No announcement yet.

On maple necks and strats and such..

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On maple necks and strats and such..

I ain't gonna bump a certain troll's post. But there was an on-topic issue raised.

Fender didn't introduce rosewood necked strats until 1959. So there were five years of maple-neck strats before the first RW one was shipped outa Leo's door.

Just thought I'd get this off my chest in a non-troll-bumping manner.

Damn Rob, you take that no troll rule serious as a mofo, don't ya?
    My Strat has a maple board, and I wish my tele did too. It's a matter of taste.

Some people have none.

Comment

Reality is the original Rorschach.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Quail
        I ain't gonna bump a certain troll's post. But there was an on-topic issue raised.

Fender didn't introduce rosewood necked strats until 1959. So there were five years of maple-neck strats before the first RW one was shipped outa Leo's door.

Just thought I'd get this off my chest in a non-troll-bumping manner.

Cool info. I did not know that!

My rule was: alder with RW and ash with maple. But the last strat I've bought, a 02 mary kay white ash RW strat plays and sounds like a dream. Thus my stupid rule went down the drain.

Damn the troll man!

Comment

SRV didn't care. Neither do I.

Comment

Originally posted by stratosteve
            It's a matter of taste.

Precisely. And it's not a matter of sound, it's a matter of feel. Can anybody tell from listening to a recording what kind of wood the guitar's fretboard was made of?

I recently replaced the neck of my Fernandez strat with one made by Aslin Dane with a phrenolic (resin) fretboard. I think it's a major improvement over the original.
            "When I gave food to the poor, they called me a saint. When I asked why the poor were hungry, they called me a communist." - Mother Teresa.

"If fascism ever comes to America, it will come wrapped in the American flag and carrying the cross of Jesus"- Sinclair Lewis.

'Ketchup is a vegetable" - Ronald Reagan.

"Let's all hope Olbermann gets put in the hospital for something serious fairly soon" - G.Z. Sound
            +++++
            My web site

Comment

My current Strat is rosewood, my former Strat was maple and I liked it better.

U
              v

Comment

i think the sound of a maple board is just more *crisp* than rosewood. a tele with a maple board can almost sound like shattering crystal. 'course i haven't played a tele with RW but the RW strat cannot get the same tone. i think there's a noticable difference.

someone should post soundclips
                we're forming a club and letting everyone in.

Comment

Originally posted by Stringman

Precisely. And it's not a matter of sound, it's a matter of feel. Can anybody tell from listening to a recording what kind of wood the guitar's fretboard was made of?

I recently replaced the neck of my Fernandez strat with one made by Aslin Dane with a phrenolic (resin) fretboard. I think it's a major improvement over the original.

Actually, I think that the highs were much more brittle and "twangy" on my maple board Strat than on my (otherwise identical) rosewood board unit.

COULD have been the pickups, but I'm thinking the maple fingerboard was a little more snappy.

Comment

Hell,, I thought there were laws against rosewood fretboards on Strats

Comment

here's my '58-59, various opinions on the actual age because of the 3 color burst, but the neck is a 58

Comment

All I know is that I prefer the look and feel of maple necks over the rosewood fretboards.

Though I also like those wacky Parker necks.

Comment

Maple boards are brighter, RW is warmer, can't believe folks can't hear it. Maple is for fenders and RW is for gibsons, that's all there is to it.

Comment

I'm with those that say maple boards sound much brighter and "sharper" (not as round sounding). I've had Strats with rosewood boards; right now I have both a Strat and a Tele with maple boards. I just think that the entire neck vibrates differently when it's all maple vs a maple/rosewood mix; this is even more pronouced when playing a neck with the big honking "slab" rosewood boards.

As a side note, I had a friend who souped up an old 70's Japanese Les Paul copy with a set of Duncans (don't ask why). This particular one was one of those rare models with a maple fret board. You guessed it; it was the brightest sounding Les Paul you've ever heard in your life, even considering it weighed a damn ton.

Comment

beauty of a strat there jetboy.
                              we're forming a club and letting everyone in.

Comment

Working...
                              X