No announcement yet.

Bland, bland bland!! -- a rant about music stores

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rob Quail
    A couple of days ago I went to check out a music shop in the new neighbourhood; a place called Cosmo Music, it's one of the bigger stores in the Toronto area.

Mistake #1 - You went to one of the bigger stores.

Mistake #2 - You expected variety at a store that probably depends on high turnover to stay in business.
    - CAUTION: this product has caused some laboratory rats to rip through their cages, fly across the room and brutally murder hundreds of innocent people.

Comment

Originally posted by Sjonesmusic

This post is SOOOO 2002

HAR!

Excellent post!

Oops!?! Sorry...

My name is Dave and I play guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Quail

Why the hell didn't ta look me up, you Ottawa fuchkead!!

You shoulda gone 5 blocks further west to Capsule. It eats Songbird for lunch...

heh, sorry man, I was visiting a uhh...lady friend...whose a tad on the possesive side....next time I'm down, I'll try to have more time for stuff....and will make sure to check out this Capsule Music place....Heh!! I did, however, glance in the window at Steves and yeah...can sorta see why you're not too fond of it...in that case, the Ottawa location eats it for supper.

Comment

Doesn't sound that unusual. If you notice, most music stores have their less valuable stock closer to the front and floor. As you work your way back things are more exspensive and are higher up on a wall or behind the counter or behind glass. Fairly logical I think for a retailer if the store is getting robbed, but maybe not if there's a fire.

As to stock makeup, big retailers like Sam Ash and GC tend to have a wide selection of stuff though it's NOT always particularly deep. They may have 25 or 30 Telecasters of varying flavors but very often they won't have the one YOU want.

I actually like smaller/indie stores in this respect because they generally take better care of their stock. They're just as likely as not to have a unique or unusual model instrument when comparted to Ash/GC. Unlike Ash/GC they don't have everyone and their mother in to paw over any and ever guitar they can put their grubby hands on.
          Freedom is not free! Free men are not equal! Equal men are not free!

In memory of MoNkEy MaGiC!

Comment

And what the **************** is wrong with a wall of Strats?? I wish that we( i say we Rob, becuz I`m 48 and your not far behind) had this kind of selection, and the reasonable pricng and choice of quality when I was learning and coming up the ranks. All I had to choose from in my price range back then, was Kents and Aria`s with action so high, you`d bleed in 12 bars. A young kid reading your review of Cosmo, would think that its a place to run away from. I wish they had Asat Packs when I was 13! oh,, sorry,, I meant Strat packs, same diff....lol
            Music stores today, while highly commercial(after all it is a business), offer a lot more to today`s youth to choose from, and I think thats a good thing, no?? I know you carry a big stick around here, but but ya gotta call it for what it`s worth, and don`t give the new- to- guitar guys the wrong impression. Lighten up, pal.

Tonemaster
            old age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=4699&alid=-1

Comment

by accident, kind of, I found a very nice new store here in denver. I was at the kinman pickup site and was looking for a dealer, surprise one I had never heard of was 5 miles from my house. called them, open 7 days a week and they had kinman pickups installed in 8 different strat/tele's (really g&l's) to try out.

hauled ass over there played 5 different sets and picked out my xmas gift. yeah

very nice selection of toys, warrior hand builts, heritages, g&l's and ashdown and couple other brands of amps. rainsong acoustics (the graphite composite ones)

the guy was laid off from some music company, can't remember the name and opened his dream shop 3 weeks ago.

check out www.guitarx.com he even has the seatbelt guitar straps (can't remember who wanted one)

didn't get a chance to play everything tho he offered, definately will go back often.

not as much selection as the best place in town, www.wildwoodguitars.com but a hell of a lot closer. a very nice addition to this town.

telecastrmaster, you defiantely need to check this guy's shop out, you too shovelhead, funky it's a bit far for you but when you're intown stop there.

it's on broadway 5+ blocks south of i-25

Comment

I have all my guitars, amps, effects, tubes, speakers, strings and picks built to my exacting specs in order to avoid enduring such places.

Comment

Originally posted by deeperquest
                  Personally I prefer to go to second hand / used music stores. There is always the dream of finding that special something that someone else has tossed, and nothing beats the rush of getting a great negotiated bargain basement price

A little less than a year ago I walked into a used music store looking for a strat. I walked out with a near-mint red Nashville Tele that I absolutely love. $300.
                  Sentez l'amour...parlez francais!

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." --Voltaire

Comment

I wouldn't be seen dead in a store that stocks that Fender/Gibson/PRS cack

Comment

Originally posted by anteater
                      I wouldn't be seen dead in a store that stocks that Fender/Gibson/PRS cack

Off to Wal-mart!

Comment

Originally posted by Tonemaster2
                        And what the **************** is wrong with a wall of Strats?? I wish that we( i say we Rob, becuz I`m 48 and your not far behind) had this kind of selection, and the reasonable pricng and choice of quality when I was learning and coming up the ranks. All I had to choose from in my price range back then, was Kents and Aria`s with action so high, you`d bleed in 12 bars. A young kid reading your review of Cosmo, would think that its a place to run away from. I wish they had Asat Packs when I was 13! oh,, sorry,, I meant Strat packs, same diff....lol
                        Music stores today, while highly commercial(after all it is a business), offer a lot more to today`s youth to choose from, and I think thats a good thing, no?? I know you carry a big stick around here, but but ya gotta call it for what it`s worth, and don`t give the new- to- guitar guys the wrong impression. Lighten up, pal.

Tonemaster

Well he kinda a guitar snob. He only plays purple sparkly G & L's.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonemaster2

Tonemaster

I'm tired of the narrow selection at these places. There are lots of interesting guitars out there, but they are hard to find unless you go to the independents or used stores.

BTW, I'm 38. I just LOOK like an old fart like you. LOL

Comment

....geeze, I thought you were older, becuz you know so much!!!

T.
                            old age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=4699&alid=-1

Comment

i was thinking of you this past weekend, Rob (in a manly way, of course). i found a little mom & pop place i'd never been to before, called hoosier dad's (it use to be hoosier daddy's but someone saw racial overtones in that name so it was changed). i found a used G&L tele so old the white was turning yellow with many dings and scratches. it played very nice but had some serious fret wear. price? 699.00 U.S.
                              was this G&L overpriced or do they really hold their value that well?
                              we're forming a club and letting everyone in.

Comment

At least you've got quality. The only music store within 30 miles of my house has one Gibson LP Studio. The rest are Epiphones and Washburns. Bleh.

Comment

Working...
                                X