• New Quail/Shakkal Cyberblues!

Here it is!! It's called Beta Blues.

Beta Blues

Personnel:

Shakkal: Guitar (panned Right)
    Rob Quail: Guitar (Left), Bass, Kick-Drum, Producer
    Drums: TamaSabian
    Organ: Terry Blankley

We built this one like the last one, one chorus at a time; so each of us could hear what the other had just done before recording our next solo break, and alternating rhythm guitar duties. We did the bass first with a click-track, then built the guitars on top, a chorus at a time; then Shak's buddy TamaSabian provided the drums, and my bud Terry Blankley put that sweet B3 on top. I added a little click n' drag kick drum to round out the bottom end.

I came up with the "head" at the beginning, which I play once and Shak plays once; then its into the solos and all that wankin'. I thought the trade-offs at the end really came together with a nice live feel. Once again, to keep it spontaneous, we kept the number of takes to a minimum. That organ solo is a first take, too, BTW.

This was fantastic fun putting this together. Thanks to TamaSabian and Terry for their help, and also thanks to Shak for playing his ass off!!

nice job dudes!

Nice to finally hear you shakkal.

Scott
    Click here if you wanna see (and hear) something really scary!

Scott Lerner Music Website

Comment

Originally posted by jazbrokr
      nice job dudes!

Geez, thanks for the detailed critique...!

Comment

At least I listened!!! I'll give some details later. I need to run for a bit!
        Click here if you wanna see (and hear) something really scary!

Scott Lerner Music Website

Comment

Originally posted by jazbrokr
          At least I listened!!! I'll give some details later. I need to run for a bit!

just razzin ya. Thanks fer listening, Scott!

Comment

what a great tune, Rob! the recording is superb..clear as a bell.
            love the trade-offs at the end.
            we're forming a club and letting everyone in.

Comment

hey rob,
              you guy's did a fantastic job on that blues jam!! it's right in the pocket!!!! makes ya wanna get up and shuffle around, the b3 is smooth, "sometimes i wonder, will a matchbox hold my cloths" it's way cool!!! myles loud

Comment

thanks, guys!!

Comment

Great work guys! I can't think of anything to add. Just good playing, recording, and groove.

Comment

Very nice playing, great blues techniques. The only critique I have is the one I just gave Doc/Casper. Totally panning to one side doesn't sound natural. When two guys play on different sides of the stage, a lot of the sounds bleed over into the middle.
                    Nerve

Anyone who is disturbed by the idea of newts in a nightclub is potentially dangerous. - Frank Zappa

Comment

This is a tasty tune.

Great playing everywhere.

Quail, I didn't know you had a producer bone in you. Nice job.

Comment

Originally posted by NervePoet
                        Very nice playing, great blues techniques. The only critique I have is the one I just gave Doc/Casper. Totally panning to one side doesn't sound natural. When two guys play on different sides of the stage, a lot of the sounds bleed over into the middle.

Thanks re playing.

re the panning, that is odd. Nothing was panned hard to either side; shak was panned about 15% to the right, and me about 15% to the left. Could it be that the MP3 encoding process exaggerates this effect? Cause when I did the mix, I was worried that the pan wasn't exaggerated enough to differentiate the two guitars...

Comment

Through the small speakers I have at work, the panning effect is quite apparent.

I really liked the quick tradeoff parts you guys did at the end, hard to believe you weren't playing together to get the smooth tradeoff effect.

Nice job, great tone by both of you. Love it!

Comment

Thanks for the kind words guys, the process of doing this ping-pong jams is great fun!

BTW, Scott (I mean jazbrokr, not THAT other one ) ... never heard my wanking before? I'm in quite a few of those cyberjams, plus the previous blues collab with Rob ... not that I guarantee a pretty listen

Comment

i like this one alot. shak, i have something of albert collins where he plays a tone that is almost dead on to what you used. can't remember the name of the tune, but now i gotta go scramble through my old cassette tapes. (at least i didn't say 8 track)

rob, your tone was dee-lish too. i am on my third listen now and it is apparent that you guys are both refining the process. was that the purple g&l? whatever it was i really like the way the notes separate one to the other.

next go round i would like to see you guys cop the live phenomenon that happens when two guys are trading chops and sometimes they step on the edges of the other guys bit. we all know it happens live, but in a recording context it is easy to mind your manners and not overstep. in reality, i think it would lend nicely. almost like one guy is thinking "ok, i'm gonna take one more" and the other guy is saying "oh no, i got it". i know you know what i am talking about.

btw, i think it very important that you guys have proper blues names. for example, mine is wingtip willie. i used wayco willie for a few years during prohibition, but it became unsafe to use that one in some states.

Comment

Working...
                              X