No announcement yet.

Which amp would you choose ?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which amp would you choose ?

I'm looking to get another amp, primarily as a back-up for my Rivera M60 combo.

I went amp shopping this weekend at a number of stores and I've narrowed my choice down to one of the following 3 amps:

Orange AD30R
    Vox AC30
    Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb RI

I play straight-ahead rock ( kinda like Tom Petty, Counting Crows, Pearl Jam )

My only beef with the Fender and Vox is the fact that they need to be cranked to break up at all .... they've both got clean tone to die for, but so does my Rivera.

What would you choose and why?

Originally posted by Chirpy_72
    I'm looking to get another amp, primarily as a back-up for my Rivera M60 combo.

I went amp shopping this weekend at a number of stores and I've narrowed my choice down to one of the following 3 amps:

Orange AD30R
    Vox AC30
    Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb RI

I play straight-ahead rock ( kinda like Tom Petty, Counting Crows, Pearl Jam )

My only beef with the Fender and Vox is the fact that they need to be cranked to break up at all .... they've both got clean tone to die for, but so does my Rivera.

What would you choose and why?

An AC-30 and a Deluxe Reverb are miles apart as far as volume goes. The Deluxe is 22 watts and an AC-30 is thirty watts but it is a class A amp and is at least twice as loud as the Fender. I played in a band for many years with a guy who had an AC-30 and that thing was way louder than my Super Reverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack E Martling

...an AC-30 is thirty watts but it is a class A amp and is at least twice as loud as the Fender.

Quite so. How 'bout an AC-15? I recommend comparing a DR and an AC-15, if possible, and see which one gives you the best breakup-to-volume ratio. I used to have a Silver-face DR that I kept on 10 all the time...sounded phenomenal, but it was pretty loud.
      -----------------

Originally Posted by Jimmy James: Zippers are like SAT tests. They're geared more for white people and don't reflect black culture, sensibility, complicated hand shakes and Good Times reruns.

Originally Posted by StringJunky: The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with Maalox, Tums, and The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion.

Comment

I didn't think there were any new AC-30s anymore?

And true "Class A" they are not...maybe used to be...in the '60s...

My name is Dave and I play guitar.

Comment

I didn't think they made new Vox AC30's either, but I was in the geetar store on saturday and they had one .... $1349 new. the same store had the '65 RI Deluxe Reverb for the same price as MF or GC ... about $750 (ish )

Later that day, I visited the store that had the Orange and a used ( Korg RI ) AC30 ( early 90's I assume )

Orange also has a 15 watter .... maybe that's the key

Comment

I don't know about the Orange, 'cause I've never played through one.

I would've thought that the Fender wouldn't add much that your Rivera can't do, but the AC30 would give you some sounds that you wouldn't be able to get with it.

Comment

Originally posted by koiwoi
              I don't know about the Orange, 'cause I've never played through one.

I would've thought that the Fender wouldn't add much that your Rivera can't do, but the AC30 would give you some sounds that you wouldn't be able to get with it.

That's what I think too. I can nail the fender sound with the Rivera .... hell, I also can get a great british sound as well ....

I guess I just have GAS .... real bad ....

Comment

Originally posted by Chirpy_72

That's what I think too. I can nail the fender sound with the Rivera .... hell, I also can get a great british sound as well ....

I guess I just have GAS .... real bad ....
                Could be worse. I'm Jonesin' for a Rivera!

Comment

Me, I'd go for the Deluxe. For the reason that it's a good amp that's not too loud, but loud enough. I've got two big 100 watt amps for large venues, but they're too loud and too damn heavy to move around for friendly jams. I bought a Blues JR awhile back for just the reason of having something small and still had a good tone. I use a tubescreamer for saturation at lower volumes. I think the Deluxe is a better amp than the JR and wont embaress you playing it anywhere.
                  On a side note, I used the JR the other night at a gig and it was great. I usually play through a Red Knob Twin and barely use what it's capable of delivering. With the JR, I just opened it up and let the little dog eat. It held it's own with a full band and then some. Loudest 15 watts I've ever heard. The Deluxe is 22 watts. You just know that is one bad little boy.
                  Rock and Roll isn't dead, it's just wounded - Caveman

Comment

I chexcked out an AC15 recently and was imprressed as hell. If it's enough amp for ya it might be the one to choose...

Comment

Out of those, probably the Fender. You'll be able to get better tones at more reasonable volumes (at least compared to the Vox).

Just a thought...the Gibson Goldtone amplifiers are great. They sound like a clean Vox, except for the "boxy" tone. It's more open and clear. IMO, it's the best clean tone I've heard out of an amp. The overdriven tones are wonderful, too. They're basically the old Trace Elliot Velocette amplifiers with new cosmetics.
                      "The wisest man I ever knew taught me something I never forgot. And although I never forgot it, I never quite memorized it either. So what I'm left with is the memory of having learned something very wise that I can't quite remember." -- George Carlin

--Member of The Reasonable Fellers Union, established 7/20/04--

Be kind.

Comment

Never played either...but I've always loved the sound of them there Vox-AC30s.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Quail
                          I chexcked out an AC15 recently and was imprressed as hell. If it's enough amp for ya it might be the one to choose...
                          I'd LOVE to try one of those! The AC30's are loud, so the 15 sounds like a great choice.

Comment

As was said before, the AC30 is much louder than a Deluxe... I would go with a deluxe if you want to get grainey, and an ac-15 if you want chimey growl... but another thing I would try is get a deluxe, have it rebiased to get gainier, and even try some yellowjackets to bring the output down some more... then you can crank it into power tube saturation and enjoy it...
                            "Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' "
                            — Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by EvilTwin
                              Out of those, probably the Fender. You'll be able to get better tones at more reasonable volumes (at least compared to the Vox).

Just a thought...the Gibson Goldtone amplifiers are great. They sound like a clean Vox, except for the "boxy" tone. It's more open and clear. IMO, it's the best clean tone I've heard out of an amp. The overdriven tones are wonderful, too. They're basically the old Trace Elliot Velocette amplifiers with new cosmetics.

I have two Goldtones. I'd agree that they're the best sounding amps I've ever heard. Very clear and articulate, but with a very warm crunch when pushed.

Comment

Working...
                              X