Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

well, the board is hummin' right along..

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• well, the board is hummin' right along..

...so i'll post a worn out question.

i've finally upgraded to a larger, faster computer and am looking for a program for mixing music. i know this has been asked before, but i didn't take notes.
    it needs to be simple and, hopefully, have decent results. what would you recommend for a beginner who is a borderline idiot?
    cakewalk? ect?

i'd like to use my pod in the setup, if that enters into the decision.
    thanks.
    we're forming a club and letting everyone in.

Cool Edit Pro 2

Only choice my man.

See it at www.syntrillium.com

Can you say warez?
    Click here if you wanna see (and hear) something really scary!

Scott Lerner Music Website

Comment

Originally posted by jazbrokr
      Cool Edit Pro 2

Only choice my man.

See it at www.syntrillium.com

Can you say warez?

Warez.

Oh, that was rhetorical.

Comment

Your timing is good, my friend. I've just been through the painful excercise of trying out swags of demos, cracks, etc to find out what software to buy.

I ended up buying (well, got wife to buy it for Xmas) Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro for $99 USD. It has all of the functionality that I need and has by far the most intuitive user interface of the lot. I really enjoy using it and it hasn't crashed yet, but I've got 768MB of RAM, so that probably helps.

They don't make a demo available, but in my experience all of the demos were crappy and had really limited functionality. They must be struggling with crackers.

Good Luck!!

Comment

Mixing

Not Recording, right?

I use Sonar. Its not cheap or real simple, but it has a lot of nice features.
          Panning & Volume envelopes
          Unlimited tracks
          unlimited undo's
          nice formats for editing both MIDI and Analog
          Its EZ to see what your doing. Cut & Paste, Delete, drag & drop, synchronization, auto punch etc are all real straight forward

Lots of nice effects but as processed effects. Real time parametric equalizing and compression and other extensive effects are not available. This is not real critical except for those effects that are interactive (equalization )

Cakewalk makes some less expensive, less elaborate software that should work nicely.

Haven't used Protools or Cubase

You might be able to use sound forges Acid Pro too.
          Your mind is a terrible place to store important information.

Pix & Music at
          http://www.riochamastudios.com

Comment

mixing AND recording, steve. in this wonderful vision, i see running the pod directly to the soundboard(?) and using the program to mix & send the finished product to the cd burner.

so far, there's sonar, cool edit pro 2 and cakewalk guitar traks pro. i was hoping this would be an easy choice.

Comment

Doh! I assumed we were talking recording software.

Comment

Originally posted by koiwoi
                Doh! I assumed we were talking recording software.

well.....i assume the recording software is there, part of the cd burner, but i may be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by SKEAMO

well.....i assume the recording software is there, part of the cd burner, but i may be wrong.
                  With Cakewalk, I run a Line6 Ax2 in stereo to my sound card, record any tracks etc, then export the mix to WAV or directly to MP3. This is the easiest way that I know of. It doesn't give me much control over the mix, but I'm not selling my music, so who cares.

Comment

Problems with PC recording

Multitracking needs a really good sound card. I have a Delta 1010 ($600)

Latency. PC's are not designed specifically for recording, so they need buffers to allow the operating system to do silly things like check for email, update the clock etc. This runs down your CPU capability & ties up RAM mempory. You can set up a separate hardware profile to minimize CPU/RAM theft by tirning off graphics accelerators TCPIP network cards etc. You can set up a new user to disable software gizmos that steal CPU/RAM time as well. But its a pain in the patootie. Fast CPU's (1.6Ghz and up), and lots of RAM (500Mhz), and a really fast Hard drive all help.

Portability is a problem, even with a laptop as they typically have **************** soundcards and few good soundcards are made in PCMCIA format. I had one stripped for Cakewalk & really got tired of hooking up cables & waiting for it to boot etc.

I use cakewalk with a fast system, and even record at home with it. But for serious recording I'm using a Yamaha AW16G. Its $1000, but by the time you upgrade your PC to get it satisfactory, you could easily spend that much.
                    Your mind is a terrible place to store important information.

Pix & Music at
                    http://www.riochamastudios.com

Comment

thanks for the info. i think i have a 2ghz cpu. i'm getting the hang of multi-trac cassette recording. perhaps a better route would be to get it down pat with the multitrack, then just transfer to cd with the computer & bypass the computer mixing.
                      can music be transferred from cassette to cd burner using an mp3 player/recorder? is anything else needed? is this practical? decent results?

Comment

Working...
                      X