Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's my idea for a new HC revenue project

I posted this in the thread in the Guitar forum- what do you think?

Well, here's a thought-

This is a site for musicians. There are some REALLY GOOD musicians here.

Each year, solicit songs from anyone who has the talent (and the guts) to participate.

Take the 12 or 15 best, put them on a CD, and sell it.

We'd ALL buy one, if it was reasonably priced; as an annual event, you would have the revenue stream forever; your production costs would be minimal; and, most important, it would give musicians the opportunity to put their music out there!

Who knows- someone (or several someones, over time) could get "discovered" and start their professional career...
    ... there's more guitar content and less annonymous cowards grinding their axes ...

that'd work...

In addition, I'd be first in line to buy a shirt or a cup if it had a nifty slogan on it...perhaps something like this.

Harmony Central ...helping musicians survive their day job since XXXX

Comment

Originally posted by PrimeMover
      that'd work...

In addition, I'd be first in line to buy a shirt or a cup if it had a nifty slogan on it...perhaps something like this.

1996???? Before my time anyway.

Comment

Dynamite idea!

Comment

Incidentally, I'd be willing to lend my services to compiling and mastering a collection of songs...wouldn't be the first time I've done something like that.

The real question would be, how would this group go about paying for getting a pressing...and how would it be marketed?

Comment

It would have to be an official HC thing to work.

Comment

Originally posted by PrimeMover
              Incidentally, I'd be willing to lend my services to compiling and mastering a collection of songs...wouldn't be the first time I've done something like that.

The real question would be, how would this group go about paying for getting a pressing...and how would it be marketed?

What Doc said- Scott would want to do this as a business enterprise, it wouldn't be a project for the Forumites, except for providing the talent... well, actually, what about this- all the budding recording engineers on the forum could volunteer to do the technical work; in return, they'd get something to put on their resume. If someone had the means to do the graphics for the discs and the cases, they could work something out with Scott (maybe reduced fees in return for some free advertising).

I think this would be a very cool thing for HC to look into- I'd love to be able to buy a CD with some of the playing you guys put out.
              ... there's more guitar content and less annonymous cowards grinding their axes ...

Comment

TCM,

this is an excellent idea in principle and one I would be willing to subscribe to...........but, to ask the obvious question, what is the purpose of raising this revenue Not being suspicious, just curious.

Secondly I think the 'who does what' question would have to be very sensitively handled. I agree with the feeling this would have to have official backing but I kinda feel that the production would be better left to forumites for no other reason other than a greater feeling of pride in ownership. Also it would give those lesser able players an increased opportunity to participate.

Finally to quote Prime:

Agree totally.

take care

Russ T

Comment

Originally posted by Russ T Nail
                  TCM,

this is an excellent idea in principle and one I would be willing to subscribe to...........but, to ask the obvious question, what is the purpose of raising this revenue Not being suspicious, just curious.

Russ T

Sneaky6 started a thread here on Vets that links to another thread on the Guitar forum, which started out as a discussion of sending money to Scott Lehman to upgrade the servers so the forums wouoldn't be so slow. It evolved into a discussion of how HC makes money; the common sentiment was, rather than just sending cash, people would be happy to buy stuff.

Scott weighed in a few times with info regarding his revenue streams, how they work and how they can be improved. He's a self-proclaimed "capitalist pig", which I can definitely respect and admire.

Thinking about what I would be willing to buy, to support the site and put some money in Scott's pocket, it occurred to me that access to the music would be the single product I would be most likely to purchase.

Comment

Some time before Christmas, I started a similar thread, wondering about contributing cash to get this @*!#& forum up to some kind of bearable speed. I emailed the administrators about it, too, without getting any reply ...

One of the comments that cropped up in the replies was that HC wasn't exactly hurting financially, and that surely they could afford a bit more RAM or disk space or whatever if they felt like it...

I think that if the funds raised by selling a CD or T-shirts were put to a specific, auditable use (see Russ T's post), then people would generally be enthusiastic...
                    Rusty

...it's only rock n roll, but it'll fry your neurapses...

Visit the RustyZone, folks!

Comment

Originally posted captain_rusty

by Some time before Christmas, I started a similar thread, wondering about contributing cash to get this @*!#& forum up to some kind of bearable speed.

Dave, Your post was exactly what I had in mind when I raised the question and I'm pleased to see TCM concurs.

If tonights performance is anything to go by, a server upgrade is dearly needed

Gentlemen, I commend the idea to the House !

Russ T

Comment

Working...
                      X