No announcement yet.

I have see the future. It is the Line 6 Variaxe

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have see the future. It is the Line 6 Variaxe

I had a chance to put this amazing guitar through it's paces at the NAMM show, and I am VERY imporssed. It has 55 built in presets, emulating every kind of guitar there is. Not all of them work. The acoustics and 12 strings and banjo leave a lot to be desired, but the Tele and Strat and Les Paul and jazz box sounds are great. This guitar has rendered all our teles and strats and everything else obsolete. It is absolutely going to revolutionize the entire guitar industry.

It is no longer necessary to have multiple guitars. This one really does do it all. In a couple of years, when they've improved those few patches that need it, this will be the ultimate guitar players tool.

I'm going to sell some of my other guitars so I can buy one.
    "When I gave food to the poor, they called me a saint. When I asked why the poor were hungry, they called me a communist." - Mother Teresa.

"If fascism ever comes to America, it will come wrapped in the American flag and carrying the cross of Jesus"- Sinclair Lewis.

'Ketchup is a vegetable" - Ronald Reagan.

"Let's all hope Olbermann gets put in the hospital for something serious fairly soon" - G.Z. Sound
    +++++
    My web site

That's quite a testimonial, Stringman. I can't wait to give one a try.
    Nerve

Anyone who is disturbed by the idea of newts in a nightclub is potentially dangerous. - Frank Zappa

Comment

Yikes!!! Whats this world coming to?? Pretty soon no one will even KNOW what a Strat is, or a Tele! We`ll have to go to a guitar museum to see what the real deal is!! This is really upsetting!

Tonemaster
      old age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=4699&alid=-1

Comment

Stringman, I bought one last week. I agree it is an awesome piece of kit. On the acoustic models, did you mess around with the tone knob? If you didn't, it changes around the miking of the guitar rather than the tone, and if you roll it around a little, the acoustics get better sounding IMHO.

The guitar itself is what you would expect from an import in the 500-600 range--nothing to write home about, but I have played much worse. I think the guitar is being built by Cort.

Although the electric sounds may not be exactly dead on, for the most part they are quite good. Strat/Les pauls are really good. I also like the Gretsch models & the Gibson 400. Jury is still out on the ES-335. I REALLY like the resonator guitar. Instant "Little Martha".

We'll see if the guitar guys start flaming L6 like the tube ampers do. I happen to be very happy with my Variax/Vetta combination, although I will still hang on to my PRS Singlecut & G&L Legacy also.
        Proud Owner Of:

2002 PRS Singlecut
        Line 6 Variax w/Roland GR30
        Ibanez AFS75
        1997 Anderson Drop Top Classic
        2004 Anderson Hollow T
        2006 Anderson Classic
        1964 Supro Thunderbolt
        Line 6 Vetta

Comment

I'm interested in trying one out but I'm not real keen on the idea of modeling still.

For me, it's mainly a perspective of personalized character.

Sure, these modeling amps and guitars can sound like practically anything...but what if I just want to sound like me?

What if my preference is a genuine Les Paul guitar thru a genuine tube amp? And because of the construction and makeup of the amp and guitar and how it reacts to my fingers, my touch and being up against my body, no amount of modeling will capture that because you can't model mahogany or ash or maple and how it reacts to each person differently.

So while I think there are some great "toys" coming out, I don't believe that any of them will seriously catch on for people who care about being just a little unique.
          My name is Dave and I play guitar.

Comment

Dave, agreed. This guitar does not have the "mojo" my other "real guitars" have. I really bought it as a "toy", not what I consider one of my main guitars. However, playing at home it is pretty fun, as a toy should be, along with being fairly accurate in its models of the real thing.
            Proud Owner Of:

2002 PRS Singlecut
            Ibanez AFS75
            2004 Anderson Hollow T
            2006 Anderson Classic
            1964 Supro Thunderbolt
            Line 6 Vetta

Comment

And I think thats all they`ll ever be,,,toys. Mojo, feel, wood, fret size,,, all come together to give a guitar a personality, a soul! ANd, I`m willing to bet, that in a live situation, just like all digital amps I`ve heard, they lose a lot aurally.

Tonemaster
              old age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=4699&alid=-1

Comment

hey....just a silly idea....

could you take the electronics, the pups, etc. and stick em on an esquire (no pups)...

or any other kind of guitar....i think they'd make more money if they sold the parts as a set because the money being spent on a ****************ty-looking guitar is a lot. i think a lot more people would look into it if they were a lot cheaper (without body, neck, hardware etc) and able to be stuck in your favorite guitar.

that'd be sweet.

?
                out.

link: http://www.livejournal.com/users/caffienatidjazz

Comment

At this point, the answer is no. This thing does not even have pickups. The strings sounds are picked up by a piezo bridge. I am going to copy a quote from another forum to try to explain better than I could:

"The crux of the Variax is that the bridge "pickup" takes the signal from each string and then sends each signal into an A to D signal converter.

Once the signal is converted, it then gets washed thru the modeling filters to shape the sound.

After that, it goes back into a D to A (digital to analog) converter and sent down the cable.

You would not be able to process each strings unique vibration resonance in something off the guitar itself."

Maybe in a couple of years this could be done. In the meantime, I have heard that a strat neck WOULD fit onto the Variax, and at this time that is about the only mod you could do without messing up the way it works. By the way, it does look better in person than the pictures. It is not nearly as ugly a guitar as I thought it would be.
                  Proud Owner Of:

2002 PRS Singlecut
                  Ibanez AFS75
                  2004 Anderson Hollow T
                  2006 Anderson Classic
                  1964 Supro Thunderbolt
                  Line 6 Vetta

Comment

Originally posted by HOOPLE
                    By the way, it does look better in person than the pictures. It is not nearly as ugly a guitar as I thought it would be.

I just received the black variax for my guitar instructor. We played it around Thursday nite & were impressed. I'm not selling my guitars yet, but it sounds nice. Sound still needs to be prepped as a regular guitar, we ran it thru a pod into a PA.

Sat AM we'll fire it up in the studio, maybe try the Vamp or the new Pod XT & a couple pedals. maybe A/B it against some of the models it emulates (strats, Teles, 335, Martin)

We're planning on using it on our next CD ( we have a Byrds cover & its just gotta have the 330 Ric). It'll take some time to get familiar with the sounds.

This could be a real treat for the gigging musician. Just bring one guitar to a gig. Its not so valuable as to require special care. It is a solid body guitar with a bolt on neck, so I'm guessing it'dd be pretty hard to booger up, even with drunks & hootch around.

BTW it has a "Mystery Jack (Cat 5) for future upgrades to the modeling prom. I'm guessing it means other modeled sounds will be available, prob thru the line 6 website & maybe even the guitar port.
                    Your mind is a terrible place to store important information.

Pix & Music at
                    http://www.riochamastudios.com

Comment

I don't think that "analog" guitars are in danger any time soon. I know that I personaly have no interest in moddeling guitars, because I really don't care if I have a lot of tones, Just a few good ones will be fine. even if it sounds 100% top notch on all of the moddles, the whole idea is just not appealing to me. kinda like blow up doll sex, It might feel real, but after using it I would feel like a retard
                      http://biblerants.blogspot.com/

Comment

how bout a pic of this modern marvel?
                        Yea though i walk through the "Valley-Of-Shadows", i shall not fear. For i have 2 spare sets of "Ernie Balls" in my guitar case! Muahahahaha!

Comment

Why can't people just be a little more open minded about this?? The guys at Line 6 have obviously worked EXTREMELY hard to come up with this and with the support of numerous guitar players (like yourselves) they might strike gold with this product.

Hell, I wish they'd get a model somewhere in my neck of the woods for me to try out.

But all I ever hear is "I don't believe in this modelling crap" or "REAL tone comes from REAL gear" etc etc etc

Give the variax a break already.
                          Check out my music at http://nigeld.freewebspace.com

On Toronto vs. the UK

rosskoss: Well there you go then. I can't see how one can choose something else over that? Lotsa music, slutty chicks, nice weather, no SARS...

Six String Stuntman Steve: No SARS? Hear Hear!!! This might be the better place to go afterall!!

Comment

Hmmmm...replace guitar tone with simulated tone.

Being an avid Line6 user I can see where you're coming from, but once you've had a chance to really try the thing out I suspect there will be some very serious limitations with this concept.

Please play one side-by-side with a few great "old-fashioned" guitars before you start clearing out your collection.

Comment

But all I ever hear is "I don't believe in this modelling crap" or "REAL tone comes from REAL gear" etc etc etc

I think your exaggerating Six String Stuntman Steve, this thread even started with a glowing review of the Variax.

Even if the Variax's models were all perfect replicas, you'd still always have the same feel/weight/mojo because your playing the same guitar. Part of the fun of owning multiple guitars is the way that Les Pauls, Teles, Strats, Parkers, Ricks, etc all look, sound, and feel very different.

Until Line6 can replicate all that, there's no reason to believe that traditional guitars are in any danger. It may be able to sound like a nylon string guitar, but it won't feel like one.

I'm not bashing Line6 at all, I've tried their amps, I've got a POD, and I do intend to try the Variax. But even if I got one, it would never be my only guitar.

Comment

Working...
                              X