Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aslin Dane 335 style

In the thread about the Agile Les Paul, Babybatter asked about a 335 style guitar. I have the 335 copy made by Aslin Dane. (The one they call "The Jazz".) At the time I bought it, I wasn't looking for another guitar, but I picked it up and fell in love. It's as good as any Gibson I've ever played, and better than many. I cannot say enough good things about it. All me friends were skeptical till they tried it. Once they did, they all became believers.

The come in 2 different models. One that's just like a 335 with a 16 inch bout and a center block that extends the entire depth pof the body, and one with a 17 inch bout where the center block extends only half way to the back. I have the 17 inch bout model.

Check out the reviews they've received.
    http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Aslin-Dane/Jazz-335-Copy-01.html
    "When I gave food to the poor, they called me a saint. When I asked why the poor were hungry, they called me a communist." - Mother Teresa.

"If fascism ever comes to America, it will come wrapped in the American flag and carrying the cross of Jesus"- Sinclair Lewis.

'Ketchup is a vegetable" - Ronald Reagan.

"Let's all hope Olbermann gets put in the hospital for something serious fairly soon" - G.Z. Sound
    +++++
    My web site

I saw an Aslin Dane 175 copy at the local Music Go Round recently, and the finish was chipped in several places around the edges of the F holes. Have you had any problems with this on your 335?

Other than that, the 175 seemed like a steal for the price they were asking!

Comment

One thing that's always interested me about the Aslin Dane guitars is the synthetic fretbaord. Supposed to be super smooth and very stratight, plays like ebony.

Stringman, how do you like yours compared to a wooden board?

Comment

Mine is perfect. Not a blemish anywhere. I think the 175 copy you saw in the store might have been damaged in transit.

The phrenolic fretboard does feel a little different than wood. It is very smooth. Some might think it TOO smooth. And there are no dead spots or wolf tones anywhere on the neck/ I like it a lot. So much so that I had one of their necks installed on another guitar. Somewhere on this forum is a thread I started called "My new guitar" in which I mentioned that I replaced the neck on a Fernandez strat. I didn't mention it on that thread, but the repacement neck was an Aslin Dane with the phrenolic fretboard.

The fretboard material is not completely synthetic. It's a wood and resin combination. Some people feel that the fretboard has to be made out of wood, and don't like the IDEA of using a semi-synthetic material. I say that's just a prejudice. Like I said, I wasn't in the market for another guitar when I bought this. I simply tried it out and fell in love with it.
        "When I gave food to the poor, they called me a saint. When I asked why the poor were hungry, they called me a communist." - Mother Teresa.

"If fascism ever comes to America, it will come wrapped in the American flag and carrying the cross of Jesus"- Sinclair Lewis.

"Let's all hope Olbermann gets put in the hospital for something serious fairly soon" - G.Z. Sound
        +++++
        My web site

Comment

That's what I've heard about those necks. They're lively in every spot, no dead areas. That's what keeps my interest up. I have no problem using alternative materials. Hell, I built my cabin in New Mexico using straw bales

Comment

Wayrockin, aside from the chips in the finish on the one you saw, how did you like it? Specifically, what did you think of the neck and the way it sounded?

+++++
            My web site

Comment

Working...
            X