Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Does anyone use humbuckers in the mid position?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse









X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Does anyone use humbuckers in the mid position?

    I've gotta single coil in my bridge and sent it through the pickup modelling (SC>HB) on my RP2000.

    It sounded too middy I think.....like a wah pedal in around mid sweep but not quite.

    I thought this might just be the result of attempting pup modelling. Does anyone use HBs in the mid position?? How do they sound?
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Check out my music at http://nigeld.freewebspace.com<br />
    <br />
    <font size="1"><b>On Toronto vs. the UK<br />
    <br />
    <i>rosskoss:</i></b> Well there you go then. I can't see how one can choose something else over that? Lotsa music, slutty chicks, nice weather, no SARS...<br />
    <br />
    <b><i>Six String Stuntman Steve:</i></b> No SARS? Hear Hear!!! This might be the better place to go afterall!!</font><br />
    </div>

  • #2
    I don't really play humbucker equipped guitars much these days but I've used the mid position quite a bit over the years on my Les Paul. I've got a 1976 Deluxe with the bridge position mini humbucker replaced with a Duncan JB. There are all kinds of cool tones on tap if you play around with different volume settings on each pickup. I'm not really familiar with pickup modeling but with the real thing it sounds damn good.

    Comment


    • #3
      the mid setting on my LP seems to bring out the mids more (makes sense).
      at times it seems to give it more depth. it works out well when i'm looking for a bluesy sound on the LP. kinda funny, but i think i've looked for the sound you're trying to eliminate...even to the point of setting a wah pedal at half open (i put a brick on it). gives an overdriven single coil a kind of "wrenching" sound.
      <div class="signaturecontainer">we're forming a club and letting everyone in.</div>

      Comment


      • #4
        mid position on a les paul is home to it's best sounds imho.

        Comment


        • #5
          But don't LPs usually have one humbucker in the neck and one in the bridge??
          <div class="signaturecontainer">Check out my music at http://nigeld.freewebspace.com<br />
          <br />
          <font size="1"><b>On Toronto vs. the UK<br />
          <br />
          <i>rosskoss:</i></b> Well there you go then. I can't see how one can choose something else over that? Lotsa music, slutty chicks, nice weather, no SARS...<br />
          <br />
          <b><i>Six String Stuntman Steve:</i></b> No SARS? Hear Hear!!! This might be the better place to go afterall!!</font><br />
          </div>

          Comment


          • #6
            correct. the mid position combines the two with volume & tone controls for each pup.
            <div class="signaturecontainer">we're forming a club and letting everyone in.</div>

            Comment


            • #7
              I do on my heritage all the time, but usually with one of the pickups turned down about halfway.

              A couple questions:

              1. If I turn either volume down in the middle position, it cuts out all the sound. Is this normal?

              2. I get a little less hum in the mid position than with either humbucker soloed. Is this weird? I think that both pickups are acting as full humbuckers because there is infitely less noise out of them than out of my strat pickups.
              <div class="signaturecontainer">The noise was good, but I thought they phoned in a lot of the funk.<br />
              <br />
              <div class="bbcode_container">
              <div class="bbcode_quote">
              <div class="quote_container">
              <div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div>

              <div class="bbcode_postedby">
              <img src="images/misc/quote_icon.png" alt="Quote" /> Originally Posted by <strong>Theodore Roosevelt</strong>
              <a href="showthread.php?p=32359225#post32359225" rel="nofollow"><img class="inlineimg" src="images/buttons/viewpost-right.png" alt="View Post" /></a>
              </div>
              <div class="message">Those who oppose all reform will do well to remember that ruin in its worst form is inevitable if our national life brings us nothing better than swollen fortunes for the few and the triumph in both politics and business of a sordid and selfish materialism.</div>

              </div>
              </div>
              </div> </div>

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Bassopotamus
                I do on my heritage all the time, but usually with one of the pickups turned down about halfway.

                A couple questions:

                1. If I turn either volume down in the middle position, it cuts out all the sound. Is this normal?

                2. I get a little less hum in the mid position than with either humbucker soloed. Is this weird? I think that both pickups are acting as full humbuckers because there is infitely less noise out of them than out of my strat pickups.


                I don't know about #2, but the answer to #1 is "no." Well, it depends on the guitar. Most Gibson 2-HB style guitars and their clones should allow for independent volume controls in the middle position, as in this diagram

                http://www.guitarelectronics.com/diagrams/oem/lespaul.html

                The thing to note here is how the "hot" wire of each pickup goes to the MIDDLE lug of its volume pot. I will bet 20 bazillion dollars that if you open up your Heritage, the wiring on the left and middle lugs of each volume pot is reversed.
                <div class="signaturecontainer">CONTAINS TRACE AMOUNTS OF ROCK AND COUNTRY. <a target="_blank" href="http://www.myspace.com/southboundlane">South Bound Lane</a><br><br>HC 3.0 -- Making you miss HC 2.0</div>

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by mattburnside


                  I don't know about #2, but the answer to #1 is "no." Well, it depends on the guitar. Most Gibson 2-HB style guitars and their clones should allow for independent volume controls in the middle position, as in this diagram

                  http://www.guitarelectronics.com/diagrams/oem/lespaul.html

                  The thing to note here is how the "hot" wire of each pickup goes to the MIDDLE lug of its volume pot. I will bet 20 bazillion dollars that if you open up your Heritage, the wiring on the left and middle lugs of each volume pot is reversed.


                  Well, they are independent until you kill one or the other. Doesn't make much difference to me (And I am not going fishing around in there ) since it sounds good even if it might be screwey.
                  <div class="signaturecontainer">The noise was good, but I thought they phoned in a lot of the funk.<br />
                  <br />
                  <div class="bbcode_container">
                  <div class="bbcode_quote">
                  <div class="quote_container">
                  <div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div>

                  <div class="bbcode_postedby">
                  <img src="images/misc/quote_icon.png" alt="Quote" /> Originally Posted by <strong>Theodore Roosevelt</strong>
                  <a href="showthread.php?p=32359225#post32359225" rel="nofollow"><img class="inlineimg" src="images/buttons/viewpost-right.png" alt="View Post" /></a>
                  </div>
                  <div class="message">Those who oppose all reform will do well to remember that ruin in its worst form is inevitable if our national life brings us nothing better than swollen fortunes for the few and the triumph in both politics and business of a sordid and selfish materialism.</div>

                  </div>
                  </div>
                  </div> </div>

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I think I've been misunderstood.

                    What I meant is....does anyone have a H/H/H guitar or S/H/S, etc...which a humbucker pickup in the middle.

                    A single coil sounds ok there, but how does the humbucker sound?
                    <div class="signaturecontainer">Check out my music at http://nigeld.freewebspace.com<br />
                    <br />
                    <font size="1"><b>On Toronto vs. the UK<br />
                    <br />
                    <i>rosskoss:</i></b> Well there you go then. I can't see how one can choose something else over that? Lotsa music, slutty chicks, nice weather, no SARS...<br />
                    <br />
                    <b><i>Six String Stuntman Steve:</i></b> No SARS? Hear Hear!!! This might be the better place to go afterall!!</font><br />
                    </div>

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Nigel:







                      /Johan
                      <div class="signaturecontainer">Capt'n Rusty-talk : &quot;Ou est le Jam du Cyber ???&quot;</div>

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Egad!!

                        Hmm, maybe they shouldda tried a duckbucker in the mid position. Three humbuckers looks kinda ugggly
                        <div class="signaturecontainer">Check out my music at http://nigeld.freewebspace.com<br />
                        <br />
                        <font size="1"><b>On Toronto vs. the UK<br />
                        <br />
                        <i>rosskoss:</i></b> Well there you go then. I can't see how one can choose something else over that? Lotsa music, slutty chicks, nice weather, no SARS...<br />
                        <br />
                        <b><i>Six String Stuntman Steve:</i></b> No SARS? Hear Hear!!! This might be the better place to go afterall!!</font><br />
                        </div>

                        Comment



                        Working...
                        X