X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agile Les Paul DC

I took a ride up to Rondo Music today. Our friend Axeslinger is right about the quality of these inexpensive instruments. I played no fewer than 10 of these LP copies, including single cutaway, double cutaway, the LP Jr. type with on PU and the double cutaway, a Black Beauty with Gold hardware. Everyone was perfect in fit and finish and as good a quality fret work as I've seen in any new guitar, up to the new Les Paul's. Everyone of them had a $239.99 price tag.

I settled on the Double Cutaway because I really liked the feel of the double cutaway, and the neck is more stable than an SG. I've had lots of Single cutaway Les Paul's and I've tried the double cutaway Les Paul's. I dislike the 24 fret necks because it changes the charactor of the neck PU, it sounds more like a middle PU to my ears, which I don't like. This is a 22 fret neck and the charactor ois the neck PU is great, warm and mellow.

I played it through a Peavey Classic 50 with 2x12 because I know the sound of the amp well. The Agile sounds very good. PU's are not the best but they're servicable and I won't be changing them. The sustain is excellent, every bit as good as any Lester I've owned. Controls are smooth and respond well, there was little loss of top end when I rolled the volume all the way down.

I dialed in anything from warm jazz to gritty Led Zep type, to singing sweet sustain ala Dickie Betts/Warren Hayes with no trouble. The guitar is balanced from top to bottom, in any sound.

I just got it home and I won't have time to fiddle around with it until later this week, but I'll put a better report and pictures up when I have a better chance to evaluate this guitar.

Here's the catalogue picture, I'll post pictures of mine later.

Bottom line, I wouldn't have spent $1000+ for a guitar, but at $239.99 for any one of the Agile's.........

Oh, and I took my Tenor Sax to them for service. Same guy was servicing Saxes as when I last had work done, in the early 80's, plus the electronics guy was the same one that's been there since 1975 when they opened the service department.
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Bob I <br />
    <br />
    I know that there are people who do not love their fellow man, and I hate people like that! </div>

Great!

Seriously, that review coming from somebody I trust means much. I was checking their websites quite often recently, but you know! That neck joint information for example is very difficult to come by as many people are not aware of it in the first place. Thanks!

Just a quick question. It says solid mahogany, and I am sure it is. Is it veneered (I mean on the back), and if not can you see haw many pieces it is. If you remember the LP types as well, that would be great! (I do not think it's a veneer back, as without a binding on the back it won't look good at all)

Happy 03!

Comment

Originally posted by kuntikin
      Great!

Seriously, that review coming from somebody I trust means much. I was checking their websites quite often recently, but you know! That neck joint information for example is very difficult to come by as many people are not aware of it in the first place. Thanks!

Just a quick question. It says solid mahogany, and I am sure it is. Is it veneered (I mean on the back), and if not can you see haw many pieces it is. If you remember the LP types as well, that would be great! (I do not think it's a veneer back, as without a binding on the back it won't look good at all)

Happy 03!

Good questions, I looked over several examples of this guitar. The neck appears to be standard dovetail like most set in necks, better than an SG, not quite as solid as a single cutaway. I'm satisfied that this guitar will be as stable as a real Les Paul and more stable than an SG.

The mahogany body is 3 pieces. There's a joint directly below to the neck joint running to the end, and another on the upper cutaway that's really just about 1". So the 2 pieces are about 6" wide and the length of the body, and the last is about 1" wide.

The neck seems to be one piece, but I haven't examined it under a magnifier yet. The headstock is 3 pieces, and the heel has an additional piece on it too.

The cap is typical carved Maple. It's nice, but not "PRS bookmatched" nice. It appears at first glance to be 2 pieces, but again, I need that magnifier LOL.

Overall, very standard construction practices, and NO PLYWOOD or laminated at all.
      <br />
      I know that there are people who do not love their fellow man, and I hate people like that! </div>

Comment

Originally posted by bob-ingram

The cap is typical carved Maple. It's nice, but not "PRS bookmatched" nice. It appears at first glance to be 2 pieces, but again, I need that magnifier LOL.

Overall, very standard construction practices, and NO PLYWOOD or laminated at all.

Cool! TY

The maple cap is a not a 3/4 inch thick maple, no? I remember asking that in Axeslinger's thread, and everybody went, like "how could you expect that?" Guys don't get me wrong, I just do not know, and that's why I am asking!

If so, I am ordering one now! If not maybe in a week or so!

Comment

BTW 3 pieces is excellent!

Of course it's not like a single piece honduran mahogany, but nonetheless, it's great!

Comment

Sweet! Sounds awesome!

2 Q's for you Bob:

1) Do they make 335 style hollowbodies?

2) How was the weight of their lesters?

Comment

Cool! TY

The maple cap is a not a 3/4 inch thick maple, no? I remember asking that in Axeslinger's thread, and everybody went, like "how could you expect that?" Guys don't get me wrong, I just do not know, and that's why I am asking!

If so, I am ordering one now! If not maybe in a week or so!

No guitar has a 3/4" thick maple cap. A Gibson is about 1/2" at the thickest part. I'd need to take this apart to measure it at the PU holes and I'm not not doing that right now, maybe later.

Also, it's been many years since a Mahogany piece could be farmed at over 13" wide, so even the Gibby's are at least 2 pieces.

No, this construction is exactly what I'd expect from the highest priced instruments.
              <br />

Comment

Originally posted by babybatter
                Sweet! Sounds awesome!

2 Q's for you Bob:

1) Do they make 335 style hollowbodies?

2) How was the weight of their lesters?

I'll weigh mine later, but I believe that you'll find them at about 8-10 lbs. No, I didn't see any 335 style bodies, only solid LP and Fender types, one Rick 330 type and some acoustics. The acoustics were tinny and thin sounding, my Takimine at only about 2x the price is a much better value.
                <br />

Comment

No guitar has a 3/4" thick maple cap. A Gibson is about 1/2" at the thickest part. I'd need to take this apart to measure it at the PU holes and I'm not not doing that right now, maybe later.

Also, it's been many years since a Mahogany piece could be farmed at over 13" wide, so even the Gibby's are at least 2 pieces.

No, this construction is exactly what I'd expect from the highest priced instruments.

Bob, it's cool. Don't get me wrong, I am not putting it down or asking you to check it by looking into the pickup cavity. Just thought you might know that's all.

On warmoth's site, it says 3/4 that's why. Here (their LP)

The Low Down:

Long 25-1/2" Scale Length (Strat

Comment

Bob, it's cool. Don't get me wrong, I am not putting it down or asking you to check it by looking into the pickup cavity. Just thought you might know that's all.

On warmoth's site, it says 3/4 that's why. Here (their LP)

The Low Down:

Long 25-1/2" Scale Length (Strat
                    <br />

Comment

Yea, and the check is in her mouth.

What they are saying is that they started carving a 3/4" piece of maple. If you measure the finished piece, it'll be less than 1/2".

Ever measure a 2x4? It's about 1 5/8" x 3 5/8". A lot of wood is lost in the finishing.

That, I did not know!

Comment

ya know? I thought about a DC when they came out but never opted for one. Nice looking axe in the pic. Glad another HC'er got a good one!
                        Yea though i walk through the "Valley-Of-Shadows", i shall not fear. For i have 2 spare sets of "Ernie Balls" in my guitar case! Muahahahaha!

Comment

Bob, what did you mean by the pickups are servicable?
                          meanning lowering or raising them, changing the pots?

glad for your purchase

Peace, bob
                          <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1">Classic Rock/Blues are not dead they just smell funny.<br />
                          Guitars:<br />
                          Epiphone re-iusse 63 Firdbird7<br />
                          '98 MIA Roadhouse Strat<br />
                          G&amp;L Custom shop Legacy<br />
                          G&amp;L Tribute Asat Classic<br />
                          Ibanez asf75t<br />
                          Epi. AlleyKat<br />
                          DeArmond JetStar<br />
                          electroCoustic BY Dave254<br />
                          Self built FrankenStrat<br />
                          Walden G630 CE<br />
                          MIJ Fender Tele<br />
                          AMPS<br />
                          1974 Twin in a headcab built by Shovelhead with a matching 2x12 cab<br />
                          1996 Crate VC50310<br />
                          1958 Fender Bassman Head<br />
                          <br />
                          Marshall 1965A 4x10 cab <br />
                          EFFECTS<br />
                          Digitech RP7<br />
                          Digitech RP10<br />
                          Digitech Genesis3<br />
                          Vox ToneLab SE<br />
                          Dunlop Crybaby<br />
                          RECORDING<br />
                          Cool Edit Pro2000<br />
                          Shure mics and enough cable to hang myself! lol<br />
                          Behringer EuroRack MX802A not grat but does the deed</font><br />
                          Member of the Geezer Brigade .... #258<br />
                          <a href="http://robmizzi.com" target="_blank">Click here to visit the robmizzi.com</a><br />
                          <br />
                          </div>

Comment

I took a ride up to Rondo Music today. Our friend Axeslinger is right about the quality of these inexpensive instruments. I played no fewer than 10 of these LP copies, including single cutaway, double cutaway, the LP Jr. type with on PU and the double cutaway, a Black Beauty with Gold hardware. Everyone was perfect in fit and finish and as good a quality fret work as I've seen in any new guitar, up to the new Les Paul's. Everyone of them had a $239.99 price tag.

I settled on the Double Cutaway because I really liked the feel of the double cutaway, and the neck is more stable than an SG. I've had lots of Single cutaway Les Paul's and I've tried the double cutaway Les Paul's. I dislike the 24 fret necks because it changes the charactor of the neck PU, it sounds more like a middle PU to my ears, which I don't like. This is a 22 fret neck and the charactor ois the neck PU is great, warm and mellow.

I played it through a Peavey Classic 50 with 2x12 because I know the sound of the amp well. The Agile sounds very good. PU's are not the best but they're servicable and I won't be changing them. The sustain is excellent, every bit as good as any Lester I've owned. Controls are smooth and respond well, there was little loss of top end when I rolled the volume all the way down.

I dialed in anything from warm jazz to gritty Led Zep type, to singing sweet sustain ala Dickie Betts/Warren Hayes with no trouble. The guitar is balanced from top to bottom, in any sound.

I just got it home and I won't have time to fiddle around with it until later this week, but I'll put a better report and pictures up when I have a better chance to evaluate this guitar.

Bottom line, I wouldn't have spent $1000+ for a guitar, but at $239.99 for any one of the Agile's.........

Sweet ...nice description of your buying process.

Comment

Originally posted by Six Stringer
                              Bob, what did you mean by the pickups are servicable?
                              Peace, bob

I mean that they sound good enough to use. I only change out PU's when they don't produce the sound I can use. These are not the bewst I've ever had, but I won't change them out.

Oh... and Peace, bob
                              <br />

Comment

• Working...
                                X