Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when you play bebop solos....

do you "quote" alot of licks from heads of standards?

are there times when you are thinking more about "chord harmonizing" and times when you're thinking more about just developing an idea?

BTW I'm no good at bebop
    The purpose of art is not the release of a momentary ejection of adrenaline but rather the gradual, lifelong construction of a state of wonder and serenity.
    - Glenn Gould

As a rule, per gig:

Quote once, you're hip

Quote twice, you're twice as hip

Quote three times, you're a loser

It's like the inverse to the "make a mistake" rule.

As for chord harmonizing, in bebop, where the tempo's are usually up and the chord changes I flying, I tend to think more about creating lines that flow smooth and create strong emotions, and only worry about hitting the really important changes.
    "I had a cat named Snowball
    She died! She died!
    Mom said she was sleeping
    She lied! She lied!"

Comment

Originally posted by thamiam
      I tend to think more about creating lines that flow smooth and create strong emotions, and only worry about hitting the really important changes.

so....

...what kinda lines do you play over the changes to Giant Steps?

The purpose of art is not the release of a momentary ejection of adrenaline but rather the gradual, lifelong construction of a state of wonder and serenity.
      - Glenn Gould

Comment

In order to play bebop, several important things must be taken into consideration.

1) You must completely and totally be aware of all changes.

2) You must have at least some bebop vocabulary in order to have a foundation to build from. turnarounds and ii-V's are essential.

3) A good working knowledge of substitutions.

4) Good time feel. In order to swing at bop tempos and not rush. Rushing is the enemy of good bop (all music actually)

5) Knowledge of all arpeggios shapes, triads, and modes.

6) EXPERIENCE. You can't play bop without experience. Practice is essential. You can't wing it.

In regards to Giant Steps, I approach the changes triadically. I basically string together the triads for each chord. I don't think in key centers as much as chord by chord. Other than the ii-V's that connect the three tonic keys.

Here is my version.

http://www.guitar.com/artists/sounds/Scott_Lerner-Giant_Steps.mp3

Here is a midi version of Mr. PC that I recorded last night.

http://www.guitar.com/mp3/mp3/Scott_Lerner-Mr_PC.mp3

Thanks for listening!

Scott
        Click here if you wanna see (and hear) something really scary!

Scott Lerner Music Website

Comment

I take Giant Steps opposite of Scott. I think in terms of a circle of ii-V-I's or ii-V's. This is the approach I learned from a Joe Diorio book.

Not that I do it particularly well, but I'm working on it. I usually take an almost blues approach, playing a lick over the first ii-V that resolves to the next key center, than playing a single note (either long tone or rhythmically), then modifying my first lick a little in the new key. It kind of works out to an 'every other key' approach, with a bluesy sound.
          She died! She died!
          She lied! She lied!"

Comment

for giant steps? key centers, ii - V7 's

sometimes even major pentatonics

but then, ima bassist who just blundered in here cause i was bored over there ...
            ---
            namaste

if you're feeling blue, try breathing some more

Comment

Originally posted by estew72
              do you "quote" alot of licks from heads of standards?

It's actually been suggested as a method by David Baker to learn the phrases from bebop heads and then transpose them to all keys use them as a basic bebop vocabulary. I've never really done it but it always made sense to me theoretically.
              Terje Larsson

inbox is full, send e-mail instead

Hey, wanna look at my comics? Come here then http://terjelarssonserier.blogspot.com/

Ah, sorry, it's all in swedish, but you can always look!

You can also check out my crazy friend Dan's crazy website where he'll teach you to master the guitar in 8 minutes (or days... or whatever).

http://spytunes.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Terje

It's actually been suggested as a method by David Baker to learn the phrases from bebop heads and then transpose them to all keys use them as a basic bebop vocabulary. I've never really done it but it always made sense to me theoretically.

That's funny, because a lot of the bebop heads writen by Charlie Parker, Dizzy, Charlie Christian, Benny Goodman, etc... were just phrases snatched from solos and then played as heads over a reharmonization of whatever song they came from.

Circle of Life, or something.
                She died! She died!
                She lied! She lied!"

Comment

Originally posted by thamiam

That's funny, because a lot of the bebop heads writen by Charlie Parker, Dizzy, Charlie Christian, Benny Goodman, etc... were just phrases snatched from solos and then played as heads over a reharmonization of whatever song they came from.

Circle of Life, or something.

As I said it always sounded logical to me.
                  Terje Larsson

inbox is full, send e-mail instead

Hey, wanna look at my comics? Come here then http://terjelarssonserier.blogspot.com/

Ah, sorry, it's all in swedish, but you can always look!

You can also check out my crazy friend Dan's crazy website where he'll teach you to master the guitar in 8 minutes (or days... or whatever).

http://spytunes.co.uk/

Comment

My friend who's an amazing sax player says I'll cover alot of ground if I pick up a Charlie Parker Omnibook
                    - Glenn Gould

Comment

Originally posted by estew72
                      My friend who's an amazing sax player says I'll cover alot of ground if I pick up a Charlie Parker Omnibook

If bebop has a bible, that's the one.
                      She died! She died!
                      She lied! She lied!"

Comment

Working...
                      X