Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SKEAMO
    i was thinking of you this past weekend, Rob (in a manly way, of course). i found a little mom & pop place i'd never been to before, called hoosier dad's (it use to be hoosier daddy's but someone saw racial overtones in that name so it was changed). i found a used G&L tele so old the white was turning yellow with many dings and scratches. it played very nice but had some serious fret wear. price? 699.00 U.S.
    was this G&L overpriced or do they really hold their value that well?

Hmmmm. I'm not really a collector, but it seems to me that Leo-era G&Ls, with HIS sig in the neck pocket, should be worth more. But that does sound a bit steep, given that you can find 'em up here in Caaa-naaaaa-daaaaa in A1 shape for about $900 CDN which is about $600 US.

If you can call and get the serial no from them, I can see if I can date it...

Love the store name!!! LOL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SKEAMO
      i was thinking of you this past weekend, Rob (in a manly way, of course). i found a little mom & pop place i'd never been to before, called hoosier dad's (it use to be hoosier daddy's but someone saw racial overtones in that name so it was changed). i found a used G&L tele so old the white was turning yellow with many dings and scratches. it played very nice but had some serious fret wear. price? 699.00 U.S.
      was this G&L overpriced or do they really hold their value that well?

Never mind...I checked their web site. That's a 1986. First production year. I thot they were still called "Broadcasters" back then. Might be worth a bit as a collector's item.

But whoooaaaahhh!! They have an F100, like this one:

I've been looking for one of these for ages. Too bad I blew the bank this xmas, or i'd be ordering it. I have never played one, but some G&L fanatics call this the ultimate G&L. Did you check it out?? How did it play??

How about their SC3? And their 1982 S500??

That store is like used G&L heaven: they have about 10 used guitars and 6 of 'em are G&L!!! And I love their choices in new guitars to carry!!!

Comment

i didn't check models or numbers but i'm not real familiar with the G&L's. the guy told me there were two in the playing room along with a fender tele. the room was about the size of a small bathroom but it was just me, my wife, a cyber twin and those guitars. it was what trying out guitars should be: show me the good stuff, give me an amp in a private room & leave me alone. i just got started with the G&L when a bass player started up in the next room and he wasn't bashful. he was playing metal and i was doing blues riffs and never the twain shall meet. we left to check out another store.
        when i get back there, i'll check models & numbers. he told me they have 300 guitars in the store (there must be a warehouse in the back. i counted about 18).
        i bought an american tele at another store and have until sunday to decide if i want to keep it. decisions!

btw....your box is full, Rob.
        we're forming a club and letting everyone in.

Comment

Went to Cosmo Music only once back in 1990 ... never more since, a pure waste of time. Song Bird ... they're ok on some stuff, way overpriced on other, and some of the staff seriously lacks in Customer Care skills, while others are a pure pleasure to deal with.

Steve's great prices, big improvement in Customer Service over the years, busy, busy place; don't go there if you're in a hurry.

Long and McQuade has a tendency to be a tad pricier than the other stores, but I find their customer service the very best in Toronto. They were the only ones to give me a break with a in store line of credit after I was discharged from bankruptcy back in 1997 and treated me with dignity and respect when nobody else would loan me a dime. Obviously, that made me a major L&M mark!
          "Hmpf! Far out man, I almost broke my neck! Wow man, that's heavy!"

Comment

Bleah! L&M is the store that made me start looking elsewhere!

Comment

Personally, I feel they treat me with respect and I have a good consumer/store rapport with them. I used to find them a tad snooty the first few times I went there, but for the past 6 years I have no complaints at all.

I've dealt with too many morons at Song Bird to even take them seriously, and while the customer service at Steve's has improved tenfold since the late 80's, they still have too many "green" sales people for my own taste, and the screw up from last year (I'd finished paying off an Epiphone Sheritan II yet 2 monthly payments had been taken from my bank account after the fact) doesn't exactly fill me with the highest sense of confidence that they know what they're doing ... agreed, after discussing the issue with a manager the payments were refunded and all was well, but that's the type of screw-up I haven't experienced with L&M.

You may not like them, and that's fair enough, but they have been consistently great to me for 6 years straight.
              "Hmpf! Far out man, I almost broke my neck! Wow man, that's heavy!"

Comment

Brother Rob,

It's simple really. Large music stores could care less about selling to musicians. You see, musicians are poor, and they always want a deal. They are a pain in the ass if you're managing a music store.

Their target is the hobbiest. Hobbiests have a day job. They have money. They are not a big pain in the ass when it comes to the price. You can actually turn a profit.

Why do I believe this. I managed a mid-size full line music store for many years. We had all the stuff you described. You know where I made my money? Well, it was not from musicians. And it was certainly not from guitarists. It was from those who wished to be musicians. Remember, what you see as bla, hobbiests see as cool.

It's marketing man. And you ain't the target audience.

The music stores I like best are the ones run by folks who do it because they love it, not just some used car salesman crap. Also, you'll rarely find knowledgable salespeople at large music stores. The employee turnover is usually rather high because they don't want to pay comission anymore. It's kinda like a fast food restaurant now.

The sad final truth is this. Large chains and ebay are killing the small music store. Three great "small" shops went out of business in my area in the last year. They were the kind of place that you would have liked.

And what do you have against D'Addario? I've used them forever. Rarely break a string and always have consistant tone. Must be a Tele thing

Sorry to rant back at you man, but I understand both sides of the issue.
                And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

MySite - MyTube - MySpace

Comment

Okay, if you have 3 great guitar stores in town, why are you crying about one full of low-end stuff... you know what that low-end store does? It keeps the 14 year old limp creed manson wannabes out of your favorite decent guitar store... you can't have it all and then some more, just get over it and quit whining...

low-end stores serve a valuable purpose... a place to get good deals on strings, cables, straps, etc. and a place for the little wankers to hang out so they don't annoy you...
                  "Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' "
                  — Isaac Asimov

Comment

agreed. that's why i don't go to those places anymore. i like songbird and capsule better because they have nice, old second- hand guitars, amps, etc. i also like the support from the tech. department, especially the likes of tim dudley (songbird). he will look at optimizing your equipment for the best tone. he has performed absolute magic on some of my older tube rectified amps.

gonna check out grossman's any time soon? was there on the 18th of december. really dig macdonald's tone.
                    Practise vibrato, practise vibrato.......

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Quail
                      A couple of days ago I went to check out a music shop in the new neighbourhood; a place called Cosmo Music, it's one of the bigger stores in the Toronto area.

YAWWWWWNNNN!

Wall of fenders here, in the usual colours; 95% of them were strats. (Just how many ****************ing strats do we need on earth??) Wall of Pacificas and Ibanez there. A dozen Gibsons with "Please ask for assistance" cards tucked in behind the strings. About 10 of those PRS Santana #8 specials, and 5 "real" PRSs just to they could say they had 'em, hung up on the highest rack. A single, brown, dusty DeArmond on a floor stand, with two broken strings. Bla!! Just like a million guitar shops in a million neighbourhoods the world over.

Amps? 2 BJs, a Blues Deluxe, a DeVille; a Princeton with a fourteen year old plugged in playing Randy Rhodes really BADLY. A Peavey Classic 30, a Delta, and 2 Bandits, plus something called a "Rage" that smelled so strongly of silicon transistors it made me a bit queasy. A marshall somthing or other half-stack. A Line 6 thing. Bla!!! I spotted an Ampeg reissue, raced over to it, only to find that it was a bass amp.

Pedals? A big array of Boss things and Dan'o things in gawdy colours.

Acoustics? You bet...75% Yamaha, 10% Fender, 15% other assorted brands. Nothing exciting, except a wood-body resonophonic Fender that played so poorly it startled me.

I knew the price of everything before looking at the tags, except the MIM fenders, which continue to creep up.

Went to the counter. Asked for Ernie Ball 10-52's --- you guessed it, all out. "You want a set of D'Addarios in those enviro-packs?" "Not if it would bring world peace!!"

Went to the repair shop, asked about putting an fx loop in my BJ; a guy with a nametag that said "Bob" had a hard time understanding the question; he was sure I said "Blues Deville" but I pointed out that that amp already has an fx loop. "Oh yeah..." Bob, who according to the plaque on the wall is a Gold-Certified Fender Electronics Repair Technician, took my phone number and said he'd call back with a price. He hasn't.

There was nothing NOTHING NOTHING even remotely interesting or characterful in the whole store. I felt like jumping up on the counter and yelling "OOGA BOOGA!!" at the top of my lungs, just for a break from the oppressive blandness.

Ugh!!

- Rob

I know the feeling.
                      There's a shop like that near me. It sells mostly Strats, a couple of Tele's, a few well over priced Gibson LP's, one SG, 5 Ibanez, and About half the amount of Strats in Epiphones. Piss poor. Mind you, that's a more commercial store. When I buy a guitar, I like to take the hours drive down to my favourite store.

Comment

Originally posted by Luc The Tinkerer
                        Personally, I feel they treat me with respect and I have a good consumer/store rapport with them. I used to find them a tad snooty the first few times I went there, but for the past 6 years I have no complaints at all.

I've dealt with too many morons at Song Bird to even take them seriously, and while the customer service at Steve's has improved tenfold since the late 80's, they still have too many "green" sales people for my own taste, and the screw up from last year .

I havent been to the main L&M for years. The one on Steeles has such bad staff there it is a joke. Clueless. But I know some people who work at the Bloor store and I respect them. Luc, you also have clearly built up a great relationship with them over the years and that is as good as gold.

I have bought 3 guitars from Songbird and have dealt with their service staff as well, and they have always been top-notch. There is one guy behind the counter there who seems to know absolutely everything about every guitar that moves thru the place; pups, history, size of production runs, etc etc. As for their service staff I brought my S500 in there to have a buzz corrected on one fret, and the guy spent the whole day on my axe (which was all covered by their in-store warranty) doing the nicest fret dressing and set up I have ever seen. Free.

Steves has the worst staff and the worst prices in the GTA.

Comment

Originally posted by funky
                          Brother Rob,

It's simple really. Large music stores could care less about selling to musicians. You see, musicians are poor, and they always want a deal. They are a pain in the ass if you're managing a music store.

And what do you have against D'Addario? I've used them forever. Rarely break a string and always have consistant tone. Must be a Tele thing

Sorry to rant back at you man, but I understand both sides of the issue.

yeah, I understand the economics. But it still disappoints me. We all suffer, because the smaller guitar makers have trouble selling their stuff...

I got nothing against the strings. But I hate the damn packaging -- the so-called "enviro-paks" with all the strings in one plastic bag. Yecch!! (finicky bastard ain't I??)

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Quail
                            (finicky bastard ain't I??)

The first step to recovery is to admit that you have a problem.
                            - CAUTION: this product has caused some laboratory rats to rip through their cages, fly across the room and brutally murder hundreds of innocent people.

Comment

Originally posted by SomeGuyNamedRob

The first step to recovery is to admit that you have a problem.

Rob, since you live in the Chi, have you ever gone to Midwest Buy and Sell?

Comment

Originally posted by Jack E Martling

Rob, since you live in the Chi, have you ever gone to Midwest Buy and Sell?

Nope. So far I've just stuck to the three in my area : Guitar Works Ltd, Flynn Guitars, and The Sound Post. IMO, those three are pretty good stores - they each carry a nice array of stuff at all budget levels, and have staff that help you without riding piggy back (ok, Sound Post is a bit more in your face than the other two).

Robochimp has been telling me good things about Maknn Music downtown, but I still haven't checked it out.
                                - CAUTION: this product has caused some laboratory rats to rip through their cages, fly across the room and brutally murder hundreds of innocent people.

Comment

Working...
                                X