No announcement yet.

Master Bluegrass Picker McReynolds Dies

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master Bluegrass Picker McReynolds Dies

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (Reuters) - Bluegrass music veteran James McReynolds, who with his mandolin-playing brother Jesse formed the legendary "Jim & Jesse" duo honored in the Country Music Hall of Fame, has died, funeral home officials said.

McReynolds, 75, had been suffering from cancer and died on Tuesday at the Sumner Regional Medical Center in Gallatin, Tennessee, and will be buried at his boyhood home of Coeburn, Virginia, Pete Davis of the Alexander Funeral Home said.

McReynolds' wife, Areta, died two weeks ago of a heart attack.

Backed by their band, "The Virginia Boys," their first single "The Flame of Love," backed by "Gosh I Miss You All the Time," spent weeks on the national charts. Other songs regarded as Jim & Jesse classics are "Cotton Mill Man," "Diesel on My Tail," "Are You Missing Me" and "Paradise."

Jim's enhanced high tenor and guitar playing combined with Jesse's deep-voiced singing and unique mandolin style to produce their distinctive sound. Jesse developed a cross-picking technique and "split-string" style few could duplicate.

The brothers' performing career was interrupted by service in both World War II and the Korean War.

They joined the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville in 1964, and their numerous honors included induction into the Country Music Hall of Fame's "Walkway of Stars" and the International Bluegrass Music Association's Hall of Honor.

Another one gone.
    Reality is the original Rorschach.

Comment

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rock-T...42372179125069

http://www.myspace.com/rockthebosss

MARSHALL 1959
      MARSHALL TSL100
      MARSHALL SLX 900
      MARSHALL JUBILEE 2555
      MARSHALL 2204
      MARSHALL 2210
      MARSHALL 9005