Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp buzzing

Hi!

I have been using an Hybrid Electar DR-60 for the last year. I had a couple of gigs where it has been played loud. I got this amp from a friend; he got it brand new, used it for a year at low volume before I got it. I never had a problem, untill now, and think it is a fairly good amp for the price. Now when I play a F, F# or G on my A-string there is a buzz. Clean channel or distorsion, buzz is still there. It has been like that for a couple of weeks and it drives me nut even thought it is not very loud. The same notes on another string also give me the same buzz. I also got the buzz from the same F, F# and G with my Keyboard hooked to the amp.

Today...HAAARRRGH!! I found a tiny buzz on my low-E! I have to solve the problem...GRRRR...and I do not have money to buy another one...

Any suggestion?

Thank

Daniel

Daniel, I'm no amp tech, but I wonder if those particular tones are causing some kind of harmonic vibration in your amp or speaker. Have you tried setting your tone controls different to see if it goes away or gets worse?
    Rock and Roll isn't dead, it's just wounded - Caveman

Comment

Originally posted by Old Geezer
      Daniel, I'm no amp tech, but I wonder if those particular tones are causing some kind of harmonic vibration in your amp or speaker. Have you tried setting your tone controls different to see if it goes away or gets worse?

It get worse if I get rid of the treble content using my guitar pot or maybe it is just easier to hear since the buzz is more on the bass/midrange side.

I will start to troubleshoot tonight or maybe tomorrow. If one of you have suggestions where/how I should start It would be nice. Also if you have tricks/tips to spare...like one guy told me to put some nail polish on the thread of the screws, it is supposed to behave just as locktite.

Have a nice day,

Daniel

Comment

Buzzes like this can be electronic or mechanical, meaning rattling cabinet. Since yours seems to be getting worse, I'd suspect mechanical.

Get some ear plugs and crank it up, listening for the buzz. Check the cabinet joints, speaker, anything that is screwed down. An old auto mechanics trick is to hold a long screwdriver on the parts to transmit the vibration. Put one end of the screwdriver to the part you think might be rattling, the other end to your ear (with the ear plugs in, save your hearing) and when you hit the rattling part, you'll hear it throught the screwdriver handle.

Chances are, you've got some screws loosening up from vibrations and you'll just need to find them and tighten them down.

Good luck.
        Bob I

I know that there are people who do not love their fellow man, and I hate people like that!

Comment

YEAH!

I found were the buzz WAS coming from. I have a small grill on top of the amp and it is the origin of the buzz. It was buzzing even if the 4 screws were tight. Tomorrow I will add 2 screws in the middle and a thin felt underneat!

I checked several other things before finding the origin of the buzz because I could not imagine that such a small grill with four tight screws could generate such a strong buzz!!

Good tone is back I am an happy man again!

Daniel M

Comment

Cool.

Comment

Working...
            X