Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

My lovely 'cruz and winter humidity levels.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My lovely 'cruz and winter humidity levels.

I've had my wonderful handmade acoustic for a year now, its starting to play in and bloom, and has developed a nice little pre-war belly under the bridge. The top of this thing is like a speaker when you play, it sings. And thats the fastest neck you'll ever play on an acoustic.

After having to take an emergency trip to a luthier early on, I've learned to defeat the ravages of low humidity Iowa winters.

I bought several case humidifiers, a hygrometer, and a room humidifer for my recording space. I'm able to keep my guitars at an RH of 44 pretty reliably, even when levels outside approach the teens.

Just move to Florida already.

Comment

What ended up being the "magic bullet" for you, Doc?
      I remember a great thread on this, and it seemed like keeping the room temperature low while you weren't using the room seemed to be one trick to keeping the room's humidity up a bit.
      But, it looks like maybe you went with the whole room humidifier?

Comment

The room humidifier, definitely. Bought it at lowes for about eighty bucks. Its pretty much automatic, it'll keep my room at 44 which is just about perfect. I found if I try to get it to fifty I start getting uncomfortable, it messes with my head.

Comment

The "kind" just gets way to sticky over 50%, eh Doc?

Don't mind me... I'm just jealous. It's been a while...
          "Say hello to the rug's topography..."

Comment

Any other strategies anyone uses for humidity and their acoustics?

No offense intended, but (see above) . . .

Old is the new new.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
            -Dorothy Parker

Comment

Originally posted by Timezarrow

I just use a Planet Waves humidifier - the kind that hangs between the strings. I also bought a hygrometer from a cigar dealer on ebay ($10.00) and attached it inside the case with velcro. That was when the guitar was new and I was pretty anal about casing it. Now I usually just leave the guitar out on a stand since it lives in the basement family room. Haven't had any problems, and if the guitar does start to dry out I can always case it for a while to get the moisture back up.
              Trooper #210 - GB

Comment

I live in Fl, I just open the windows.

Comment

Cut an apple in half and throw them in the case.
                  Geezer Trooper #222

Comment

I just leave a bowl of water on top of a heater and let natural evaporation do the job.Cheaper than a humidifier and just as effective.
                    You can lead a man to knowledge but you can't make him think.

Comment

Originally posted by Timezarrow

how the heck did you dredge this chestnut up?

the real secret...let your cat urinate in the lining of the case periodically...
                      "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminent period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

Comment

Take those plastic film containers and drill/puncture some holes in the top.

Take an old sponge and cut a small section that fits in the container.

Soak the sponge and wring it out, put it in the container. Leave in the case.
                        Real Men Play Telecasters!

Were you doing better when "rich" people were makin' money, OR are you better off now?

Fuchs ODS 30, BadCat HC15, 63' Fender Blackface Bandmaster, Mesa-Boogie Mark, Mesa-Boogie Tremoverb, Mesa-boogie Heartbreaker, MusicMan 112RD

Comment

Originally posted by booty0bandit
                          The "kind" just gets way to sticky over 50%, eh

Tell me about it
                          GuitarCenter sucks.
                          MusiciansFriend sucks.
                          This has been a public service message.

Comment

I feel like a paleontologist in this thread.

But, I must add my solution to the humidty problem: living in North Carolina. Not too wet, not too dry. A nice place to not have to deal with humidifiers.
                            www.sheerwillpower2.com

Comment

Originally posted by mdog114
                              Take those plastic film containers and drill/puncture some holes in the top.

Take an old sponge and cut a small section that fits in the container.

Soak the sponge and wring it out, put it in the container. Leave in the case.

I once read on the acoustic forum to do the same thing with one of those plastic soapdishes. That way you can use a full-size sponge and you won't have to dampen it as much.

BTW, the general concensus was that the optimal RH range is 40%-60%.
                              Cornelius Clodhopper

Comment

Working...
                              X