X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Disappointing Concert Ever

Let's get some discussion going. Sly and the Family Stone, around 1971, at the Oklahoma City Fairgrounds. A bad, uncomfortable venue anyway. Sly's announcer came out and yelled "let's hear it for Sly!". We've all heard that before, but he continued with it, saying that each time wasn't loud enough, that we could do better. It went on for about 10 minutes. People were getting tired of it, some just sat down and stopped yelling. Finally, Sly came out. Like I said, it was a bad venue, the acoustics sucked. It was hot in there temperature wise. Sly couldn't seem to keep up with the rest of the band. Oh well.

Not long after that, Neil Young at the Oklahoma City Myriad. Only a slightly better building for acoustics, but Linda Ronstadt backed him up and sounded terrific. Neil was totally inebriated, doing shots of salt and tequila on stage. He managed to do okay on guitar, but his singing was laughable. In fact, every time he missed a note he laughed about it.

Any more horror stories?
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Nerve<br />
    <br />
    Anyone who is disturbed by the idea of newts in a nightclub is potentially dangerous. - Frank Zappa<br />
    </div>

Beach Boys, New York City, 1990-ish.

It was a double bill with Chicago (who were OK, except for an interminably long drum solo on 'Beginings' and a few corn-ball power ballads).

The singing was terrible, and they seemed to think that 'Kokomo' truly required 3 encores, each one exactly the same as the previous, but with more space for audience applause.

Outdoor stadium shows as a rule tend to suck. The more shows I see, the more I realize the inverse correlation between quality and venue size. In fact, next time I'm just going to lock myself in a closet with the performer and have the time of my life
    <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;I had a cat named Snowball<br />
    She died! She died!<br />
    Mom said she was sleeping<br />
    She lied! She lied!&quot;</div>

Comment

Emerson, Lake and Palmer. Really loved the band, but when I got to see them it was in a basketball type venue, and it was SO loud I left a gig for the first (and only) time in my career.

Ear bleeding loud. Terrible.

P.S. I saw Sly about a year before you did, and he was late, high, and got into it with the cops but the show was great.

Comment

I went to an Eric Johnson show at the Moore theater in Seattle a couple of years ago...very cool venue...I was expecting a really cool show..

Boring!!! Boooooooooooooooorrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiing!!

There was so much compression on the bass and the guitar that there were absolutely no dynamics at all....everything sounded the same... add to that the singing and stage presense were so uninspired, it was almost like listening to Bob Dole lecture about economics..
        Thanks, and rock on!

Comment

I saw Foreigner (yeah, I know what did I expect, right?) in '83 or '84. Sound was bad, they looked like cardboard cutouts and the playing was pure slop. None of tight crisp sound they had on the radio. But hey, it was an outdoor show on a beautiful summer's evening and there were other things to do there to have fun , so it wasn't all that bad!

Comment

I've listed the following a few times before around here as my least favorite concert ever:

Joe Satriani @ Irvine Meadows.

Vivian Campbell and Riverdogs opened up...they rocked!

Eric Johnson was next...great tone, great singer, cool rhythm combo to back him up. Sure, he's boring to watch but I'm weird 'cause I don't like to "watch" concerts...I like to hear them.

Joe was up last. I was really looking forward to seeing him live as I was (and still am) a fan of his.
            I was seriously disappointed...sure, he played well but he kept playing the same harmonic vibrato arm dive bomb trick in every solo.
            On top of that he kept making that rock and roll "orgasmic kissy face" while playing that redundant lick...

Note to Joe: don't pose, just play.

We walked out 3/4 of the way through his set...
            My name is Dave and I play guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by braif
              I went to an Eric Johnson show at the Moore theater in Seattle a couple of years ago...very cool venue...I was expecting a really cool show..

There was so much compression on the bass and the guitar that there were absolutely no dynamics at all....everything sounded the same... add to that the singing and stage presense were so uninspired, it was almost like listening to Bob Dole lecture about economics..

Interesting...I had the exact same experience going to see EJ about 5 years ago. When he first took the stage he looked up at the crowd once. His head was down the rest of the show.

And there was so much **************** on his guitar sound, I had trouble hearing the difference between his strat and his 335 sounds.

But then halfway thru his set he did Cliffs Of Dover totally dry and quite clean. It was stunningly beautiful playing; very dynamic, very powerful.

Then once the song was over, it was "click click click click" with all the pdals and I went back to sleep.

Comment

I've seen the Stones 3 times and haven't been impressed with em in all 3 shows. Thankfully the tickets for two of the shows were freebies or I'd have been double pissed. They always seem to be in venues where the sound sucks, and all you hear is a tiny little band and a whole lot of Jagger doing those idiot robotic dance moves of his that have all the spontenaety of a tax return form.
                <div class="signaturecontainer">- <b>CAUTION</b>: this product has caused some laboratory rats to rip through their cages, fly across the room and brutally murder hundreds of innocent people. </div>

Comment

Two weeks before Welcome To The Jungle hit MTV, I saw Guns 'N Roses at (get this)...The Oshkosh Civic Center. I had Appetite and was loving it, so when I found out they were coming I was first in line for tickets.

...God they were drunk...god they were drugged...god they were awful...just wretched. Words alone cannot describe the crystal pure suck that these guys were passing off as a concert. The show ended halfway into the last song when Axl got pissed as someone, threw his mic and launched himself into crowd.

Don't get me wrong, I was thoroughly entertained...but that had more to do with the spectacle and the girl sitting on my shoulders that night.

Comment

Originally posted by braif

Yep, on the G3 tour I actually fell asleep during EJ's set. I had about 10th row seats.
                    <div class="signaturecontainer">Trooper #219!<br />
                    <br />
                    <a href="http://www.thedangerrangers.com" target="_blank">The Danger Rangers</a><br />
                    <br />
                    DJ's on the radio<br />
                    Karaoke in the shower<br />
                    ¡Support Live Música! <br />
                    <br />
                    </div>

Comment

Originally posted by thamiam
                      Beach Boys, New York City, 1990-ish.

Same here. I saw them at around the same time (I was about 5 at the time, but Mom's a major music fan so I saw everything going. The crowd was way bigger than they expected it to be (close to 50,000). They played about 9 songs, then went offstage and asked for more money. They didn't get it, they didn't play. 35 minutes total.

Comment

Wishbone Ash at the legendary Warehouse in New Orleans, circa 1973. I'd been into them for years, had long since given up on seeing them, they just seemed to never tour.

Well, that night at the warehouse I saw why. They couldn't do it. I've seen bar bands cover Jailbait better than they played it. The trademark harmony leads were played out of synch and poorly articulated. The singing was off key. We were all standing there agape, no one could believe it. They didn't even have the excuse of being stoned, they simply couldn't play their own ****************.

Comment

Actually, it wasn't a dissappointing concert: it was just the
                          opening act:

THE JOE PERRY PROJECT, opening for Rush on their Moving
                          Pictures tour in 1981.

JOE was "on something" for sure. They were loud, horrible,
                          definetely NOT what I wanted to see.

To cap it off, they played a song called "BUTT PLUG" that
                          they said the record company wouldn't let them put it on
                          the record. I wonder why!?!?!?!?!?!

Butt plug consisted of them riffing and Joe singing:
                          "Butt plug,
                          whoa oh oh
                          Butt plug
                          whoa oh oh"

for FIVE MINUTES.

Awful.

Comment

George Thorogood and the Destroyers at Bob Carr Auditorium in Orlando, 1981. Generally a good show, George is a showman and has some chops, but the sax was so loud I thought my head would explode. It was painful. I had to put my fingers in my ears through every sax solo. The soung guy must have been stone deaf.
                            <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;Say hello to the rug's topography...&quot;</div>

Comment

Originally posted by aliensporebomb
                              Actually, it wasn't a dissappointing concert: it was just the
                              opening act:

THE JOE PERRY PROJECT, opening for Rush on their Moving
                              Pictures tour in 1981.

JOE was "on something" for sure. They were loud, horrible,
                              definetely NOT what I wanted to see.

To cap it off, they played a song called "BUTT PLUG" that
                              they said the record company wouldn't let them put it on
                              the record. I wonder why!?!?!?!?!?!

Butt plug consisted of them riffing and Joe singing:
                              "Butt plug,
                              whoa oh oh
                              Butt plug
                              whoa oh oh"

for FIVE MINUTES.

Awful.

LMFAO!!!
                              <div class="signaturecontainer">Nerve<br />
                              <br />
                              Anyone who is disturbed by the idea of newts in a nightclub is potentially dangerous. - Frank Zappa<br />
                              </div>

Comment

Working...
                              X