Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can an Adult write a Song That Sounds Like it was Written By Children???

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can an Adult write a Song That Sounds Like it was Written By Children???

I have been listening to the radio lately and it occured to me that the common factor among pop music is that it sounds "youthful". Not complex. Poor vocals. Excellent production. "Novel."

When bands get older, their stuff loses its innocence. Then you hear someone like Alanis Morisette hissing into the microphone trying to sound young 10 years after her debut and its just embarassing.

Some exec takes a kid who spent all his afterschool daydream time forming simple tunes that are "bad" by typical musical standards and then props them up with some serious studio musicians and production.

That said, why then include the kid at all? I must believe that some great studio musicians can write "hits", but what I want to know is if they can write something that sounds youthful? Intentionally simplistic. Novel. A hit?

Some of the great pop musicians who display longevity are also seriously lacking brain cells and maturity. Does growing up kill one's musical sense?

Avril Lavinge's songwriters seem to have it down

Comment

Originally posted by ShatteredMindofBob
      Avril Lavinge's songwriters seem to have it down

Good point.

Comment

Anyone remember Melanie Safka?

She wrote songs such as "Brand New Key", about a pair of rollerskates and "Alexander Beetle" about a pet she kept in a matchbox.

And then there's whoever writes Phoebe's "songs" in Friends.
        Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

Comment

Alot of gals out there were making big in the 70's and 80's with the little girl routine and the cheesecake image with kid type lyrics (like "Hey Mickey!" for example). And it still works today as well with brittney.

But there was a serious attempt in the 90's to squelch that look and make women alot more serious as musicians and entertainers. The rough image and serious lyrics killed off the goody cheer leader image during that time.

Personally, i kinda liked it....

...and yessssss, i know what i am....

Yea though i walk through the "Valley-Of-Shadows", i shall not fear. For i have 2 spare sets of "Ernie Balls" in my guitar case! Muahahahaha!

Comment

Yep, its been done. Two aging R&B session players wrote some pop tunes and hired some handsome young devils to go out and pretend to sing the stuff. It worked, the teenagers ate it up. They won a Grammy, but had to give it back when they were found out when the tape machine broke during one of their lipsynched "concerts". Milli Vanilli made history as the most ridiculous of the grammy voters many gaffes through the years.

I've often wondered: what if the r&b guys had have searched a little harder, and found a couple of pretty boys who could actually sing their tunes rather than lipsynch them? Would they still be a fraud?

Comment

Originally posted by StratKat

. . .
              But there was a serious attempt in the 90's to squelch that look and make women alot more serious as musicians and entertainers. The rough image and serious lyrics killed off the goody cheer leader image during that time.

Are you talking about gals like Alanis? Lets see, who were some of the other ones. . .

To my ears, this kind of music sounded immature although I know there was an attempt to infuse it with street credibility. It was called "alternative". Kids were wearing flannel. Its funny cos these same "serious" teens are now watching Buffy.

I laugh when teenagers try to act tough. Music is one of the avenues they use to submerse themselves in that "lifestyle". A girl who listened to Alanis was much more "cool" that one who listened to Brittney.

For my money, I'll take Brittney. In certain regards its much more honest. They never hid the fact the songs were written by someone else and Brittneys primary appeal hits below the belt (wink). I'll take that over a hissy, pimply grunge-primadonna anyday.

Comment

Originally posted by bang!
                Does growing up kill one's musical sense?

Absolutely not. I 'm almost 57 (my birthday is next Saturday,) and am making the best music of my entire life. But I'm making music that befits a man of my age. It would be ludicrous for me to write about how much I hate my gym teacher, or that my mom is ragging on me to clean up my room. If I were a songwriter (which I'm not) I'd write about missing my mother, who died 7 years ago, or worrying about my 90 year old father's health, or about paying the bills.

The problem is when older people like me can't accept their age and try to be something they're not. The music biz, with it's emphasis on catering to the youth market encourages this.

My signature line is never too old to rock and roll, and that's true, But no matter what style you play, you have to play music that's in keeping with your age.
                "When I gave food to the poor, they called me a saint. When I asked why the poor were hungry, they called me a communist." - Mother Teresa.

"If fascism ever comes to America, it will come wrapped in the American flag and carrying the cross of Jesus"- Sinclair Lewis.

'Ketchup is a vegetable" - Ronald Reagan.

"Let's all hope Olbermann gets put in the hospital for something serious fairly soon" - G.Z. Sound
                +++++
                My web site

Comment

yeah but ion all fairness the number of years a person lives doesnt always equate to being a grown up! I mean shoot, im 44 and im still a kid....
                  Yea though i walk through the "Valley-Of-Shadows", i shall not fear. For i have 2 spare sets of "Ernie Balls" in my guitar case! Muahahahaha!

Comment

I wish that I could fly
                    Into the sky
                    So very high
                    Just like a dragonfly

Oh I want to get away
                    I want to fly away
                    Yeah yeah yeah

Lenny Kravitz writes lyrics that sound like they were stolen from the diary of a lonely 10 year old girl doped to the gills on Ritalin and Dimetapp. I can just imagine him dotting each "i" with a little sad face.
                    "I had a cat named Snowball
                    She died! She died!
                    Mom said she was sleeping
                    She lied! She lied!"

Comment

Ummmmmm, i believe that song was written by another group quite a few years ago....

Comment

hey, what about that Tom Waits song, I Don't Want to Grow Up or whatever it's called...it's on Bone Machine....****************ing great song...but....yeah...

Comment

StratKat - If you were replying to me, that song is credited to Kravitz, and he's collecting royalties on it. If it was written by somebody else, he's got some 'splaining to do.

SMoBob - That is a great song, The Ramones did a cool cover of it. I would say it sounds more like an adult trying to invoke a childhood feel, though, since most kids don't talk about drinking all night and paying mortgages.
                          She died! She died!
                          She lied! She lied!"

Comment

thamiam-

i guess you are right! I would have swore i heard that tune back in the 70's! But he is credited with the rights so "Sorry Lenny!"

Comment

Originally posted by StratKat
                              thamiam-

i guess you are right! I would have swore i heard that tune back in the 70's! But he is credited with the rights so "Sorry Lenny!"

Well, nobody's every accused LK of being 'too original'
                              She died! She died!
                              She lied! She lied!"

Comment

Working...
                              X