Les Paul DC

I took a ride up to Rondo Music today. Our friend Axeslinger is right about the quality of these inexpensive instruments. I played no fewer than 10 of these LP copies, including single cutaway, double cutaway, the LP Jr. type with on PU and the double cutaway, a Black Beauty with Gold hardware. Everyone was perfect in fit and finish and as good a quality fret work as I've seen in any new guitar, up to the new Les Paul's. Everyone of them had a $239.99 price tag.

I settled on the Double Cutaway because I really liked the feel of the double cutaway, and the neck is more stable than an SG. I've had lots of Single cutaway Les Paul's and I've tried the double cutaway Les Paul's. I dislike the 24 fret necks because it changes the charactor of the neck PU, it sounds more like a middle PU to my ears, which I don't like. This is a 22 fret neck and the charactor ois the neck PU is great, warm and mellow.

I played it through a Peavey Classic 50 with 2x12 because I know the sound of the amp well. The Agile sounds very good. PU's are not the best but they're servicable and I won't be changing them. The sustain is excellent, every bit as good as any Lester I've owned. Controls are smooth and respond well, there was little loss of top end when I rolled the volume all the way down.

I dialed in anything from warm jazz to gritty Led Zep type, to singing sweet sustain ala Dickie Betts/Warren Hayes with no trouble. The guitar is balanced from top to bottom, in any sound.

I just got it home and I won't have time to fiddle around with it until later this week, but I'll put a better report and pictures up when I have a better chance to evaluate this guitar.

Here's the catalogue picture, I'll post pictures of mine later.

Bottom line, I wouldn't have spent $1000+ for a guitar, but at $239.99 for any one of the Agile's.........

Oh, and I took my Tenor Sax to them for service. Same guy was servicing Saxes as when I last had work done, in the early 80's, plus the electronics guy was the same one that's been there since 1975 when they opened the service department.

• gt5litre
    replied
    Hello,
    I hope this place is still here by the time my agile gets here. The set up info, hints ,measurements and pics will helpful

Thanks for taking the time to do this!!!

Sincereley,
    gt5litre

Leave a comment:

• evhell
    replied
    I think he was talking about my pictures...

Leave a comment:

• bob-ingram
    replied
    Originally posted by Xprmntl Gtr

Even with those grainy pics I bet that thing looks so sweet in person

Grainy? It must be you're PC. Those picture are 3 Mega pixel and very sharp. I tried to get the best possible quality.

Leave a comment:

• Xprmntl Gtr
    replied
    Originally posted by evhell
    After reading this thread and the reveiws I ordered me a Agile LP 2000 in red flame. It just got here today, and looks great here are some pictures of it .http://mrevil.home.insightbb.com/mrevil.html
    The only thing is that the low E sting is buzzing really bad and the action is already pretty high. I don't have the money to go get it setup, so can any of you help with some links to good pages to learn to setup a guitar. Any help would be great, I have searched online but so many pages say one thing and another tells you its wrong?????????? Sorry the pictures are so bad, but its the best I can do for now...

Thank's

Even with those grainy pics I bet that thing looks so sweet in person

Leave a comment:

• bob-ingram
    replied
    Originally posted by gibson1001
    Bob,
    Thanks for all of the help on the setup.

Happy to help. For future the photos came from http://www.frets.com which is more geared toward acoustic fretted instruments, but it's a very helpful site.

Leave a comment:

• gibson1001
    replied
    Bob,
    Thanks for all of the help on the setup. The photos are really helpful. I have gone over this DC with a fine tooth comb and can't fine one thing wrong with the finish, joinery work or machines. For the money, I don't think there is a guitar out there that can touch it. I emailed Kurt and he said that he is going to get some different colors and pickup options in the near future. When he does I am going to pick up another one.

Leave a comment:

• bob-ingram
    replied
    Bob, the .011 is at the first fret not the 12th. Gibson recommends around .010 to .013 at the first and around 4/64 on the low E at the 12th and a little less on the the treble E. Fender's site recommends around the same tolerence. I have my Godin SDxt set a little higher at the 12th and I have some trouble barring major 7th's and 9th's in the higher register.

That makes since now. I don't measure my nut height like this. I hold down a string at the 2nd fret and look for the string to clear, just barely, the 1st fret. Like this.........

4/64th is also about right and I'd expect barre chords to be difficult any higher. I'd also expect the guitar to sound flat and non-dynamic any lower.

Sounds like you nailed this setup. So how do you like the Agile now?

Leave a comment:

• bob-ingram
    replied
    OK, tell me if this sounds ok. I adjusted the truss rod the best I could and reset the action. On the low E string its 5/64" and on the high E its 3/64". The low E still has a very lite buzz, I just can't find it. Must have a high fret somewhere. The pickups are set to " neck is 2/32" and the Bridge is 1/16". Does this sound right? It does sound pretty good when playing, what little I can play...
    Thank's for the help...

Actually that sounds exactly right, even the little buzz. Most electrics have a light buzz but you really can't hear it amplified.

Leave a comment:

• gibson1001
    replied
    Bob, the .011 is at the first fret not the 12th. Gibson recommends around .010 to .013 at the first and around 4/64 on the low E at the 12th and a little less on the the treble E. Fender's site recommends around the same tolerence. I have my Godin SDxt set a little higher at the 12th and I have some trouble barring major 7th's and 9th's in the higher register.

Leave a comment:

• evhell
    replied
    OK, tell me if this sounds ok. I adjusted the truss rod the best I could and reset the action. On the low E string its 5/64" and on the high E its 3/64". The low E still has a very lite buzz, I just can't find it. Must have a high fret somewhere. The pickups are set to " neck is 2/32" and the Bridge is 1/16". Does this sound right? It does sound pretty good when playing, what little I can play...
    Thank's for the help...

Leave a comment:

• bob-ingram
    replied
    Hi Bob, thanks for the info on the truss rod and set-up. I changed the strings on my DC to GHS 10-46's and was having the same trouble as Evhell. I ended up having to go three 1/4 turns of relief. I then adjusted the bridge for the action. I got it to about .070 on the low E at the 12th which I think is just a little over 4/64. I then was able to tighten the truss rod 1/4 turn to get .011 at the 1st fret. Now I am working on the intonation. Let you know how it works out.

Great. So the frett buzz is gone now?

.011 is too low for me on the E string. Extra low action does not mean good always. You lose dynamics and feel. I like about 4/64th on the treble side and 6/64th on the bass side, but this is your guitar.

Leave a comment:

• gibson1001
    replied
    Hi Bob, thanks for the info on the truss rod and set-up. I changed the strings on my DC to GHS 10-46's and was having the same trouble as Evhell. I ended up having to go three 1/4 turns of relief. I then adjusted the bridge for the action. I got it to about .070 on the low E at the 12th which I think is just a little over 4/64. I then was able to tighten the truss rod 1/4 turn to get .011 at the 1st fret. Now I am working on the intonation. Let you know how it works out.

Leave a comment:

• bob-ingram
    replied
    I put on the new strings and gave the truss rod 1/4 turn and let it sit for 2 hours. Then I checked it and it was the same, so I gave it another little turn and let it sit over night and I still can't get an high E string in there. Should I give it another turn? I checked the frets and there even. I may have to set it aside for month till I can get the money to send it out to get setup..
    Thank's

Sure, loosen it 1/4 turn at a time. This is to prevent over adjusting. You really only need to wait 15 minutes or so. If this won't get the relief into the neck, you might need to send it back.

Leave a comment:

• evhell
    replied
    I put on the new strings and gave the truss rod 1/4 turn and let it sit for 2 hours. Then I checked it and it was the same, so I gave it another little turn and let it sit over night and I still can't get an high E string in there. Should I give it another turn? I checked the frets and there even. I may have to set it aside for month till I can get the money to send it out to get setup..
    Thank's

Leave a comment:

Working...
X